More Morons?

Rent-Smart

RS - do agree, will throw 'natural' stuff like banana peels and the like but take my wrappers home.

Sometimes it's unpleasant - yesterday ate half a Jungle Lite energy bar and 'stuffed' the rest back in my pocket. When I got home (on an MTB technical ride BTW!) the left over bit had crept out of the wrapper and was all over my cell and the pocket. Washes out pretty easy so no harm done. Same goes for supergoo wrappers!

But unfortunately I do skip robots occasionally!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I got home (on an MTB technical ride BTW!) the left over bit had crept out of the wrapper and was all over my cell and the pocket.

You must have the LG Chocolat phone.

Scotty - you never had a 'light' energy bar yet? No chocolate on that! Just some bran sort of 'glued' together.

Is it bran? I thought it was sawdust. The things we have to do to lose weight Ouch.

Scotty - you never had a 'light' energy bar yet? No chocolate on that! Just some bran sort of 'glued' together.

Is it bran? I thought it was sawdust. The things we have to do to lose weight Ouch.

Ooops sorry mate, your description is far more accurate! That plus the 'blue pills' should just about do it (and nothing else that is!).

Then I rather stay fat, PERIOD!

Then I rather stay fat' date=' PERIOD!
[/quote']

Good job you done mate LOL !

A couple of weeks back I was riding into Durbanville from Wellington and about 15 riders in Daikin kit came up behind me.  They stopped at every red light through the town center, chatted with me and joked with the motorists. I thought that was damn impressive and an excellent example for others to follow.Clap

The sad thing is that for other less professional cyclists this behaviour is out of the ordinary.

Sometimes it's unpleasant - yesterday ate half a Jungle Lite energy bar and 'stuffed' the rest back in my pocket. When I got home (on an MTB technical ride BTW!) the left over bit had crept out of the wrapper and was all over my cell and the pocket. Washes out pretty easy so no harm done. Same goes for supergoo wrappers!

And here is my solution: To protect my cell from pretty aggressive (chemically) sweat and rain and now even food (normally me cell is in a different pocket than food) I put the cell in a small clear zip bag.

A couple points to note:

Cycling abreast and chatting, whilst inconsiderate, is perfectly legal.  Simply a lengthy overtaking manoeuvre.

Motorists in general do not respect cyclists right to be on the road (in the lane), so basing your actions on how motorists will perceive you is an exercise in futility and to my mind stupidity.

Breaking traffic regulations is an important part of ensuring your safety on the road.  Do cycle with a flashing red light (illegal to use flashing lights) as this increases your visibility.  Only signal you are turning if it is safe to ride with one hand.  Run red lights where you are not influencing traffic flow - this means that you will not need to unclip and potentially get in the way of traffic as you clip in and get up to speed again.  Do overtake stationary cars, as it is important that you are at the front of the queue at traffic lights as this increases your visibility.  Do ride inside the shoulder where you are clearing visible to approaching traffic and the speed limit on the road is high (80 kph or higher) even though it is illegal for any vehicle to travel on the left of the yellow line.

The law is clear about cyclists right to be on the road, not to mention the historical (bikes were using roads before there were cars) and moral (bikes do less damage to the environment and improved health of cyclists reduce the burden on the state health system) right.  Despite this, roads are designed without any consideration for cyclists.  To combat this, riding with a simple principle of MY safety first, road rules second, is necessary.

As for littering, their is no excuse for any road user to be throwing non-biodegradeable products onto the side of the road.  If you can't swallow it, the earth is probably going to struggle with it.
linnega2007-10-29 07:06:07

Gibts so was?

Klar ueberall, da die meisten Englisch sprechenSmile.

A South African complained once as he wanted to learn German in Germany and the Germans talked back English as they wanted to improve their own skills.

Shall we start a German thread, so the Afrikaans people start writing English againWink?

Linnega, very good points, but your summary hits the nail on the head. My safety first and that includes wearing a safety belt in a car and excludes skipping red lights unsafely.

Besides, has anybody ever been challenged after breaking the discussed rules (red flashing lights, riding on the shoulder, overtaking stationary vehicle etc)?

BTW, how does one ever get passed stationary,parked cars then- just wondering?

Du ich bin echt Sud Afrikaner aber kan ein bisl Deutsch weil ich beim Siemens (jetzt Nokia Siemens) arbeiten!

Gut is mein Deutsch bestimmt nicht aber wir koennen so was versuchen!

I think road rage is becoming more and more prevalent on SA roads Danger Dassie' date=' maybe its got to do with the pace of life today, power outages which cause untold delays, heavily congested roads which honestly are becoming more and more difficult to navigate safely or just a plain lack of general manners, but whatever its a big issue and you never know how the other person will react. [/quote']

I tend to agree, although I take my hat off to campaigns like "Think Bike".

Bizarrely I've seen a number of taxis with those stickers, even more bizarre I've seen them give way for motorcyclists.

Traffic congestion though is no excuse for knuckle dragging behaviour, people just need to pull their head out from the proverbial. Geek