EF Education-EasyPost : Chirps, Opinions, Updates

'Dale

New naming partner being announced today.

Can't wait to hear who it is. (And how much they docked up)

Lets hope it will be a long term sustainable partnership - the team needs stability.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Dale - you are going to be busy, you are going to have to change the thread title again ????

Edited by nickc

So Dale - you are going to be busy, you are going to have to change the thread title again ????

Hehehe

Wonder who'll be the title sponsor hey

Looking forward to the announcement of our new sponsor! Happy that @Ride_Argyle continues & proud I'm part of it! Big thanks 2 all the fans!

Sep, Tweetiebird ????

EF Education First has been confirmed as the new title sponsor of the Cannondale-Drapac team for the 2018 season

Jonathan Vaughters announced the name of the sponsor on Saturday afternoon, confirming the new sponsorship saves the team from closure. The company stepped in after a potential sponsor backed out, leaving the team $7million short and its future in doubt.

EF Education First is a Swedish firm with offices and schools in more than 50 countries. It offers language training, educational travel, academic degree programs, and cultural exchange.

The team will be known as EF Education First - Drapac powered by Cannondale.

As part of its campaign to raise money or find a sponsor, the team announced a crowdfunding project. The Fairly Group, a consulting group belonging to the family of former pro cyclist Caleb Fairly, said that it would match donations up to a total of two million dollars. As of midday Saturday, the fund had raised $539,040.

The action seems to have been reponsible for convincing the new sponsor to come on board. On Friday afternoon the team tweeted, " Our new naming partner was energized by the #SaveArgyle movement. We ride on because of YOU. We are grateful, humbled and so, so excited."

Vaughters’ team announced Oath, a digital media company, as a new sponsor during the Tour de France, and in the weeks that followed, the team announced multiple new contracts extending through 2018 and beyond. However two weeks ago, the team announced that the expected new name sponsor had backed out of the deal. The team told Cyclingnews that it needed $7 million.

The riders and staff were informed that they were free to look for new teams for 2018. "All Slipstream Sports staff have been released from any and all contractual obligations for 2018. All 2018 contracts will be honored if our future is secured.

On Friday the team was informed that a new sponsor had been found and that “if you have a contract with Slipstreamsports for 2018, we are enforcing your contract.”

Riders under contract

This presented possible legal problems for the team, as several riders with contracts for the coming year, understanding that these contracts were no longer valid, are said to have signed with other teams. It had previously been announced that Dylan Van Baarle had re-signed for two more years. However, his agent told Cyclingnews that the agreement was only verbal and that not contract had actually been signed. The agent said that he would contact the team again, however, it is expected that Van Baarle will leave.

Tour de France runner-up Rigoberto Uran was amongst those who signed a new contract with Cannondale-Drapac in August. After the news broke, he said that he would look for a new team, but would wait for (coincidentally) two weeks, in order to give Slipstream time to find a new sponsor. Despite rumours that he had reached a tentative agreement with another team, his manager has confirmed to Cyclingnews that he will remain with Slipstream for the duration of his new three-year contract. He is expected to remain team leader for the Tour de France after his second place this year.

Sep Vanmarcke, the team’s leader in the Spring Classics, had said that he could not afford to wait until a new sponsor was found. However, his agent too has confirmed to Cyclingnews that he will remain with the team.

The US-registered team has gone through a variety of name sponsors since Slipstream (the management company) took it over in 2007.

A major change came in 2011, when the Cervelo Test Team folded and merged with Vaughters’ team, bringing in seven new riders. For the 2015 season, it merged with the Cannondale team, with numerous Slipstream riders being released or not renewed, against their expectations.

"The fundamental thing to understand about this is that [EF] are working towards becoming the majority partner in Slipstream sports. It is not just a plain sponsorship deal, at all. It’s a much more involved partner. As far as rider recruitment and all of that, they will be an integral part of that decision making.”

Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2017/09/news/cannondale-becomes-ef-education-first-drapac_447772#3tt2qDOMe0cBPhz7.99

I am extremely pleased for the team - a three year deal, that is good news. Interesting in the long term that would like to become team co - owner.

Also U.S. Political Figure John Kerry involved in help finding a Sponsor - all very interesting.

I am extremely pleased for the team - a three year deal, that is good news. Interesting in the long term that would like to become team co - owner.

Also U.S. Political Figure John Kerry involved in help finding a Sponsor - all very interesting.

Close shave

Definitely razor burn

Phew! ????

• 3 weeks later...

Slipstream Sports, the management team behind Cannondale-Drapac, announced the signing of American Logan Owen on Wednesday. The 22-year-old has spent the last four seasons racing for Axel Merckx’s U23 program, Axeon-Hagens Berman, where he became the first American to win the U23 Liège-Bastogne-Liége, and also delivered the team’s first Tour of Utah stage win.

A national cyclocross champion in the junior and U23 categories, Owen gave up ‘cross in 2016 in pursuit of a WorldTour contract.

Slipstream Sports, the management team behind Cannondale-Drapac, announced the signing of American Logan Owen on Wednesday. The 22-year-old has spent the last four seasons racing for Axel Merckx’s U23 program, Axeon-Hagens Berman, where he became the first American to win the U23 Liège-Bastogne-Liége, and also delivered the team’s first Tour of Utah stage win.

A national cyclocross champion in the junior and U23 categories, Owen gave up ‘cross in 2016 in pursuit of a WorldTour contract.

Good signing !!

So with all the sponsorship delays how many riders did they end up losing?

I see conflicting reports around this.

Good signing !!

They have lost a lot of riders and a good amount of their key riders.

Good signing !!

Yip

Rebuilding now, nickc

They've been here before - bleeding talent and UCI points. ????

There is still a core of experienced and prolific racers. And a whole lot of new faces.

Most importantly, secured and sustained sponsorship ????.