Construction 99er RIP-OFF

TheSaint

Cycling has ALWAYS been an elitist sport

Maybe this is why there are so many self important ar$eholes about on bicycles.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mini Hijack

Why is this race not as well supported as the Burger? With only 70 people in the start groups, it doesn't seems like allot more people than a normal PPA fun ride? Both are seeding events for the Argus? Is it because of the fees are more expensive than the Burger? Or due to the Burger being the last chance to improve one's seeding for the Argus?

BTW, R170 is allot of money for people who live just above the breadline, I know of people who are in this position, they enjoy the sport but can't participate in events

Hijack off

Why is this race not as well supported as the Burger? With only 70 people in the start groups, it doesn't seems like allot more people than a normal PPA fun ride? Both are seeding events for the Argus? Is it because of the fees are more expensive than the Burger?

I haven't entered this race the last two years because I think the entry fee is too high. And I'm talking about the early entry fee. I don't care that much about Argus seeding any more. Even if I did I don't see why I should pay to improve it. I thought improving your seeding was about training.

How about a positive spin on late entries.

Last year a few of us decided at the last minute to go ride Babbas Lodge. Foned the organiser the day before to get details. Told her we hadn't entered, but there was a handful of us wanting to come ride. She said no problem, when we get there just ask for her.

On the morning, I spoke to her and instead of charging the (can't remember exact numbers) R 120 online entry. she charged us each R80 as we wouldn't get the t-shirt that came with the online entry. She also thanked us for coming through to support the race.

Now that is customer service and makes you want to go back for more.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Mini Hijack

BTW, R170 is allot of money for people who live just above the breadline, I know of people who are in this position, they enjoy the sport but can't participate in events

Hijack off

Im 1 of those people, i would like to do more rides but just cant afford to.

I really don't know why this expression is so popular. Who ever heard of a successful one man boycott? (When said person is joe bloggs, not justin bieber or similar person with public influence)

SteveCT, the expression "vote with your money" is popular because it expresses the purchaser's economic power perfectly.

In much the same way that in most electorates, each voter gets precisely one vote, in a market economy, each economic agent's "votes" are limited by their purchasing power.

So, if a race really does represent lousy value, people will not enter it. If enough individuals do this, then the race will fold.

Basic supply and demand. The organisers charge what they feel they can. The entry fee seems pretty standard for seeding events, which tend to be the bigger, better organised events. Sure it is a bit irritating that a few years ago it seems that we were only paying a few tenners for an entry, but times move on and we have seen rampant price increases in SA, and that affects the whole race organisation.

I see that the charities are Race Against Tik and the Salvation Army, not a bad place to put your spare cash, so see your entry fee benefiting others that you may not have helped othewise.

Sorry, but if you cant afford it or dont want to pay, dont. Try running it is a far more affordable sport, believe me race prices are not going to drop, ever.

The late entry fee is a penalty that is meant to discourage late entry. If it was a small fee everybody would leave it to the last minute to enter causing an administrative nightmare. Enter on time and avoid the penalty.

As far as the race fees go, if it's too expensive, don't enter. If it is that good then the race fee probably worth it. ;)

Edited by Grebel

No matter what some of the valid sentiments are towards late entries, CC307's question remains unanswered: why the 65% late entry penalty? Is it a disincentive to prevent a surge in entries a week prior to the event, thereby making logistical planning difficult? Surely the scale of the event is known with a high level of accuracy by now? And why is the MTB race almost half the price of the road event, with only a 25% late entry penalty? Is that the cost of the traffic cops? I thought I paid my municipal taxes!!

Jeez - another thread whining about late entry fees. I wish that orginisers would follow the Argus route and have a limited number of entries available. Make it first come first served and close the entries when they reach the magic number. Then its up to each of us to enter when we feel fit, and if we're too late, tough luck.

Dont worry CC, I dont want to spend that kind of money either.

Now with a family to look after and another one in the bun I need to seriously re-asses what I am spending my money on.

Agree with Marius, the argus is special and no matter what it costs there will always be a sentiment to do it.

You are getting full road closure there and if you make use of the snack stops and free massages etc you are actually getting a pretty sweet deal.

I am keen to booze cruise it this year to suck up every bit of enjoyment that I can get from being out there.

But over priced normal local races, even if they do count towards a argus seeding it is still wrong.

Jeez - another thread whining about late entry fees. I wish that orginisers would follow the Argus route and have a limited number of entries available. Make it first come first served and close the entries when they reach the magic number. Then its up to each of us to enter when we feel fit, and if we're too late, tough luck.

Why not just say, if you're poor F&%K Off. Why not make the races accessible to all rather, take this elitism in cycling and stick it where the sun don't shine.

Why not just say, if you're poor F&%K Off. Why not make the races accessible to all rather, take this elitism in cycling and stick it where the sun don't shine.

Nicely said! :clap:

I think we should change the name of this race to: the Corruption 99er

Haha!

Sweet.

Which gives me a awesome idea Marius.

Lets start a awesome huge road race, get it to be a argus qualifier. Get everything sponsored to us.

And charge a nice 300 smackers.

We will make millions man :P

Ya, there will be some cheesy remarks on that HUB thing, but hey, nothing that a wad of cash in your pocket cant sooth!