Chain Reaction Rave

DJR

I ordered helmets & protective gear from CRC on 15 January. Everything was delivered to my desk in Slaapstad this morning, and with a smile too from the local Post Office guy! I ordered on Saturday, it was shipped halfway around the world (Parcel Force) on Monday and recieved on Friday morning, basically 4 working days. You can't get something from Joburg that quickly. It was the third time in a row that they were this efficient. With shipping, VAT and duties, it still beats the cheapest locals by about 50%. Yes, I know I bought sale items, but my LBS could be in bigger trouble than they realize.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have saved truckloads on stuff from CRC. Had to build it all myself though...but I am willing to pay the price. Generally I get my stuff in 6 days (so the following Monday if I order on a Sunday).

I'm on the hunt for a bike bag. Did the right thing and went to the LBS's here in Durbs. First quote was a Thule for R5000 (err 300 quid plus 35 postage, ok). 2nd wanted R1400 for a local brand. 3rd had one that looked like it was used in an Afghanistan assault mission and decided that R850 was reasonable.

CRC's own with wheel bags and shipping just cost me R703.52, will be here late next week.

You try and support local business but at the end of the day it's all about me and saving cash. CRC help :)

CRC itself is great as well as parcelforce, but my stuff always takes ages to get to the local PO once SAPO gets the package.

I ordered on 1 Jan, 3rd Jan order processed. 6Jan on UK airport, 7Jan arrives at EMS in SA. Takes until 13jan to get out of customs :thumbdown: and then was only at brooklyn PO on 18th Jan, collected it yesterday. Oh and they told me it needs to go to a physical adress, after it was allready at the post office. EISH !

Am I unlucky or does larger boxes take longer ? Ordered wheels and some other stuff, very nice CRC Tri-suit as well ! Only bummer is the degreaser I ordered got a hole in somehow (maybe customs have heard of sharpening spokes and now prod suspicious packages with it :P ) and the degreaser spilt out, luckily no real damage, apart from some "rusty" QR levers.

Ive got something thats now been stuck in France at the export centre, according to the tracking No. its been there for 8 days now. The worst of it I cant get an email adress to ask any questions, and SA customs are about as much help as a poke in the eye with a sharp stick :(

Got a CRC order this week. I had a set of knee guards and shoes in the package (they were the 1st two items on the invoice). The package arrived and I told the delivery guy that I thought the import duties & tax were too high. He gave me my package and a number to call to sort out the duties/tax issue. So I did the numbers and it turns out customs just added a flat 40% duties to my entire order :cursing: so, my VAT was over charged too. I called the number and the lady asks if the delivery guy is still there (he's not) and if I have already opened the parcel (of coarse I had). Anyways to cut a long story short the Customs buggers overcharged me on duties & VAT to a total of about R700 :thumbdown:

The lady on the phone said I need to fill out a form (Application for Refund of Import Duties) and if the claim is accepted I can look forward to seeing my refund in over a year!!!!!

Moral of the story: if you think the duties/VAT applied to your parcel are wrong, hold onto your cash, keep the delivery guy with you, call the number (011)961-6038 and organise for a reassessment. The delivery guy will take your parcel away and 'should' return in a couple days with an amended manifest and your parcel.

Rather sit a couple days without your new kit than have to deal with an admin nightmare, only to see you cash in over a year.

CRC are really good with prices and delivery.we ordered stuff off them and a local s.a. site and CRC delivered before the local's could!

I bought some CRC goodies as well as a laser pitch guage for my RC chopper. Sent from Corpus Christi in U of SA by USPS .... lance's old sponsor. The package took 4 days to reach and I paid nil cents VAT. Articles 55% cheaper than in SA. Why should i support the local agents?

Well I'm rather impressed with Parcelforce tracking, saw today my goods are now at Cape Town EMS - I was under the impression they only track till Jhb.

My wish is for just 1 LBS to be as cheap and efficient as CRC! I bought my dad FD, RD, chain, cassette and disc brakes and I paid R3100 including taxes, for the same stuff here the cheapest quote we got was R8000! I would luv to support the local guys but at that kind of price difference it would be insane!

If I had to purchase bulk consumable stock from CRC, would any body buy from me for a 10% handling fee?

Cassets, chains, tyres and so on, you get the idea.

Edited by GTRacing