Tokai Maintenance and Building

EvilRabbit

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, can we start a mailing list to alert everyone for trailbuilding sessions? Maybe shoot a mail to everyone a couple days before? If the next one is this weekend, I'll be able to make it.

I've got a couple of thoughts from my last session riding at Tokai.

Snakeyes/Rinkhals: I think this trail needs urgent work, or needs closure until such time. The ruts are so deep. I nearly bought a serious chunk of the farm on it as I wasn't expecting this, and hit the one rut at speed, which sucked my wheel in.

After the My Roots/Your Rocks sections, there is a trail after the river section that leads to the old tabletop in the clearing. I think it would be rad to re-develop this section. I'm not sure why it hasn't been (is there a reason for this?). We could build a nice berm for the 90 degree right and get a decent lip built on the tabletop. It's a great spot for a good jump, awesome photo potential, and nice and close to the cars to limp back if you case it ;)

Well done to all the guys helping to make TOKAI even better. :clap: :clap:

Would love to join you some time. Next week end is out as i have to cook for the Crusaders. :thumbdown:

Does anyone go from the Blouberg area that I could catch a lift with sometime. :unsure:

Guys, can we start a mailing list to alert everyone for trailbuilding sessions? Maybe shoot a mail to everyone a couple days before? If the next one is this weekend, I'll be able to make it.

I've got a couple of thoughts from my last session riding at Tokai.

Snakeyes/Rinkhals: I think this trail needs urgent work, or needs closure until such time. The ruts are so deep. I nearly bought a serious chunk of the farm on it as I wasn't expecting this, and hit the one rut at speed, which sucked my wheel in.

After the My Roots/Your Rocks sections, there is a trail after the river section that leads to the old tabletop in the clearing. I think it would be rad to re-develop this section. I'm not sure why it hasn't been (is there a reason for this?). We could build a nice berm for the 90 degree right and get a decent lip built on the tabletop. It's a great spot for a good jump, awesome photo potential, and nice and close to the cars to limp back if you case it ;)

we were actually talking about this yesterday - I agree with you bro. It's just that there is so much more that needs to be done first. I know it'll just be a 1 hour job to refurb it, but once again, we need to make sure that the other trails are looked after first.

As for WHY it was left out, I can only suggest that My Roots (as it used to be) was becoming EXTREMELY eroded. I loved it, but it was getting bad.

Snake Eyes & Rinkhals - I don't go anywhere near those trails anymore. Too rutted & sandy. Plans are afoot though, but it will take time.

Ok, last of all the q's...

If a sponsor was found for the timber, how long would it take to get approvals to make use of the timber? Are there plans in place showing potential builds for ladders, boardwalk trails that are waiting for funding / resources?

Or would one have to start the process with the powers that be saying: "Right, we have all this timber and we want to use it here, here and there. Do we have consent?"....I would imagine this process would take a loooonnnnggg time.

I work in the construction industry, and the amount of (timber as an example) stuff that gets chucked to landfill/dump is sometimes just gross! I have seen companies chuck out entire decks of balau (that wonderful handwood that you see all silver and weathered yet unscathed in the waterfront) without batting an eyelid. This stuff would be ideal, just needs a treated gumpole structure etc...

Otherwise timber like saligna (blue gum basically) is sustainable and readily available, or the cheapest of them all - black-wattle that can be cut from the mountain and nailed together, has natural tannens in it to stop rotting and is very hardy.

I know exactly which root you are talking about. Glad it's gone, makes the line up much faster. SHot for the hard work chaps. I'm off the bike with flu at the moment. Yay

Please don't renew your wildcard, and please don't come back to Tokai with this terrible attitude and disregard for the park. I can't believe you're condoning that cut corner. I saw it the other day and I have to wonder how lame these riders are. I though the whole point of MTB was to get nice and dirty.

Ok, just keep throwing the cash for the bike permit down the toilet!

I train hard during the week, so on the weekend I like to get onto the trails.

If I see a trail to the left with about 80mm deep x 1.5m long of water in front of me with 2 huge roots and a trail to the right with no obstacles then I`m gonna take the easier route. I do enough technical riding (ride up all single track on a quiet day).

Is just a typical South African attitude to throw money away and never see it being used for anything. Then you get a guy like cptmayhem who is doing the work and not even getting paid!

