the all mountain bike - myth or reality?

Redline

It's this Specialized:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=39200

Only difference is the bike in question has 2 chain rings + bash guard, and SLX cranks. The fork on this bike and the X9 / X7 combo appeals to me...

The Commencal is an '06 (white with black rear triangle, not the "boomerang") with Tora front fork, Monarch rear shock, X7 deraillers and shifters, and older Avid Juicy 3 brakes, DT Swiss wheels. It's also a little beat up - I've seen it in person. Only seen a pic of the Specialized but it looks to be in good nick

I can get a Marzocchi All-Mountain 2 fork from a fellow hubber for it, but I've heard the local zocchi agents have been awol for a while so not sure about spares and backup :/

1 thing I've been wondering as well - is it worth the risk to buy a bike like this 2nd hand, privately, as opposed to from a dealer with some sort of warranty?

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All this arguing about how many mm for each category is irrelevant!

What is important is to know that the longer the travel the better!!!

Nuff said. :clap:

As much as I hate to say, the Spaz is a better buy. Double and Bash all the way!

Look that model Meta is still a good bike and the rear end on the older models is stiffer than the boomerang version. If you buying from a dealer who can give you a warranty its always a bonus.

Johan Bornman now has the agency for Zokes forks, and in my opinion the dude knows what he's doing. So Zokes forks and non servicing are a thing of the past. They are a bit heavy though, but can take a beating!

If you know what you are buying second hand, then it should be fine.

correction, it's an 07 model. same model as the one in this pic, just not as clean and a different spec :P ...

post-12904-0-61539800-1305559972.jpg

Edited by the_wes

right so the spaz got sold, some info on the commie:

the dude wants R8k for it, it's currentl got a RS Tora on. I really don't dig the Tora, and it's a 130mm travel fork anyway so I'm going to change that if I buy it - a Rock Shox Sektor is going to cost me roughly R3.5k, and I'll need to convert the front hub of my existing wheelset (which I'll put on instead of the current wheels) to through-axle (well, don't HAVE to, WANT to) which will set me back another few hundred.

What do you guys think? Worth it? My one concern is the frame is a little banged up - couple of usual cable rubs and nicks in the paint, and some bad chain rub on the rear triangle (right through the paint), but also a small ding on the seat tube by the linkage. Not sure if it's reason for concern...

O-bike also has the 2008 Khyber Elite for R11 500 (just need to see if a M will fit me)...

OR I must just do what I've been saying the last year and build up an on-one (although I'd rather buy a complete bike - the Mrs wants to start riding and I'll need my bike to trade for a bike for her)

• 2 weeks later...

The plot thickens - 2010 Trance X2 on the market with stellar specs. Now the question - is 120mm enough??? Still thinking about the commie, but that ding bothers me and the Trance is 3 years younger...

my new trail toy! Picked it up last week!

Velly velly nice. Just not yet convinced about carbon for harder AM type riding. That's why I stuck to the alu Intense Tracer. Well let us know if yours breaks within the first few weeks!

The plot thickens - 2010 Trance X2 on the market with stellar specs. Now the question - is 120mm enough??? Still thinking about the commie, but that ding bothers me and the Trance is 3 years younger...

The trance is a great trail bike, but it is NOT an all-mountain bike. The head angle is too steep, and this will compromise you on fast rocky steep descents.

For all-mountain usage, you ideally want a head angle of 67.5 degrees or slacker. Minimum 140mm front travel (ideally 150-160) is a must.

The trance is a great trail bike, but it is NOT an all-mountain bike. The head angle is too steep, and this will compromise you on fast rocky steep descents.

For all-mountain usage, you ideally want a head angle of 67.5 degrees or slacker. Minimum 140mm front travel (ideally 150-160) is a must.

Thinking of slapping a 140mm travel fork onto it, which should slacken the head angle a bit...

Regardless of whether it's truly all mountain or not though, it is one hell of a trail bike as you say. The parts spec alone is impressive.

Thinking of slapping a 140mm travel fork onto it, which should slacken the head angle a bit...

Regardless of whether it's truly all mountain or not though, it is one hell of a trail bike as you say. The parts spec alone is impressive.

The 140mm fork should do it. The Advanced (Carbon)Trance has a 140 on it.

I would also say put on a shorter stem - I did this to my 2010 Trance X2 and it makes a huge difference to how it feels in the rough stuff and in the air.

I am still not sure I would race DH on it (I just scared the hell out of myself at Gillooly's on a Reign X - 160 front, 6.7" rear - on the weekend) but you could tackle some of the milder tracks I guess, and do it just for the fun of it.

right so the spaz got sold, some info on the commie:

the dude wants R8k for it, it's currentl got a RS Tora on. I really don't dig the Tora, and it's a 130mm travel fork anyway so I'm going to change that if I buy it - a Rock Shox Sektor is going to cost me roughly R3.5k, and I'll need to convert the front hub of my existing wheelset (which I'll put on instead of the current wheels) to through-axle (well, don't HAVE to, WANT to) which will set me back another few hundred.

What do you guys think? Worth it? My one concern is the frame is a little banged up - couple of usual cable rubs and nicks in the paint, and some bad chain rub on the rear triangle (right through the paint), but also a small ding on the seat tube by the linkage. Not sure if it's reason for concern...

O-bike also has the 2008 Khyber Elite for R11 500 (just need to see if a M will fit me)...

OR I must just do what I've been saying the last year and build up an on-one (although I'd rather buy a complete bike - the Mrs wants to start riding and I'll need my bike to trade for a bike for her)

Ah-hah! Owner will take 6.5k for the bike! That makes life difficult. Here are some pics of the dings, and I already have a buyer for the Tora!!

The question is: through axle, or not through axle (the former being more expensive as I'll need a new front hub) hmmm

post-12904-0-99175500-1307038924.jpg

post-12904-0-78665800-1307038939.jpg

post-12904-0-77556600-1307038951.jpg

so, not to hijack Stev0's topic. Wes got me thinking that I am not to old for downhill :)

Talking to bike shops, they recommend spending 20k on proper dh bike. that is a bit much.. so to investigate other options:

the "all mountain bike" is a myth. any jump, or big rock or similar requires a very low seat height, otherwise the seat kicks you over the bars.

you need a high seat for XC for proper leg extension and comfort. so just taking those two factors into account it is not possible. right?

so is the only option then a soft-tail with a seat drop device?

morewood sukuma, with a hydrolic saddle, you can even adjust the bb height for that perfect ride, and change the geomitry to accomodate even more travel if required.

Kris Holm riding the north shore on a uni:

That guy is amazing, incredible. He does stuff I wouldnt dream of doin on two wheels. :thumbup: