RECOVERY QUESTION: Essential Sleep

'Dale

So, Fellow Rider,

If there is an obvious chink in my armour that prevents me from improving my training & racing, it would be not getting enough Zzzzz.

I prob average 6.5 to 7.0 hrs.

What I hear commonly is a minimum of 8.0 hrs.

What tips, top secrets, ideas, suggestions do you have to get closer to that superb 8.0 Zzzzz?

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/gck/lowres/gckn248l.jpg

I also struggle to sleep for 8 hrs. Normally manage to sleep 7hrs and then it’s like the wake up switch has been flipped on and no matter how hard I try cannot get back to sleep.

I reckon that each person gets accustomed to what their body needs and anything longer than that is not necessary and this is not always 8hrs, it could be more or it could be less.

One thing that does help though is to ensure that the room is completely dark, light is a signal to your body that it’s time to wake up.

And if you have to get up for a nature break early in the morning, keep your eyes closed to stop the sunlight from reaching your command centre (where the wake up switch is).

I dunno why but I need a min of 8 hours to be functional the next day..my typical day's sleep is

9 hours (go to bed at 21:00 and wake up at 06:00)

My sleep patterns vary. Min 5 hours, max 8.

Love my sleep though, so sometimes it has been known to stretch to 14. One occasion was this year's new years celebrations. I was out of it from 16h00 on the 31st to 06h00 on the 1st. Stress of the year finally got to me!

And if you have to get up for a nature break early in the morning, keep your eyes closed to stop the sunlight from reaching your command centre (where the wake up switch is).

And if you bump yourself unconscious during this sleepwalking venture there is an additional 1/2 hour sleep in it!

Edited by vanniri

I tend to wake up at the same time every morning, no mater what time I went to bed. 4:15 is the first I wake. then I lay awake till 5:30. get up for a coffee. then the day starts with some admin.

I've got to have a minimum of 8 hours a night otherwise I am us grumpy as hell. Or that's what the missus says anyway :blush:

Many riders also recommend that power nap after training - 30 to 60 minutes - or after racing. To boost recovery.

How many of you try that practice on?

Many riders also recommend that power nap after training - 30 to 60 minutes - or after racing. To boost recovery.

I don't try it, it just happens.

Years ago when I was still tri'ng to train 2 or 3 times a day I used to take a quick 20 minute nap during my 30 minute lunch break, found it helped a lot to see me thru the rest of the day.

After a hard session I can't really do anything until I've had one.

Struggle on this one - wake up at 4:30 to be on the road at 5:30 twice a week. The other days I sleep in till 5:00

So I average 6 to 7 hours - you know the song - sleep when you're dead :-)

I must learn to switch the TV off a lil' earlier.

In some sleep research, it has been noted that the hrs slept before midnight is about DOUBLE the quality of rest.

Dunno how that all works. Hmmm.... :huh:

I must learn to switch the TV off a lil' earlier.

In some sleep research, it has been noted that the hrs slept before midnight is about DOUBLE the quality of rest.

Dunno how that all works. Hmmm.... :huh:

So when you go to sleep, to improve the quality of your sleep, set you alarm clock to wake you up two hours earlier and at the same time, set the time back by two hours.

You'll wake up at the same time, but you'll be scoring more of that magical before-midnight kip!