ICE ID vs Sweat Safe- Information thread/poll

Lukep

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer ICE ID or Sweat Safe and why?

• ICE ID
    • Sweat safe

I have the sweat safe never leave home for a ride without it. costs R40 a month. what I like about it is that there is no way it will come off my wrist should I fall off etc. but the best sweatsafe/iceid is the one that is never needed!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

eish :unsure:

Ja picked it up with my bibs and top, you have to supply all you medical aid details, ICE contact person and numbers + medical aid details. They then give you a red ER24 band with the ER24 emergency no on it + your unique number on the inside, so I guess in an emergency they dial the ER24 no and give your unique no a reference to the despatch unit...speculating here haven't used it yet :D

btw I am a member at the fourways club.

I used mine once :-(

The ER24 guys were clueless as to what it meant, but they did use it as a trump card to stop the Netcare guys from taking me away...

I have to follow that up with them then....btw, I am from the CT club, Westlake (my girlfriends mom entered me there)..nice to meet a fellow club rider :)

Haha! Also a Westlake member. Recently returned.

I have an ICE-ID myself. If you change med aid details or anything, just get a new one. Replacement tags aren't expensive. On the contrary, they're cheap when compared to the actual cost that could arise from not having one when something happens.

Sweatsafe etc - same sort of thing - BUT I have a comprehensive med aid, with gap cover. All details are on my ICE ID. Which is visible. I see no reason to pay R 40 p/m for something that gives me R 100,000 cover for accidental hospitalisation when I pay for an unlimited cover option.

At the end of the day - have SOMETHING that is visible. And not just on the bike, because that will be the last thing getting any sort of attention and could be totally missed.

ok, i've had a look at the site now, and understand the concept a bit more. it's a medic alert bracelet, repackaged. ironically for a health and safety product they seem to have made a killing.

for R179 i think i'll get the printer and some contact out and make my own. i will put the money i saved towards buying the napier olive farm they are selling. i **** you not. there is a link from here: http://www.iceid.co.za/pages.php?pageid=1

Sweat Safe as I do not have a medical aid, you can get cover for R50,000 or R100,000 and its for all accidents, cycling or otherwise (or so I am led to believe?).

I have medical aid, but went for a SweatSafe option that included medi-vacs from neighbouring countries.

I have the ICEID too. Did an order a while back for some family members and cycling buddies.

I came off in December , hit my head and lay passed out next to the K101 for about 30 minutes before someone stopped , called the ambulance , and my wife from the details on my ICEID. Long story short I got sent to decent hospital and all ends well.

Moral - Have some form of identification on you - Always.

I use the original: MedicAlert. They have different options available, including a new silicone band as well as the velcro ones, the metal ones and the dog tags. Bonus with MedicAlert is that you have basic info on the tag and then there is a tel nr to a call centre where they can have plenty more medical history.

Just a reminder to everyone: if you wear it on your ankle, keep it on your left ankle. Kurt Stockton had his IceId ripped off by his chainring at fast one last year when he came off. He had to call his little sister to get medical aid details and to get her to call the relevant people whilst he was in a mangled mess.

• 2 weeks later...

For those involved

Thanks so much, I have posted your feedback on www.iceid.co.za under TESTIMONIALS

Take care out there

Regards

Gila

I actually wear both. I started off with Sweat Safe a year or two before ICE ID was launched.

Sweat Safe is not much good to anyone apart from those paramedics who are familiar with it, and perhaps the first people who get to you in the event of an accident are not paramedics, so then ICE ID will be useful in those cases.

ICE ID's customer service is great.

I use the original: MedicAlert. They have different options available, including a new silicone band as well as the velcro ones, the metal ones and the dog tags. Bonus with MedicAlert is that you have basic info on the tag and then there is a tel nr to a call centre where they can have plenty more medical history.

How much does it cost?