stans or joe`s

jwagga

well personally i'd choose the joes, have had bad experiences with stans, but each has its weakness/ pro's.

when i gave stans a go, all the fibers meant to plug the holes from thorns etc formed a nice big rubber ball on the inside of the tire and was thus useless within a month, although other people have used it and been happy and haven't had that happen

with the joes I've found that after a while, it basically forms a layer of sticky film around the inside of your tire similar to dried wood glue (if that gives you an idea what i mean)

so each to their own, what i'd suggest is give the one a go, and if you happy with it, stick to it, if not use the other

Rather use OKO. No ammonia and slightly thicker viscosity.

What's OKO? Got any spare, really needed some yesterday at van Gaalens :rolleyes:

Edited by Laulil

well personally i'd choose the joes, have had bad experiences with stans, but each has its weakness/ pro's.

when i gave stans a go, all the fibers meant to plug the holes from thorns etc formed a nice big rubber ball on the inside of the tire and was thus useless within a month, although other people have used it and been happy and haven't had that happen

with the joes I've found that after a while, it basically forms a layer of sticky film around the inside of your tire similar to dried wood glue (if that gives you an idea what i mean)

so each to their own, what i'd suggest is give the one a go, and if you happy with it, stick to it, if not use the other

That rubber ball indicates an emulsion failure of sorts. Basically, the sticky stuff separated from the dilutant (water and ammonia) and could thus congeal. This has two causes - very old age and high heat or, a CO2 inflation that seems to immediately precipitate the latex from the solution.

Joe's and Stan's are functionally the same thing - organic latex preserved with ammonia and diluted with water and re-inforced with some inert fibres. The fact that your Joe's tyre behaved differently from the Stan's one, means they were treated differently.

That rubber ball indicates an emulsion failure of sorts. Basically, the sticky stuff separated from the dilutant (water and ammonia) and could thus congeal. This has two causes - very old age and high heat or, a CO2 inflation that seems to immediately precipitate the latex from the solution.

Joe's and Stan's are functionally the same thing - organic latex preserved with ammonia and diluted with water and re-inforced with some inert fibres. The fact that your Joe's tyre behaved differently from the Stan's one, means they were treated differently.

I think that the CO2 reacts with th H2O in the air to form H2CO3 (an acid) which neutralizes the ammonia (a base).

The ammonia being there to keep the latex in soluble form. No ammonia and an extra amount of acid: precipitation.

nope i used both exactly the same, and inflated both using compressed air at the same petrol station? lol, so am guessing i maybe just got a dud bottle of stans maybe?

I have tried both Stans & OKO. The Stans in my LUST tyres lasted longer than my tyres did (18 months or so), and when I finally cracked open the seal of the tyres it was suitably messy.

The OKO also does a good job, but I think to get the same degree of coating inside the tyre you need a lot more of it (as mentioned above its a far higher viscosity).

Old rumours on the HUB say a blend of the two is the bees knees. Maybe my next tyre change I will experiment and give some feedback.

Can I throw Batseal in here? Did a conversion on a set of 9er wheels this weekend. Holding up well so far :thumbup: R395 for the kit.

Hi,

I have used both the stans and the Joes. I found after 3 months my stans was like water, and didn't work when I actually needed it. Previously I have been using Joes and never once had a problem. Seems the rear wheel I put stans in I had to change 2 weeks ago after it would not seal a punture. Now the front wheel has started going flat if left over night yet there does not seem to be any wet marks where it is leaking. I suspect the Stans has gone to water and no longer works. I will be using Joes again. With Joes I was leaving the tires for 6 months plus and no problems.

Just my observations......

Can I throw Batseal in here? Did a conversion on a set of 9er wheels this weekend. Holding up well so far :thumbup: R395 for the kit.

Batseal? Where do they find the names for these products...Joes, Stans and then Batman invent this one?

Simply make your own and save money. Google the patent number on the Stans bottle and read the patent for the ingredients. Propolyne Glycol you get from the pharmacy (they might have to order for you), water you have, maize meal from Spar and latex from where-ever.

Being doing it for almost 2 years and it works well.

I have tried both Stans & OKO. The Stans in my LUST tyres lasted longer than my tyres did (18 months or so), and when I finally cracked open the seal of the tyres it was suitably messy.

The OKO also does a good job, but I think to get the same degree of coating inside the tyre you need a lot more of it (as mentioned above its a far higher viscosity).

Old rumours on the HUB say a blend of the two is the bees knees. Maybe my next tyre change I will experiment and give some feedback.

I had a mix of the 2 once and it formed a nice ball inside which wobbled at high speed and obviously stopped sealing holes properly.

Cant say with 100% certainty that it was because of the mix but thats the only time I've experienced it...

• 4 weeks later...

Batseal? Where do they find the names for these products...Joes, Stans and then Batman invent this one?

Batseal is a local SA product, you can find details here www.batseal.co.za. You can buy the sealant on its own or a 26" or 29" conversion kit

Batseal is a local SA product, you can find details here www.batseal.co.za. You can buy the sealant on its own or a 26" or 29" conversion kit

I did my 29er American Classic Wheels recently and it worked a charm - the sticky tape that comes with the AC wheels sucked large - the strip from Batseal seated nicely and the tyre popped on easily - no mess no fuss.

No punctures so far so I can't give evidence on the sealant yet...