The 31-year-old noob

wesley_r

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 when i started DH last year. Bounced of a tree while booking it and realized 3 things:

1. The faster you go, the smoother it is.

2. Tree's don't move.... try and avoid them.

3. Healing time at 35 is not as quick as it used to be.

My single rule that rules them all through MX and now for DH.

Dress for the crash, not the ride!

how is a hospital biffy going to help on the DH ?

I am turning 40 this year and I recently started looking at my trail bike in a whole different light... My new year's resolution is to learn to jump! I am getting tired of the 40km races and wnat something different. Hopefully I will be part of the gravity club soon. You guys seem so chilled!! :thumbup:

2. Tree's don't move.... try and avoid them.

Best quote ever.

speed is your friend.

and hesitation is your enemy :thumbup:

To be clear: I'm not doing full-on downhill at the moment. Perhaps I will in the future ;) . What I AM doing right now is making the most of the downhill bits of trail I ride, and trying to hit as much stuff as I can while doing so. Call it all mountain / aggressive trail riding. After all, my humble hardtail can only take so much (which is why it's equipped with beefy Alex SupraBH rims)...

My next bike is going to be either a full-susser (140mm or up, but preferably 150mm/160mm) OR a long travel hardtail (e.g. on-one 456 carbon or summer season)... THEN I'll start hitting some of the downhill spots, like Paarl, fully kitted :blush:

At the moment, riding spots like Contermans and Jonkers, all I can really carry with me are knee guards. Still, it adds a lot of confidence :thumbup:

we all start somewhere Wes. just keep ripping it up :)

let me know if u going to majik and need a riding buddy. would be ace to meet u, and i'll bring the lidcam for your next epic bail :P

let me know if u going to majik and need a riding buddy. would be ace to meet u, and i'll bring the lidcam for your next epic bail :P

dude, will do - one thing I learn from motorcycling off road is you learn when you ride with guys better than you... :thumbup:

I'll make sure I'm behind you... keep that camera pointing forwards...

[hijack on]

Hey Cap, how's the search for the bikerack coming?

[hijack off]

changed from a softop to hardtop mini. problem solved ;)

was that for the bike rack, or were you just tired of being mocked by your friends? :rolleyes:

Wes: but your gear saved you right? ;)

Off course capri, like i explained to you, if i slip i buy new tyres, if the steering is not that direct i get new wheels, i fail to brake in time I upgrade the entire system, hence I am now the ultimate rider, but weirdly i still fall?

ouch!

ok, ok, maybe that was a bit harsh... begs the question though, why not just put the bike on the back seat? :w00t: :blush:

Im 42 in august and also just started doing a few more things that i never used todo before on Tokai. But alas its true a bump takes a wee bit longer to heal than when we were younger. But it wont stop me \

Just need to FIND A DECENT PRICED ALL MOUNTAIN BIKE AKA A REIGN :drool: