Tokai Maintenance and Building

EvilRabbit

Captain - human nature, panic at the 11th hour about how you plan to fix the problem...similar scenarios:

Global warming

Human population

Cape Towns sewerage system...

Ok, reality - the trees help with stabilizing the soil. Fynbos likes sandy soil. MTB is the biggest growing sport in SA (fact). All Cape Town mtb'ers feel a sense of ownership and passion for Tokia (if you don't, you wierd). Forestry is big bucks...

SO, instead of me telling everyone what should've been done....how about throwing out the possibilities and ideas of what can be done?

I see the forestry as an awesome time to plan for the future. Tree's won't be felled again for lets say a minimum of 20 years? Which gives us the opportunity to negotiate and make some new amazing trails.

It gives us the chance of sorting out the flow for safety sake of the riders - going both up and down

It offers us a damn good reason to get involved and make some new special features or extending existing runs to make long flowing trails that makes the world want come ride in our back garden - hell we are going to benefit from it personally over the next 20 years

We have been lent this great piece of land, something that allows us to ride in relative safety and to ride our hearts out at whatever level we can.

Yes the system of getting permission is flawed, but so is the way that the trails are made and maintained. And we all rely on a small nucleus of people that are operating within this difficult system to make it happen - to get permission, get volunteers, get it built....

So, how about some ideas for the people involved who are watching this thread? I'll give you an example:

I am going to make a mission to find as much dis-used timber from the construction sites that I am involved in to donate for features, propping, stabilising - hell for braai after a long day digging at the trail side.

Who's next?

Hell yeah!

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. I always enjoy reading about how people feel and understanding various points of view. I would like to commend the following people (pardon me if I have left you out): CPTMayhem, DJR, Pain or Shine etc. You guys are doing a tremendous job on the trails and I promise you that it does not go unnoticed, my mates and I truly appreciate it!!

It was not my intention to enter into any arguments. I merely like to contribute where I can. The most important thing in this topic is that irrespective of riding discipline, we are all bike nuts who are passionate about this sport!!

As mentioned in the past, I would not know who maintained the trails in the late 80's / early 90's and I doubt anyone here would have a clue either?. Back then there was no internet easily available and an awesome forum like this was a schoolboy's dream!. I guess I could ask some of my older Wharthog friends, I am sure they would know. There is a lot of young blood here in the hub, which is a good thing, but sometimes there is no substitute for experience.

Something I was wondering about and perhaps someone can help me out here?. Are there any hubbers in this topic affiliated to the Sanparks?. Reason why I am asking is who decides where a trail can start / end?. As well as who can call the shots and possibly re-route a trail in order to possibly save an existing trail due to water logging or a broken tree which may have fallen and blocked the path?. Do you submit a trail re-route plan to Sanparks or do you just use common sense?. And who decides where to build new trails?. I for one would not know who gives this authority?. PLease can someone explain this to me. I would very much like to understand the procedure.

Another thing, and I don't mean to hijack this thread.... I am always amused at people saying "you know the rules!". Well, I am stumped... What rules would everyone be refering to?. We know general rules like: no fires, no picnicking, dogs on leads only, horses on horse paths, riding times etc... but what mountain rules are being referred to? I am not aware of Sanparks publishing any "rules of the mountain"?. We all know the rules of the road when driving thanks to K53 books etc... But until I physically see a mountain rule book, then I guess Im just gonna use my noggin and hopefully common sense.

Chaps, its been swell. I don't often get onto the Hub but when I do I always look forward to reading a good topic, especially one close to home. Please PM me the next trailbuilding date and I will try and be available to help. Keep up the good work, it does not go unnoticed :)

No worries guy. A bit of healthy debate is always good!

