the all mountain bike - myth or reality?

Redline

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's more to an AM bike then just long suspension and a dropped seat. What about head angles. I would never try rough patches with the steep head angles of a XC bike.

Most riders (well, me anyway!) will run out of balls long before their bikes do. A Reign, Heckler, Shova or Remedy should go a long way. I recently built up a Heckler and there is no way I will ever see the limits of what that bike can do.

Saw guys doing the big road gap in Jonkershoek on Hardtails durinng the DH races last weekend...the guys must have come from DJ background...granted the bikes had proper forks and wheels on but they did it with a lot more style than most of the DHers! Until then I didn't realise that anyone even attempted DH on anything but long travel bikes.

I'd still like to try an On One Summer Season with 150mm fork...should be huge fun.

I'd still like to try an On One Summer Season with 150mm fork...should be huge fun.

Fun on a budget - Rock Shox Sektor Coil U-Turn (110 - 150mm) R3500

On-one Summer Season frame +- R2500

:thumbup:

you need this........

Hell Yeah!!! I see there is a blk L for sale at a really good price but got no $'s right now. :(

I've been thinking to get an adjustable seatpost. Where do you get this KSi950 stuff?

Hi Rudi,

I enquired a few months ago. Here are the details:

You would be looking at a on-line store price of R2110-00 for the post. I currently have stock. If you would like one, please let me know.

Regards,

Jason Geldenhuys

International Trade

jason@intltrade.co.za

www.intltrade.co.za

Mobile: +27 83 711 1107

Tel: +27 11 486 0060

Fax: +27 86 503 6547

@XTC 1. I remember watching the DH nationals at Heckport last year. There has a guy on a hradtail GT with Boxerfork up front!

Not sure where he placed but he looked pretty dam fast through the tight sections.

All mountain bike - In my opinion is only really and truely coming into its own within the last 2 years or so. Bikes have always had the travel but with a weight penalty. But now with nifty carbon or more refined aluframes it is a reality that you can pedal a 6" bike up and down the hill - Mojo HD and Nomad-c come to mind, as well as Morewoods new Sukuma, Giant Reign, Titus El Guapo...the list goes one.

I mean, a DH bike in the 90's had 5-6" of travel, now this is becoming a bike guys want to hurtle around on on the weekend. Progression and technology is awesome....along with, and don't forget this, suspension platforms and tuning over the years have made these bikes even better.

The one gets the long travel hardtail, ready for abuse in all the right ways and bomb proof. I have seen guys kill it on a long travel hardtail and make the chaps on the fancy full sus sleds look silly....

So this boils down to rider ability too. You either have that ability, or not....or are cazy enough to try and attain it. I am of the crazy catagory and its quite fun, come and join sometime. Just don;t bring BOS cause he makes me fall over!

All mountain is the way of the future - lighter bikes, longer suspension and go anywhere on the hill...up or down. But as we know it is more about the going down!

And a bright retort to that last statement would be..... "Thats What she said...."

Has anyone ever seen a broken Reighn frame? I certainly haven't and I think they are near indestructible.

I have broken a reign, 2years of XC and it was done. Get a nomad or mbuzi