Complete Bike import

nero123

I know that you have to pay 25% import tax + 14% vat on complete bikes bought from overseas but has anyone bought a complete bike from overseas and paid these amounts?

Thanks!

I know that you have to pay 25% import tax + 14% vat on complete bikes bought from overseas but has anyone bought a complete bike from overseas and paid these amounts?

Thanks!

Also very interested to see the response to this.

Bikes in the USA are ridiculously cheaper

On a related point, how much of the bike would have to be taken apart to qualify as parts and not a complete bike in the eyes of the tax man?

davidw is correct - refer SARS http://www.sars.gov.za/home.asp?pid=2630

See schedule 1, part 1, section 87.12 of the customs tariff book - 15% duties and 14% VAT on the declared purchase price

It will work in your favour if the bike is stripped and shipped separately - even a day or two apart as "bicycle parts" are duty free and only VAT paid on the purchase price - section 87.14

Kind of along the same lines, but does anyone know what the deal is with bringing a bike in to SA to ride it while on vacation, and then take it back out?

No duties or VAT at all for foreign passport holders - your bike is for personal use and you are not taking up recidency

Know somebody who brought a bike in, it was unassembled and they only paid VAT.

Also know of a lady who brought a bike in and she paid ZERO but she does have a foreign passport.

If someone is bringing in parts, then assembling into bike to sell to avoid duty on bikes, they are supposed to pay Dept of Customs 'Ad Valorem' tax lol

But How does the foreign passport thing work. Do you just show your passport on collection of the bike?

To me the whole ting is ridiculous, when do how many parts make up a complete bike. I asked Chainreaction if they can dissemble a bike but they are not allowed to do it.

On a related point, how much of the bike would have to be taken apart to qualify as parts and not a complete bike in the eyes of the tax man?

I brought in a frame, wheels, tyres and tubes from CRC and was not charged duty. Maybe even if you bring in a complete bike but on the invoice it indicates that it is parts will you miss out on duties.

I'll be going to the US in a couple of months and am looking to pick up a new bike. Whats the best way of getting it back here without paying an arm and a leg on VAT/import duties?

"are they really going to pick it up? "

When you declare cameras on the way out they take down the serial number. They might do the same with bikes...