[Event] Lighthouse To Lighthouse

knippie

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is also a 30km gravel road drag in the middle of the race that is mind numbing/heartbreaking/frustrating/mentally disturbing and a bunch of other things - the road just doesn't do anything except stretch out into the distance, with no sections at all to freewheel and recover, you are fighting against the wind all the way, punctuated with corrugated ridges along the way. Tough.

I must agree, this was the worst part of my day. The 30km from the Elim waterpoint to the final waterpoint. I was cursing and screaming out loud at stages. When I got to the final waterpoint I told them how glad I was to see them and that I might have started to curse them in my head because I thought they packed up or something :-)

They were kind enough to offer me a sandwich, so I instantly forgave them.

Edited by BlinkFan

This was my first Lighthouse 2 Lighthouse and I had an excellent time! Beautiful race, great vibe, friendly smiles all round and so much food. :) It's a tough event though and 103 kilometres into a headwind will test you mentally! Not to mention those 25km in the sand on each day. Strangely enough and probably fortuitously I had a bad day on day 1 and felt stronger on day 2 when I really needed it. But like everyone else I'm beginning to realise, those last 10k's into Gansbaai along the beach front completely broke me!

There is also a 30km gravel road drag in the middle of the race that is mind numbing/heartbreaking/frustrating/mentally disturbing and a bunch of other things - the road just doesn't do anything except stretch out into the distance, with no sections at all to freewheel and recover, you are fighting against the wind all the way, punctuated with corrugated ridges along the way. Tough.

It's not a technical race at all (apart from the sand), so don't come thinking singletrack and huge climbs, but it tests you in other ways and you have the privilege of riding on some beautiful pristine beaches with a great crowd of riders. It's also a race tailor made for 29ers. Not that I have one!

Thanks to the organisers for a great event. I saw some photographers along the way, anyone know where you can see some photos of the ride along with the official results?

You have just convinced me to scratch this one off the bucket list.Sounds awful

I must agree, this was the worst part of my day. The 30km from the Elim waterpoint to the final waterpoint. I was cursing and screaming out loud at stages. When I got to the final waterpoint I told them how glad I was to see them and that I might have started to curse them in my head because I thought they packed up or something :-)

They were kind enough to offer me a sandwich, so I instantly forgave them.

Hahaha, I am so glad I wasn't the only one who was shouting at the wind. Didn't help, but it made me feel better.

Also, to the complete stranger on the sky-blue specialized who handed me half a Bar One (Bar Half?) as we were climbing a hill, thanks. My manly side wants to believe that the tear in my eye was just due to the howling wind, but I can't be 100% sure.

Also, to the complete stranger on the sky-blue specialized who handed me half a Bar One (Bar Half?) as we were climbing a hill, thanks. My manly side wants to believe that the tear in my eye was just due to the howling wind, but I can't be 100% sure.

Hahaha I think I also shed a few tears along the way. Especially when we got to the final waterpoint and the guy said cheerfully, oh just another 25-30k's to go. Which is it?? 25 or 30? Don't start throwing out variable distances! This is important!

Hahaha I think I also shed a few tears along the way. Especially when we got to the final waterpoint and the guy said cheerfully, oh just another 25-30k's to go. Which is it?? 25 or 30? Don't start throwing out variable distances! This is important!

On a similar note, my exhausted brain convinced me that that stupid Telkom tower on the horizon about 10k from the finish was the lighthouse. NOTHING but lighthouse's should be allowed to be painted with red and white stripes, no matter how much skinnier and more festooned with antennas they are.

Day 1 was much easier than the previous year. The wind was at our backs and the sand was much firmer due to the recent rains. Numbers were also up from 80 last year to 250 this year, even with another race in the Cederberg on the same weekend.

I had a good day on the bike, but picked up a bug somewhere and was not able to start day 2. From all accounts day 2 was tough, so the tummy bugs saved me from a 6 hour plus ride. I'm glad to see that a bit of marketing and a basic online presence paid dividends for the Lions Club.

A few things to consider:

- recycling drinking cups at the water points should be avoided at all costs. It may well have caused the tummy bug that I ended up with.

- try to have fruit or potatoes at the half way mark. We get spoilt at other races, so while we understand that we need to provide for ourselves, something unprosessed will go a long way.

- a footpump at the water points after the sand would have helped riders who dropped the tyre pressures to get tyres back at the required pressure.

For R550 for 2 days we really got our moneys worth. I look forward to next years race.

Was not planning to do this race, but now very glad a mate asked me to come along for the first stage (and my first mtb ride longer than 50km). Saturday was a perfect day & route for nice relaxed riding - cool weather, tailwind most of the way and no nasty climbs. That long stretch after Wolvengat we were cruising along at 35km/h without really putting in that much effort!

Overall a exceptionally beautiful route, I especially liked the stretches along and on the beach. Took a bit of an unplanned detour near the end when we took a wrong turn from the beach, only realised we were taking the wrong way when we had to climb over farm gates blocking our way, but given that we were following other cycle tracks we weren't the only ones to get it wrong! Still managed to finish in just over 4 hours, more or less middle of the field (it seems). Regretted not doing the second day until I read the comments above on Monday!

Next year I will be packing the tent and will be there for both days. One of the better mtb events in the cape imo.

it was the second time i've done it. ABSOLUTALY MAGNIFICENT !

But I must admint.... yesterday was the longest 5 hours of my life... OUCH. That wind was hammering us. Kudus to the guys and girls who were out for 8_ hours! :clap:

Anyone loose cycling shoes, sunglasses, helmet. - organisers found these along with stuff of mine. would like to share courier costs back to CT.

You have just convinced me to scratch this one off the bucket list.Sounds awful

+1

SAND!!!! is there anything worse than sand & wind???

+1

SAND!!!! is there anything worse than sand & wind???

Not being on your bike? I reckon that's worse :P

P.S. Cool vid MM, I started putting mine together this morning, I'll post it whenever its done (don't hold your breath).

Not being on your bike? I reckon that's worse :P

P.S. Cool vid MM, I started putting mine together this morning, I'll post it whenever its done (don't hold your breath).

Thanks for the compliment. I must say that Apple's Video editing software is such a joy to use. What do you use for Vid editing?

Thanks for the compliment. I must say that Apple's Video editing software is such a joy to use. What do you use for Vid editing?

I'm on Linux now, so I am using Kdenlive, it's the best of a bad lot, but that's not saying much. My underpowered laptop doesn't help either. In the past I used Adobe Premier which was awesome, but the price, yikes!