Road race - essential equipment

Rick

Hi guys

I'm sure this has come up many times in various forms, but I'm trying to plan and finalise my ideal race day kit list and I need some opinions on what people are taking with these days. Please bear in mind, i'm thinking strictly of a race, not training, when training i usually take the camelbak coz it's packed and i can put plenty of stuff in.

Firstly, I have just bought a CO2 dispenser because it strikes me as an obvious time saver. Question is, do you then also take a pump? If so, why.

How many tubes and how many bombs?

Do you take a chain breaker and quick links or do you clean and inspect the chain before racing and trust it?

Are guys using saddle bags? I see many forum posts implying that they are somewhat out of favour these days. Many guys are saying they put stuff in their pockets, but I have this nagging notion that you're trying to get weight OFF your body. I can't say I have ever had a saddle bag that rattles or makes a noise, rather i find the opposite in that i can't fit everything. Obviously if you get a massive one then it's an eyesore, but a sleek saddle bag to me means you don't have to pack at least 4 items each time you go racing.

Please share your thoughts

Thanks

Edited by prisma

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys

I'm sure this has come up many times in various forms, but I'm trying to plan and finalise my ideal race day kit list and I need some opinions on what people are taking with these days. Please bear in mind, i'm thinking strictly of a race, not training, when training i usually take the camelbak coz it's packed and i can put plenty of stuff in.

Firstly, I have just bought a CO2 dispenser because it strikes me as an obvious time saver. Question is, do you then also take a pump? If so, why.

How many tubes and how many bombs?

Do you take a chain breaker and quick links or do you clean and inspect the chain before racing and trust it?

Are guys using saddle bags? I see many forum posts implying that they are somewhat out of favour these days. Many guys are saying they put stuff in their pockets, but I have this nagging notion that you're trying to get weight OFF your body. I can't say I have ever had a saddle bag that rattles or makes a noise, rather i find the opposite in that i can't fit everything. Obviously if you get a massive one then it's an eyesore, but a sleek saddle bag to me means you don't have to pack at least 4 items each time you go racing.

Please share your thoughts

Thanks

Sorry just edited I see you said road race

first up if you use a bomb 2 cartridges ( CO2 thingy) make sure you use it a few times, waste a few cartridges getting to know it

if you are riding tubeless (mtb, no-one in their rightmind would ride on the road with a camelbak way uncool) make sure you have a plug kit( for cuts I had a punture on a tubeless and changed it to a tube, what a mess + you have no protection for thorns with a tube that has no slime in it) and also you know how to use it MTB Tip

I carry a bomb and a pump, pump weighs 130 grams, you see so many people needing one and really halfway through the race after half a bottle you wont feel it and a bomb doesnt go far in a mtb. MTB

I always carry a powerlink and chain breaker, the one time I left my chain breaker at home my chain broke.....MTB

saddle bag is good to keep the repair stuff, pockets for bottles and chow, I also use a pouch on my stem for gels etc

Also practice as you would race get used to riding with the minimum I race with a lightweight camelbak that only carries a litre and a bottle with 32GI, on a long race carry a portion of powder in cling in case I need a juice top up

The difference between a big camel bak and a lightweight + saddle pouch is about 0.8-1.0kg without water in either that a couple of thousand in parts on your bike

on a road bike I dont use the camelbak just two bottles and no pump as you cant get the wheel hard enough with pump anyway but then have a tube

every now and then I'll pull over and help a fellow racer in trouble its a good feeling, I mean I'm not gonna win...

Edited by wapad

An essential item in preparing for race day is prolly a bike as well? :D

Sorry for that, just had to

As a MTB'er, I always take the following:

One/two bottles/Camelback depnding on lenght of race

Pump (I dont run tubeless)

Saddlebag with Multi-tool, 2quick links, slime peel&stick pacthes, tyre levers and one tube with slime

On my body I carry stuff like gels, or whatever I take with me on race day to eat/drink.

Makes more sense if you have stuff to carry, to put that on your bike as far as possible, much more stable methinks

just my 2c

no-one in their rightmind would ride on the road with a camelbak way uncool

Pffffft!!!!

And who appointed you chief of the style police?