If I see a trail to the left with about 80mm deep x 1.5m long of water in front of me with 2 huge roots and a trail to the right with no obstacles then I`m gonna take the easier route. I do enough technical riding (ride up all single track on a quiet day).

Is just a typical South African attitude to throw money away and never see it being used for anything. Then you get a guy like cptmayhem who is doing the work and not even getting paid!

And this is just typical mentality.. assuming you have all the facts may put you at a disadvantage in a discussion.

Your comment is confusing. You ride technical trails but run away from two roots and a puddle looking for an easier path. Did you not read Cpt's earlier response to shortcuts?

That's no excuse to cut a corner and create erosion on the trails. If you train hard during the week then it should be easy to tackle the roots section and ride through a couple of puddles. You telling me you're too lazy to ride through an 8cm deep puddle?!! Come on man get real, are you a mountain biker or not? Maybe we should spend the money on having all of the trails tarred so you can bring your road bike?

What does the "typical South African attitude" have to do with this? It's not your right to ride at Tokai. We are very very lucky to have this amazing space to play, and heaps of work gets done to make that possible. Cutting corners on switchbacks etc is a big no no anywhere you go. Learn to ride the hard bits man.

Sorry David, but that section you're talking about is not even remotely technical... the water was 50mm deep, and had no underlying obstacles. The roots were being traversed by kids on 24" rigid mtb's... a little pop on the front wheel and o'er she goes...

Or you get your bike dirty...

The point is that the illegal diversion should never have been made in the first place. But please, carry on paying the permit fee... It WILL be helping in the future...

And I have to edit your post here...

guys like

Omega Man (currently in France, riding some sick trails - the bastid)

Pain or Shine

Jarek Wysocki

myself

and many others

do it for free...

If a sponsor was found for the timber, how long would it take to get approvals to make use of the timber? Are there plans in place showing potential builds for ladders, boardwalk trails that are waiting for funding / resources?

Or would one have to start the process with the powers that be saying: "Right, we have all this timber and we want to use it here, here and there. Do we have consent?"....I would imagine this process would take a loooonnnnggg time.

I work in the construction industry, and the amount of (timber as an example) stuff that gets chucked to landfill/dump is sometimes just gross! I have seen companies chuck out entire decks of balau (that wonderful handwood that you see all silver and weathered yet unscathed in the waterfront) without batting an eyelid. This stuff would be ideal, just needs a treated gumpole structure etc...

Otherwise timber like saligna (blue gum basically) is sustainable and readily available, or the cheapest of them all - black-wattle that can be cut from the mountain and nailed together, has natural tannens in it to stop rotting and is very hardy.

Well, there is already approval for several projects, one of them being the bridge rebuild. Approval time is dependant on the necessity of construction.

The wood you describe being thrown out.. at a loss for words.. it's obscene to think that it is not being recycled! If you have access to that type of wood and are able to supply, it would raise the bar in trail development in Tokai. The better the job, the easier the approval for future jobs.. My Roots is a good example of that. We are in the second year since its opening and apart from monitoring, have not needed to go back. Maintenance is on the list, but very minor in comparison to the 'unplanned' routes elsewhere on the mountain.

EDIT--- Clay is also sought after.. while there is budget for Laterite, a good quality clay will allow further development.

Edited by Pain or Shine

on another note - do you have access to that wood? I sure would like to use some small amounts for bookcases / chairs at my place!!! It's crazy to think of all that over-specced wood being thrown out when it could be used to make a perfectly good tv cabinet or bookcase!!! And I need to make myself some of those, so the wood would NOT go to waste!

In echoing PorS though - if we could get hold of that wood for Tokai - a ma ma ma maaaaazing!

Hey, I noticed you guys doing trail work. Thanks a million, I for one really appreciate it.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread as I'm busy putting trails in on a farm, more XC than DH, but after chatting to Nigel Hicks, and from my own experience I want to make some very technical lines.

I use black wattle for quite a few purposes, it lasts more than twice as long as gum, which I would not use for any structural purposes.

I am assuming you are cutting from the alien growth on the farm, cool not to have restrictions. Try walking in through the gate of a nature reserve with a chainsaw, you might get more than just looks!

We have a good relationship with a wood supplier in S'set West. Good rates 'n all, but nothing beats free, good quality timber.

Deanbean - can you get hold of any?

Dood, you can't ask a fellow builder for his stash of wood?!

Where is the farm btw?