the all mountain bike - myth or reality?

Redline

Yup, worth it. No risk of pinch flats, especially when you're doing AM riding.

And not all the tyres are that expensive. I bought a 2.35 Nevegal UST for R340 ( if I remember correctly). Not that bad?

yeah not that bad I guess, but still, non UST is sub R200

I suppose slime-filled tubes are R80 a pop, so it kinda adds up :blush:

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can do tubeless with non UST tires - and it does work.

Agreed. I've been riding with a non UST Nevegal at the back for the last 6 months and no troubles. It does lose a small bit of air, but nothing too serious.

Yip, I have noticed that as well. UST aren't fool proof either, they leak a little as well at times...

Just need to choose a tire that seats well and solid on the rim and you happy as larry

lazy schmuck I am I had LBS do the tubeless conversion - just picked it up. 2.5 High Roller on the front, 2.35 Nevegal on the back - opinions?

post-12904-0-75121200-1308063889.jpg

The AM bike is a reality:

post-1575-0-14030900-1307777052.jpg

Right to far right: Morewood Shova, Specialized Enduro, Mojo HD and Vitamin P Mojo HD

If I am not mistaken I am the owner of that Turquoise Shova frame on the left ... if not then Snap!

2.5 High Roller on the front, 2.35 Nevegal on the back - opinions?

2.5 HR is pretty darn close in size to a 3.25 Nevegal so no issue with BB or HA or stuff like that. The only thing worth considering is that the Nevegal is quite a bit slower than the High Roller without a gain in grip.

High Roller front and back will be killer combo or go HR rear and Minion front.

2.5 HR is pretty darn close in size to a 3.25 Nevegal so no issue with BB or HA or stuff like that. The only thing worth considering is that the Nevegal is quite a bit slower than the High Roller without a gain in grip.

High Roller front and back will be killer combo or go HR rear and Minion front.

Thats Minaar's pretty much standard combo right there.... think the lad might be onto something, perhaps we should take notice!!! :lol:

Thats Minaar's pretty much standard combo right there.... think the lad might be onto something, perhaps we should take notice!!! :lol:

Minaar doesn't have to pedal up the hills :thumbup:

Not for DH races, but the rest of the week he has to pedal like us mere folk for training.

what tyres does he use then? :blush:

Have tried several tires over the years. I like

* High Rollers: Almost the perfect tire. Light for its size, fast , great grip, only the worst of winter (serious mud) will be too much for it, affordable. On the down side its a pity they don't make a non-DH 2.5. The 2.35 LUST is 830g f I remember correct. But to run 2.5 (on DH/Hectic AM rides I do) you have to run a UST from their DH range and then the weight jumps to over 1.2k's. Bloody hell! But worth it. Also they run narrow for their size. 2.35 is the same size as 2.1 Nevegal and the 2.5 is close to 2.35 Nevegal.

The great thing about High Rollers are that they are fast for the amount of grip. Truly the Holy grail. I've been testing a Anthem X and was running HR front and XMark rear. XM is fast, but lacks grip in almost every condition other than a straight line. And like you say they are n good in the Mud or Wet. So I dropped them for HR front and rear and the bike didn't feel any slower. In actual fact I could push harder on sgl track and general trail riding cause of the extra grip. This gave me more confidence in the bike which in return meant I was pushing harder on other sections as well.

Thank - any idea who stocks High Rollers in Jhb? (or CT that will ship to Jhb)

CRC! Pro-bike are the agents, but they only import a few models. Don't do LUST so for UST you have to go DH! A bit darfed. We need to phone them stukkend so they will start importing.

As far as I know minimum order qty is 20...surely we can cover that!