A Camelbak on the road is excellent. I'll stop using it on the road just as soon as I have a domestique to fetch bidons for me from the team car. Until then, the 'bak stays! It has space to carry a lightweight pump, small multi tool and small chain breaker and a R50 note for emergency money.

To answer the OP:

Saddle bag with two tubes, tyre levers, tool-less chain link and some glue on patches for just-in-case.

Saddle bags are rated uncool for some for exactly the same reasons that Camelbaks are rated as uncool: you don't see the pros using them. Do you want to ponce about looking like a pro or do you want to ride your bike (and be reasonably self-sufficient)?

Hi,

1. 2 C02 bombs

2. bicycle pump ( a must had a bomb fail on me in a race due to a sticky valve)

3. small chain breaker + power link

4. glove - those ones the guys use in the delicatessen. Handy, folds up to the size of a R5 coin

5. 1 tyre lever

6. small sqare cut out from an old tyre - for those nasty gashes

7. 2 tubes

I carry with me : 1 tube, 2 bombs, 1 chainlink, 1 gluless patch kit (5 in the box), R50, 1 x mini tool. If I puncture three times in a ride, well then, I might as well go home anyway, hence, 1 tube for the quick change, if i puncture a second time, I use the patch kit.

Nothing really more needed in my opinion.

I do NOT use a saddle bag. I pack in one little bag that goes on my left hand rear pocket.

If you are racing then essential equipment is a well maintained bike, water and food for the race, and thats all.

If you puncture and you don't have a back up vechile with a wheel your race is over anyway.

If you are not racing, then by all means take a spare, pump , tool kit and picnic hamper.

In my saddle bag: one tyre, instant patches, 2 tyre levers, one multitool, R100, PPA card. (I haven't yet broken a chain in my life, and can't figure out how one does. Touch wood that won't happen.)

On my bike, one pump. I bought bombs about a year ago but they take up more space/are less convenient than the pump.

In my water bottle: Cytomax or 32GI

In my pockets: one cellphone, one GU for emergencies, a Woolies pecan nut and date bar or a seed bar, my windproof top (I'm a cold woosie), 2 nicorettes for nagging moments, 1 packet cigarettes and lighter for after-action satisfaction.

In my saddle bag: one tyre, instant patches, 2 tyre levers, one multitool, R100, PPA card. (I haven't yet broken a chain in my life, and can't figure out how one does. Touch wood that won't happen.)

On my bike, one pump. I bought bombs about a year ago but they take up more space/are less convenient than the pump.

In my water bottle: Cytomax or 32GI

In my pockets: one cellphone, one GU for emergencies, a Woolies pecan nut and date bar or a seed bar, my windproof top (I'm a cold woosie), 2 nicorettes for nagging moments, 1 packet cigarettes and lighter for after-action satisfaction.

HA HA HA........ During you ride, do you get a craving???? Hectic.

I can go 4 hours, not thinking of a smoke onthe bike. Mind you, as soon as I unclip from my pedals, my lungs start screaming at me :blush:

I ride with a camelbak on the road. Means I can put my tools in one of those water bottle holders on the bike and I don't have to worry about running out of water. I'm a fat bastard on a steel bike so weight really isn't a concern to me.

I have seen it above but I also carry 2 x latex gloves. In case of blood or if I don't want to get my hands dirty. Just remember if you touch blood you can get whatever that person has.

I have seen it above but I also carry 2 x latex gloves. In case of blood or if I don't want to get my hands dirty. Just remember if you touch blood you can get whatever that person has.

Top fuel try those thin plastic gloves they use in a bakery or when shop assistants serve you food. Folds up much smaller!!

HA HA HA........ During you ride, do you get a craving???? Hectic.

I can go 4 hours, not thinking of a smoke onthe bike. Mind you, as soon as I unclip from my pedals, my lungs start screaming at me :blush:

4 hours is about my max, but I had to have two cigarettes on my first Argus, at Ocean View and bottom of Chappies. Screwed my times up royally. (PS: Nicorettes are serious doping power for hills!) :lol:

4 hours is about my max, but I had to have two cigarettes on my first Argus, at Ocean View and bottom of Chappies. Screwed my times up royally. (PS: Nicorettes are serious doping power for hills!) :lol:

I could use that :thumbup: