not ust tyres and tubeless

vinylguy

hi all

ok i did some searching cant find true answers...

ok what i want to know..

got two NON ust tyres... kenda nevegal and a conti speed king both mtb tyres... 26" 2.1

how well will these work if i try make them tubeless i know that side walls thinner etc etc...

anybody here try them...

Not always - some people experience bad burping or even the tyre coming off the rim on corners - the bead on non-UST is not nearly as tight as the bead on a UST. A lot depends on how tight the tire sits on the rim which is rim dependant as well as tire dependant. I did it with my wife's bike and never had an issue with burping or tyres coming off but I did have endless issues with sidewalls getting ripped.

Edited by Just Keep Pedaling

I was told in no uncertain term by a particular LBS(no names mentioned) that the Conti Race Kings non UST cannot be made tubeless. Then I speak to my mechanic who shows me 6 wheels they have just built, and surprise, surprise you can. Big weight & price difference.

My question is the 2011 range of Conti tyres do a Non-UST tyre that has new side wall protection addes to it, the weight is down by 200g per tyre.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/mtb/AllMountain/MountainKingII/MountainKing_en.html & http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/mtb/cc_marathon/Race%20King/raceking_en.html.

Has anyone got these tyres yet? I was looking at the Conti Race Kings Protection, would this be better then the previous tyres

As a rule of thumb, You can use non ust- Foldable tires and convert them but wire beed isnt dense enough to keep the air in and rip even easier.

Ive had 2 maxxis tires (folding) on front for the last 2 years and no problems. Keep pressure up as yes they will roll easier in burms and hard corners but eventually they "glue" themselves to the strip and doesnt burp as easy.

Mine climbed of the rim on a corner - the front wheel. :blink: crashed very hard.....

I will not recommend it.

Use rather UST specific tires.

Bought some Larsens for R250 each.

The main thing is tyre to rim fit - as justkeeppedalling said.

The ERTO dimensions are supposed to tell you if they will fit well or not (correct me here ? )

You can try building up the rim cavity with tape and then putting the rim strip in, tyre should sit but removal can become difficult.

Thats why I swear by Stan's rims as their bead socket keeps the normal tyre on the rim no issues but removal is super easy if you flat as well as the initial seating.

If you don't like ust, try tubeless ready/TnT, as it has the same bead as ust to will sit on the rim but is not so heavy, also expensive though.

i am very happy with my cheaper tubeless ready tyres. My LBS sed: "no that is junk it will not hold" ....... so far they are WRONG!

well il do the ghetto tubeless with a 20" inch tube so im sure the tyre will sit fine....

exactly what I did. EINA :(

I use non-tubless Monorails with absolutely no problems, I do have Crossmax SLR's which I think help the tyre seat tightly. I have a mate who runs Race King Protection on DT Swiss rims with no problems either.

They all work fine, until you go proper off-road, then it is still good as long as you ride the right limes. If not you will rip a sidewall.

there are no other issues, just how you ride.

I will only use non UST on the front as I can see where it is going but not on the back. Risk is too high.

Then I am 97kg+..........

have had 2 normal foldable mountain kings, one popped on the bead which came loose, other one leaked air trough the sidewall.

my dad is 105kg, has a maxxis larsen foldeble up front and a kenda small block 8 foldeble at the back, no problems.

with the UST Maxxis tyres @ R350, i rather use them, then u know you're safe

I've just had a UST tire rip in the middle of the tread. nice v-shaped wedge cut into it thanks to a very sharp rock in Tokai. Luckily it was at the end of the ride, but it was too big to seal with the stans and too jagged to patch. And only 10 rides old! :(

Wasn't anything that wouldn't have happened to another tyre. If it were tubed, would have ripped even further. Not cool

So I'll have to pop my old 1.95 on the back until I can afford to drop another R 600 on a back tyre. *sniff*