Chain Reaction boycott

Unicycle

CRC and some of our LBS will continue to get my support.

But, I am boycotting all those LBS' implicated by the Competition Commission in collusion. I will not be ripped off by these tin pot businessmen who do not understand the first principles of a free market system that require productivity and customer service as the cornerstones of their own enterprise.

Tough luck boys shape up or ship out. :angry:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am waiting 1.5 months for a shop to get me a part from the local supplier. I could have had it within 10 days if I ordered from CRC. The only reason why I'm still waiting is because it is not a important but bling and the local guy is offering it to me at ¾ of the CRC's price.

I agree but why does a Morewood cost so much? I know its a great bike but it is local.

Do the local guys also jump on the band wagon or do they think if it cost less people will think it cheap?

Ceres

Slightly :offtopic: but:

Patrick's main market is the overseas market, as such he sets his prices based on what he can attain in this market. As a result we have to pay that premium in the local currency ZAR.

The frames are largely handmade by skilled artisans and are not MASS produced.

I hear his argument, but would be riding a Proudly ZAR Morewood today if I didn't have to start choosing between handmade brands based on the fact that the prices are so similar.

To Morewood: Hopefully, in the forseeable future, you might retail bikes through local bike shops at a price adjusted to suit the local market, available exclusively to ZAR passport holders?!

Similar to the guy who services my Volvo. He knows what OEM parts are supposed to cost. I asked him the other day how he can afford to charge only 35-40% of the dealers' price. He said it is easy, he does not buy from the local Volvo parts distribution, he buys the parts from overseas. Same part, same part number.

And another little story: I am trying to buy one of those fancy ant+ weight (body composition) scales. I contact the local distributor, he is not selling it and not interested to bring one in for me. I contact the manufacturer. They sell online, but not to South Africa, as there is a local distributor. They are not interested to help, say I must sort it out with the distributor. Google a bit and find an American on-line shop that is willing to ship to South Africa, at half the price I expected to pay! Must admit that I also contacted WantItAll, sheesh, they asked more than double what it is supposed to cost.

Only way i'll stop buying from CRC is if the local industry catches a wake up call. Unfortunately it seems to be a South African Business ethic to rip the customer off for as much as possible

+ 10000 !!!

I agree but why does a Morewood cost so much? I know its a great bike but it is local.

Do the local guys also jump on the band wagon or do they think if it cost less people will think it cheap?

simple... just cos they're that awesome :D

but yeah, as Drongo stated, Morewood has quite an international following. In fact there's a model (the Ndiza) that I've never even seen locally, but I know in Europe they race them.

Add to that the fact that they're hand made (and practically bomb proof).

I guess it's like if the people in Colorado were to ask why Yetis cost so much... It's all globalization of exclusive products.

Hawu wena!

They cant close doors. Still need to buy my Lynskey twisted 29er Ti frame

Listen to the gospel of Mr Shake and Bake!

Viva CRC

Sounds like some sour grapes here. PROFITS are obviously being slashed.

The problem here is that the LBSs appear to be the guys who make the least from the whole deal.

The manufacturers on the other hand make exactly what they calculate they HAVE to make in order to continue with R&D, keep up with technology, employ large amounts of staff, make a profit...etc. etc. Acceptable levels.

Then, into the fray steps the third - and apparently most evil - member of the equation, THE (bloody) AGENT!

Case in point:

Rockshox Monarch 4.2 HV shock:-

CRC price: R1789.63 ZAR (sale)

ZAR prices: Three LBSs

1. 3300.00

2. 3655.00

3. 3800.00

Rockshox Monarch 3.3

CRC price: R 994.21

ZAR prices: One LBS

1. 2800.00

Delivery from CRC to door - 5 days

Delivery from CT AGENT to LBS (sorry we don't bring in 3.3 - FU) - 5 days, and pay the transport charge!

(CRC will be paying the manufacturer the same price as any countries local agents to import into Ireland.)

LBS markup 20 to 33% MAXIMUM.

Now who the hell is making the most dosh in the whole deal??

I will continue to support CRC, after much thought around the whole 'support local' initiative. Why? Because 'supporting local' appears to be a fabulous marketing term to get EVERYONE to spend more money than is justifiable in order to support lifestyles that allow the importing AGENTS to own two houses in one province and a holiday pad on the coast, drive top dollar SUV's and wear branded clothing.

How many AGENTS for any given brand in this country?

Seldom EVER more than ONE!

I have ALWAYS had good service delivery from CRC. Open communication on any queries. Sent three items back, and had immediate returns affected even though one order was my stuff-up. Sure it might be slightly slower in Dec/Jan, but then that is an issue related to postal transport and not CRC. Their delivery times have nearly always beaten the delivery times of the local agents to LBS, and they either have, or quickly get, the item you WANT and not one you are TOLD to take.

My PROPOSALS in the next post.....

From The First link:

We are not fighting online sales. Despite that it is rapidly growing, we are aware of the fact that it also provides additional business to many retailers. We want to fight the price erosion inflicted by the large internet stores that have global distribution,” says Christian Tidow, initiator of the campaign and owner of Promobicis located near the Spanish city Alicante.

In other words they don't want us to have low prices.

Similar to the guy who services my Volvo. He knows what OEM parts are supposed to cost. I asked him the other day how he can afford to charge only 35-40% of the dealers' price. He said it is easy, he does not buy from the local Volvo parts distribution, he buys the parts from overseas. Same part, same part number.

And another little story: I am trying to buy one of those fancy ant+ weight (body composition) scales. I contact the local distributor, he is not selling it and not interested to bring one in for me. I contact the manufacturer. They sell online, but not to South Africa, as there is a local distributor. They are not interested to help, say I must sort it out with the distributor. Google a bit and find an American on-line shop that is willing to ship to South Africa, at half the price I expected to pay! Must admit that I also contacted WantItAll, sheesh, they asked more than double what it is supposed to cost.

These guys will probably ship or get a mate to bring it

http://www.scalesexpress.com/product.php?productid=16845

Found it pretty interesting, as a few days back I came across an article from an Australian website and they looking at ways of changing the way online shops trade etc,

"Retailers up the ante in GST campaign

Australian retailers that employ a total of 76,000 people have launched a campaign to force the federal government to level the playing field as they battle against foreign websites offering tax-free goods.

But Assistant Treasurer Bill Shorten says the federal government will not be rushed into making changes to the tax system.

"We agree with our customers that online retailing is a wonderful convenience that is here to stay," the advertisement reads. "We also agree that fair competition is good for our customers and we want to be able to offer them the same Australian tax exemptions that offshore retailers enjoy."

At the moment, no GST is imposed on goods that are bought from international websites for less than $1000.

"At the rate at which internet retailing is growing with mobile internet technology, the fact that offshore retailers aren't required to levy duty or GST on purchases under $1000 creates an enormous competitive advantage for foreign businesses selling into Australia. These businesses don't pay our taxes, employ our people, train our young people or contribute to our economy."

The move follows complaints from retail heavyweights including Harvey Norman boss Gerry Harvey, as well as suggestions from Myer boss Bernie Brookes that the department store could set up a Chinese distribution centre for online purchases.

And it comes as a surging Australian dollar makes online purchases from international sites an attractive option.

The ads warn that without action, the nation "will see a reduction in hours and shifts for casual and part-time workers, and ultimately cost Australians jobs in retail, manufacturing, logistics and related services".

Official retail sales data for October showed a drop of 1.1 per cent, a figure that shocked experts who had been predicting sales would rise 0.4 per cent.

The ads call on the government to either scrap the GST for locally sold goods priced at less than $1000 or apply the same impost to goods bought from foreign sites.

Mr Shorten said factors including the high Australian dollar, the continuing effects of the global financial crisis and belt-tightening across the nation were having more of an impact on retailers’ bottom lines than the GST.

“We respect the fact that large retailers like Gerry Harvey and Myer have ongoing concerns, but the ANRA (Australian National Retailers Association) – their own industry body – supports the government’s approach. We will not be stampeded into making rash decisions because of a vocal minority, especially when the majority of the sector and consumer groups like Choice support our sensible, measured approach.”

The government has announced a Productivity Commission inquiry into the future of the nation’s retail sector."

Hawu wena!

They cant close doors. Still need to buy my Lynskey twisted 29er Ti frame

"Hi-jack on"

Saw one in my LBS yesterday. Luckily for the owner it was a large frame. The bike is stunning in the "flesh".

Hi-jack off"

Aparantly they have people in customs that deal exclusivly with CRC orders coming into South Africa.

Here are my proposals to Hubbers/Cyclists:

1: Go to CRC website, click CONTACT US and send a letter of support stating your reasons. CRC has a right to have a day in court if the A.N.T.I site persists.

These letters of support will assist their case.

2. Go to the A.N.T.I site and post a reply (complaint) in the CONTACT US pad. It will not be posted; as PUBLIC comment does not appear to count! but it will (at the least) bombard their page and (at most) hopefully help them to see the error of their ways.

3. Go to CONTACT US on the sites of all the larger manufacturers who supply CRC (limit to those brands you use maybe?) and post an Anti-A.N.T.I rebuttal.

Here is my proposal to Local Bike Shops- CHAINS:

1. Open a 'web cafe'. in your shop. Those who choose not to service, repair and replace items on their bikes ( ..don't speak SPANNER ) can sit and fill their CRC baskets with their chosen goodies, pay you (the LBS) and have it delivered for you (the LBS) to install. You charge your labour fees etc.

2. As an LBS, order product that you know moves directly from CRC, along with 1 or more extra (Chris needed 15, he bought 20)to act quickly on warranty claims. By my calculations you will make more than buying from the local AGENT.

3. As Cycle CHAIN stores, pressurise the manufacturers to supply you DIRECT. No one can state that the cycle industry in SA lacks demand. I see more and more bikes on roads, carriers and cycle races every day - it's BOOMING.

For HUBBERS and Cyclist items 1-3 need your time input.

For LBSs, items 1-3 need your comment, as I may be a bit wrong, wrong, completely wrong, or just plain MAD.

"Hi-jack on"

Saw one in my LBS yesterday. Luckily for the owner it was a large frame. The bike is stunning in the "flesh".

Hi-jack off"

HI-Jack On

I haven't heard the best reviews as to the ride quality.

Beautiful frame but now I'm double guessing myself :blink:

Hi-Jack Off

Money talks!! At mine does...

I'll always shop with my wallet!! Bugger the loyalty arguement...I've yet to see the type of loyalty form SA dealers that warrants the ~50 -100% mark-up margins.

VIVA CRC viva...