Whose your granny?

Just Keep Pedaling

OBVIOUSLY you are from Gauteng...where everyhting is nice and flat!!

Come to the Cape to experience some real granny terrain.... :D

I am from Gauteng and have ridden around the Cape without a granny.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love you to come and ride here in the Magalies mountains.

+1 (Magalies Mountains LOL)

You don't even have to go that far out. Theres some steep koppies and climbs close to home as well.

if a master can ride hill2hill on a single speed in around 5hrs then you have to wonder what is really necessary..... granny gears are either for the novice or the once a month rider...the pain in your quads is only weakness leaving the body !

Having a granny gear is like having a condom.

I'd rather have one and not need it, than need it and not have one :clap:

Eish, it's the size thing again. :blush: Is there any other gear? Some of us are delicate. Besides, how and in what gear you get to the Mast is not important. The fact that you get there, is.

Having a granny gear is like having a condom.

I'd rather have one and not need it, than need it and not have one :clap:

Haha, Nice.

I have ridden the Monster with out a small chain ring, as well as quite a few races in Mpumalanga with some serious climbs. I am leaving it off for Barberton, but will put it back on for Sabie (just in case). In general its not needed, but there are a few cases where you do need it. I went to Mankele and rode with out it, but if I raced the 3 towers I would definately put it on.

So according to this thread nobody will change to a 2x10 setup.

I was just gonna say the same.

Yet, there are lots of 2x10 setups around.

But then again, there was an XX grouppo for sale, 'cos the guy was going back to triple.

I am going to stick to my triple setup. Each to their own I reckon. If you prefer grinding up hills with your road cassette then go for it. I agree with Thumper's condom comment... Granny for me!! :thumbup:

Edited by Grebel

Its a thing of the level where you ride. If you can ride up Hekpoort without a granny gear, good for you. Not all are superstrong, not all have the time to train 20hours a day, and rest when they're not training. Most here are probably working 8-5, sit in traffic another 2 hrs, and to train around a workschedule like that takes a lot.

I was just gonna say the same.

Yet, there are lots of 2x10 setups around.

But then again, there was an XX grouppo for sale, 'cos the guy was going back to triple.

He talked about granny cog, so some of us figured he meant biggest cog at the rear and not small chainring.

If he means small chainring, then go for it bro. Been on a 29/42 for almost a year now.

Another point to note is that on most 3x9 setups with a wide bb (loads of full sussers) the smallest front chainring gives you a better chainline. It's a physics thing, if your chain is pulling your cassette at a high angle you're wasting energy. It's there for a reason.

I ride a 2x9, 24/36 up front with a bash guard and 11-32 on the back, every now an then for a race like sani (where i come last) ill take off the bashguard for a bigring, takes about 2 mins to do.

So the moral is if its 3x9 and you think granny is too small just get a bigger granny.