Latest Scam

cpcwheeler

Hey Hubbers, i would just like to find out how people have recently been getting scammed on the hub? After placing my add I received a call from a black guy who wanted a bike for his son. That guy disappeared after I said id only release the bike once money showed in my account. Ive since then received 2 more calls from 2 different guys wanting bikes for their sons. Now im no rocket scientist, but is it not peculiar that 3 different guys are buying bikes for their freakin sons ..ON THE SAME DAY.

Id love to hear if anyone else is having this wonderful influx of interest from dad's who cant wait to buy expensive toys for their sons

Best regards, Ciaran

That sounds well dodgy. :o

Yeah im not dealing with eager fathers anymore... but its clearly a syndicate coz there are a few involved- although I dont think they are educated in the field of deception because their stories have the same foundation. Bugs me a tad to have to deal with this crap

Yeah im not dealing with eager fathers anymore... but its clearly a syndicate coz there are a few involved- although I dont think they are educated in the field of deception because their stories have the same foundation. Bugs me a tad to have to deal with this crap

Everyone just needs to keep their wits about them. It sucks that this is occuring :angry:

Also be careful of the reverse scam where guys sell stuff but it never gets delivered, as they only release goods once the funds are in their accounts.

- Deal with hubbers that are active and go read some of their posts. You'll soon find out by they way they conduct themselves if they are for real.

- A deposit slip these days don't mean much. Cheques bounce. Wait for the amount to appear in your account

- Guys wanting to "test" what you are selling are wasting your time.

- Get an id number and run an itc check on the buyer/seller (with their permission) it will also give you an last known address.

- if someone scammed you / tried to scam you. publish it (like this post)

- report any potential scam to the SAPS to be investigated. Chances are that scammers operate on other online forums too.

always try to the transaction in person or get a hubber you trust to do you a fav and go check it out if it is legit..

Watch out for deposited cheques, it will show as a credit until it bounces. Also deposit slips modified to say "Cash" is an old trick as well.

When I post and ad, I never include any contact details in the ad itself. If they are interested they have to PM me. Meaning they must be a member and not just someone trolling the site. You can then check up on the hubbers status by searching for previous posts by the poarticular hubber. It is not foolproof as was found out by a few guys being taken last week by a hubber, but its a start. Link that to MorwoodMad's comments and you should decrease the risk quite a bit

I have had a few NCR ads in Gumtree and Junkmail recently. As soon as I tell the guy on the phone it is cash only he loses interest

Also be careful of the reverse scam where guys sell stuff but it never gets delivered, as they only release goods once the funds are in their accounts.

- Deal with hubbers that are active and go read some of their posts. You'll soon find out by they way they conduct themselves if they are for real.

- A deposit slip these days don't mean much. Cheques bounce. Wait for the amount to appear in your account

- Get an id number and run an itc check on the buyer/seller (with their permission) it will also give you an last known address.

- report any potential scam to the SAPS to be investigated. Chances are that scammers operate on other online forums too.

Valid point!!

I wanted to buy something on gumtree yesterday, then the lady in the email said she only do EFT's but will arange for me to collect the package....uhm.....sounds dodgy a CT seller only doing EFT's and not meeting in person even though I am from CT? So I did the good thing and told her to keep the thing....she replied "I can give references"...so I told her, I can also get friends to help refer me....anyway I am not interested anymore.....cheers

Doesn't a bank statement show if it is a check? Tell them if it is check you will wait the days it take to get it clear then they can fetch it....otherwise cash deposit :)

If you receive an eft in word format, that is also a scam. Adverstised some photography equipment in the junk mail, about 90% of the calls received were from scammers. :angry:

Hey Hubbers, i would just like to find out how people have recently been getting scammed on the hub? After placing my add I received a call from a black guy who wanted a bike for his son. That guy disappeared after I said id only release the bike once money showed in my account. Ive since then received 2 more calls from 2 different guys wanting bikes for their sons. Now im no rocket scientist, but is it not peculiar that 3 different guys are buying bikes for their freakin sons ..ON THE SAME DAY.

Id love to hear if anyone else is having this wonderful influx of interest from dad's who cant wait to buy expensive toys for their sons

Best regards, Ciaran

I had the same experience last year on a ad I placed on Gumtree.

The guy also wanted a bike for his son, I asked how old his son was & he said he was 12 so I told him the bike would be too big, he said that it didn't matter.

Also asked if I could drop the bike off but not to worry he'd do the deposit first.

Then the final joke was him asking me sms him my banking details & the amount of the bike.

I still have the bike :thumbup: :thumbup:

Its pretty easy to spot most scammers on the phone,

they generally dont try and negotiate the price down or try in any way to find out the condition.

Those are the first 2 things i try do when im interested in something.

I tried to sell my quad a few years back and was receiving about 10 calls a day from these crooks.

Best regards, Ciaran

Have a look in the archives - this is an old trick. Happened about 6 months ago.

There was also a guy advertising stuff available in a shop in Bloemfontein, but when someone when to check out the address it was an open field! :lol:

Yeah I agree, think im gonna go pay my local station a visit... and hopefully stop these dudes from trying to take our things! Will also be taking my details off and only use PM (thanks Steve S)

Edited by cpcwheeler