Chain Reaction boycott

Unicycle

Did you see this? CRC is annoying the world and they are taking action.

http://www.bike-eu.com/news/4747/spanish-dealers-take-stand-against-chainreactioncom.html?nb=bike&editie=01%20februari%202011&link=Spanish%20Dealers%20Take%20Stand%20against%20Chainreaction.com&WT.mc_id=mail_bike_01%20februari%202011

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/newsDetail/5060.html

http://antichainreaction.com/

I personally prefer supporting local industry and not sending money to the UK, because I want backup and support and want the industry in SA to be healthy.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bike-eu.com/news/4747/spanish-dealers-take-stand-against-chainreactioncom.html?nb=bike&editie=01%20februari%202011&link=Spanish%20Dealers%20Take%20Stand%20against%20Chainreaction.com&WT.mc_id=mail_bike_01%20februari%202011

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/newsDetail/5060.html

http://antichainreaction.com/

I personally prefer supporting local industry and not sending money to the UK, because I want backup and support and want the industry in SA to be healthy.

Yeah. Sure. I'd like to volunteer to pay more for my bike spares.

Ultimately there will always be space for everybody - I buy from CRC, CWC, Cajees, Tour de Frans, Sweat and Gears...

Some purchases are purely on price - some are on service - some are on urgency - some are on "specials".

I believe in free market principle - forcably closing down CRC is akin to the collusion that happened in SA recently...

Going by the same principle of this argument we should band together to close down CWC - they also sell parts not bought through the official agents in SA...

Silly really.

Hmmm I agree with supporting local but then those involved must come to the table as well. Drop half the import duties for the importers so they can sell at a better price so the saving can be passed on etc. but until the local market can be competitive CRC will still get orders. CWC have come close and maybe beaten some of CRCs prices so guys buy there which is local, but if a guy feels ripped off he will go to where he can save.

Yeah. Sure. I'd like to volunteer to pay more for my bike spares.

Ultimately there will always be space for everybody - I buy from CRC, CWC, Cajees, Tour de Frans, Sweat and Gears...

Some purchases are purely on price - some are on service - some are on urgency - some are on "specials".

I believe in free market principle - forcably closing down CRC is akin to the collusion that happened in SA recently...

Going by the same principle of this argument we should band together to close down CWC - they also sell parts not bought through the official agents in SA...

Silly really.

Exactly. I supprt whoever is willing to support me, be it CWC, CRC or sometimes the LBS.

What a load of BS - stop buying from CRC at your peril - I'm not saying buy everything from CRC, but what do you think has caused the 'better deal for customers' here in SA?

As Eldron says: There is room for everyone - nobody has to sell below cost price - and it makes local suppliers focus on value for money and service!

Yup and the Spanish has such long noses and also imports steriod tainted meat from across their borders...... they gonna stop that as well?????? ..... PS note the scissors...... it is a Park Tool!!!!!! :clap: :clap:

post-24-0-54056900-1296751345.jpg

Edited by Big H

Only way i'll stop buying from CRC is if the local industry catches a wake up call. Unfortunately it seems to be a South African Business ethic to rip the customer off for as much as possible

the boycot is not trying to get people to stop buying from CRC, its trying to stop suppliers supplying CRC. It sucks. I hope nobody falls for this, CRC are not only good prices but their service is tops

Shouldn't this read ......"CRC is annoying LBS's and they are taking action"

I think the cyclist/purchaser is fed up with being taken for a ride (pardon the pun)......so they will shop at places like CRC, Evans, Sigma Sport, Wiggles etc etc etc.

Competition is healthy and it keep the LBS's honest.Is it affecting their business - sure.

So how many local bike shops have closed down that you know of.........? NONE?

These days business is global.

Competition is healthy.

The consumer has the right to spend their cash wherever they see fit. I personally shop around and make sure I get the best deal; be it for cycling spares/kit, car parts or contracts for any type of development.

The world is out there at our disposal ... anyone who doesn't take advantage of it ... too bad ... their loss.

Unless the parts are made in South Africa, the distributors are also sending money to another country's economy.

The only way to boost your economy is to export product made in your own country, and without doing any research I'm sure most of the components CRC sells does not come out of Ireland/UK.

Secondly, why should I pay a middle man to hold the stock, when I can get the same item at almost half the price from someone who is trying to save the end user money. And that is exactly what CWC Online has started to do... bring cheap prices to the end user.

And lastly, how many of the bike shop owners get product training on the products they sell? Very few.

I can get more information off the internet than I can at the LBS.

Bicycles are mechanical, male threads screw into female threads and vice-versa.

With the right tools it's very simple to do it yourself.

Hmmm I agree with supporting local but then those involved must come to the table as well. Drop half the import duties for the importers so they can sell at a better price so the saving can be passed on etc. but until the local market can be competitive CRC will still get orders. CWC have come close and maybe beaten some of CRCs prices so guys buy there which is local, but if a guy feels ripped off he will go to where he can save.

We pay the same import duties the suppliers pay... There are none on bicycle parts, you can't drop that! The opportunity is there for the local market, but they decided to take advantage of the monopoly that comes from exclusive agencies rather than sell at a fair price. It's not the shops that are ripping people off, they are making fair margins in most cases, their cost price is just ridiculously high. As a consumer, my money goes to the best businessman, who cares what country they sleep in! Why are JHB people buying from CWC? That's not local for them, they should support the shop closest to where they live on the "support local" logic irrespective of service or price.

Edited by Edge_Design

Will suppliers really want to cut their own profits, just for the sake of a few disgruntled bike shops. They must learn play ball.

Guest agteros

Makes me think of an old joke:

"...Jannie wat wil jy wees as jy groot wees?

'n Middelman meneer..."

Time for the middle men to get their fingers out of the pie, add value (adapt) or die.

To monopolise is definitely NOT the answer!