Table Mountain Safety

kandui

Interesting to see how this Thread I started has morphed along the way.

There is an initiative underway to try and curb the crime on Table Mountain. Fact is, with the mountain stuck in the middle of an urban area, we won't get a crime free mountain in perpetuity. But we can try to and catch perps along the way.

I am involved on the operational side as a privateer (my own time, no affiliations to any govt agency) and I would really appreciate some constructive input . Please, no bazookas, land mines or other unrealistic solutions. I know there have been many good suggestions put forward on this Thread, but to save me the hassle of scrolling back and forth, please put forward a short and sweet suggestion.

I will collect them all and present them at our next meeting.

Here are some ideas I have had. Some simple,some need some finance or thought. Please feel free to add or comment:

1. Banks of 2 way radios for daily rental at a nominal fee (a refundable deposit would apply) which hiking groups, walkers, cyclists can take with them on the mountain. Radios can be collected or dropped in locations such as Cable Station, Rhodes Memorial,Lions Head, Kirstenbosch. Radios can be returned anywhere for a refund, if you are going from A to B instead from A to A.

2. Interested people can sign up to an SMS group (most of us carry a mobile) which sends regular updates on conditions on the mountain, crime spots, emergency number,...

3. A dedicated website or a page added to an established site such as SAN Parks, Cape Nature Cape Town Tourism ,SA Tourism where one can get info on: current hot spots, emergency numbers, how to sign up to the SMS group, log incidents oneself etc

4. Erect warning signs on approach to known hot spot areas. The sign can include the dedicated Table Mountain emergency number.A good suggestion was a small concrete pillar (knee high) in a bright colour with an emergency number engraved. Located all over the mountain near hot spots, trail intersections and junctions.

5. Tracker Tag which one can rent for a period of time (for a day, a week or longer) with a deposit amount attached. I am hearing these devices can be priced as low as R20 (subsidised I would assume, but who cares). Real time tracking on a screen , the cost of which can be carried by a sponsor. For tourists the trackers can be available at the airport already. For locals, the trackers could be available from bike shops, Cape Union Mart, Cableway, San Parks office and many more outlets. Bulk will drive the price down and turn it into a cheap , but effective consumable.

Anything cellphone based will most likely be the most effective tool as we all have them. Not sure whether the technology is cheap.

I look forward to hearing from you. Feel free to Email me as well. I check my mail more often than I check the Hub. zulurob@iafrica.com

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another idea might be to organise a hack of bushes close to the path so that the bastards can't hide. Keep a band of open space close to the path so that a would be mugger needs to show himself before he can jump a hiker or cyclist.

I recon a Panic station which is solar powered. It makes a bloody loud noise, and scares the ****s out of a attacker plus other people will hear the noise/racket and be alerted.

Would be nice if the person can be tracked. so that one can pinpoint the robber.but dont know how well it wil work.

How far can a small hand held panic button signal be received, or if one boosts the signal, can it ever work?

Last year at the Argus expo i chatted to a dude who was wanting to develop the lower slopes of Devils Peak as a 'tokai like' bike park, i think it is time for this! If access is via a wild card it wuld be great!

On the issue of riding on foot paths, i do this all the time, knowing full well that it is illegal, in over ten years i have been bust once ages ago riding at night - buggers saw our lights but let us off with a warning!

Point is we know it is illegal so if we get bust we can't really moan! the reality is that bikes do cause lots of erosion, look at TOkai, the other thing is that bikes go around corners fast and crash into walkers and runners!

Last year at the Argus expo i chatted to a dude who was wanting to develop the lower slopes of Devils Peak as a 'tokai like' bike park, i think it is time for this! If access is via a wild card it wuld be great!

On the issue of riding on foot paths, i do this all the time, knowing full well that it is illegal, in over ten years i have been bust once ages ago riding at night - buggers saw our lights but let us off with a warning!

Point is we know it is illegal so if we get bust we can't really moan! the reality is that bikes do cause lots of erosion, look at TOkai, the other thing is that bikes go around corners fast and crash into walkers and runners!

they should do that on cignal hill side.. theres no trees nor much natural variation in the terrain on devils peek, and the southeaster will blow you off your bike half of summer..but just an opinion

Bos, i really wish that would happen too. After that fire, those slopes are PERFECT for a grooming: roadgaps, chutes, switchbacks on sick inclines.. that place would make for a solid bike setup. Also, the lower area near the high school would be perfect for a pump track and slopestyle park..

Have you thought of helmet cams to get video evidence of the muggers? Its working for road rage in the UK and loads of cyclists now use them on commutes. Presented with video of the muggers surely the police would take action. Unless the mugger takes the camera of course!!!!

Have you thought of helmet cams to get video evidence of the muggers? Its working for road rage in the UK and loads of cyclists now use them on commutes. Presented with video of the muggers surely the police would take action. Unless the mugger takes the camera of course!!!!

No offence dude but this is SA. The attacker will probably smile into the camera before he mugs you because he knows nothing will happen. The only way these guys will listen is if we kick their ass, but i dont think anyone is willing to take that chance. This situation disgusts me. I was just about to by a MTB but having seconds thoughts now. Will rather risk the road. So f'ing sad. Zille for president :thumbup:

Edited by kent77

• 3 weeks later...

50 Additional Rangers

50 more within 3 years

Rangers armed with guns

Additional dog patrols

post-615-0-98754000-1302152831.jpg

100 rangers! R2000pm x 100 x 12 = R2.4 million per year. That is a substantial investment. Can we have just three for our trails in JHB?

100 rangers! R2000pm x 100 x 12 = R2.4 million per year. That is a substantial investment. Can we have just three for our trails in JHB?

2.4 mill is nothing when you are securing the safety of south africas most popular tourist attraction. The damages and bad PR of 1 or 2 tourists going home after being attacked on the Mtn will costs SA a lot more than 2 mill in the long run.

Unfortunatly the veld in JHB doesnt warrant the same interest.

"2.4 mill is nothing when you are securing the safety of south africas most popular tourist attraction. The damages and bad PR of 1 or 2 tourists going home after being attacked on the Mtn will costs SA a lot more than 2 mill in the long run.

Unfortunatly the veld in JHB doesnt warrant the same interest."

I can appreciate that. My wife used be in reservations for a company who sells Safari camps in excess of USD 6000 pppn - many bookings over R1 mil.

I don't see what is unattractive about our veld? It some of the dustiest in the world with a great variety of old broken bottles.

• 4 weeks later...

Has things improved?

Have not heard of any recent incidents and notice lots of Mtb'ers on the trail from Rhodes into Town.

Bos, i really wish that would happen too. After that fire, those slopes are PERFECT for a grooming: roadgaps, chutes, switchbacks on sick inclines.. that place would make for a solid bike setup. Also, the lower area near the high school would be perfect for a pump track and slopestyle park..

:thumbup:

We must just go build there, as Ive said before, apparently the guys dont really mind if we build there.