With regards to the building of new trails, as far as I know (I am not personally involved in this process, so just guessing here) there is a proper planning procedure. What this entails is first a proposal, which in itself needs to take into account the environmental impact of a new trail, as well as what the new trail will offer that those existing trails do not. In addition, there would have to be an entrenched management procedure in said proposal of the new trail, in order to make sure it remains neutral to the environment and the park itself. The type of trail would also come into question, as well as the type of measures used to keep erosion at bay. This is all in the proposal stage (once again, I am just guessing here). Funding would also have to be discussed. Whether it be from the SANParks /TMNP coffers or from the users themselves as a donation etc.

From there, I guess it would go to the powers that be for deliberation and a decision would be made. Not that simple, as some of you who are familiar with proposals like this may know.

For the maintenance of existing trails, I would think it is a bit easier to gain acceptance for that, as the trail is already there. It still needs approval though. However, the Section Manager does walk through the forest quite often, and he does notice new & unauthorized trails / diverts. If he finds one, then he clamps down on the whole process.

WRT to cutting diverts - the only time I think that this would happen is if the existing trail were either too eroded due to over-use, or if it became dangerous to ride on. For this, there would need to be authorization from the Section Manager in order for it to go ahead.

Once again - I do not have any personal involvement with the process, but it is there. People like Meurant and Pain or Shine, as well as his friend "Koos" are making it possible to work on these trails through their hard work on managing the relationship between the builders / maintainers & the parks.

Pain or Shine - if I have missed anything out here, please correct me.

As for the rules, they are there... you just need to look closely! ;)

And I'm sure you will be welcome next time!

Captain - human nature, panic at the 11th hour about how you plan to fix the problem...similar scenarios:

Global warming

Human population

Cape Towns sewerage system...

Ok, reality - the trees help with stabilizing the soil. Fynbos likes sandy soil. MTB is the biggest growing sport in SA (fact). All Cape Town mtb'ers feel a sense of ownership and passion for Tokia (if you don't, you wierd). Forestry is big bucks...

True dat. But through proper maintenance, could a fynbos-lined trail not possibly be absolutely fine given proper attention?

SO, instead of me telling everyone what should've been done....how about throwing out the possibilities and ideas of what can be done?

I see the forestry as an awesome time to plan for the future. Tree's won't be felled again for lets say a minimum of 20 years? Which gives us the opportunity to negotiate and make some new amazing trails.

It gives us the chance of sorting out the flow for safety sake of the riders - going both up and down

It offers us a damn good reason to get involved and make some new special features or extending existing runs to make long flowing trails that makes the world want come ride in our back garden - hell we are going to benefit from it personally over the next 20 years

We have been lent this great piece of land, something that allows us to ride in relative safety and to ride our hearts out at whatever level we can.

Absolutely!

Yes the system of getting permission is flawed, but so is the way that the trails are made and maintained. And we all rely on a small nucleus of people that are operating within this difficult system to make it happen - to get permission, get volunteers, get it built....

So, how about some ideas for the people involved who are watching this thread? I'll give you an example:

I am going to make a mission to find as much dis-used timber from the construction sites that I am involved in to donate for features, propping, stabilising - hell for braai after a long day digging at the trail side.

Who's next?

Offer of a free body (not like that) to do any and all work that needs to be done? Failing that - a braai master for after the event!

I can provide tools, but it seems as if MoreTrails has provided much of what is necessary ito the wood!

We do need clay though. And good quality clay as well!

Braai,did someone say BRAAI?

We can book the upper picnic area (SANParks may give it to us free of charge?)and I'll sponsor the meat and some cold ones.

Bloody good idea.

DJR - one of my friendly neigbours is a bottle store. I'll join you on the sponsorage of some coldies...

Might be able to wangle some meat as well. Will see what's available at them low low prices, eh, mahmoo!

How about forming a Tokai MTB riders group. Something like the Tygerberg MTB group. Not that we could ride for free but we could form a group that is interested in keeping, uplifting and improving the trails at tokai. Maybe this way we could show SANPARKS that the riders want to get involved in Tokai.

have little comp days etc group working days. bring and braais after-ward's. Could even try get someone to give talks on trail building and have a Q&A session so they guys that think they know it all can ask what they want .

Maybe link it in with the hub some how? Ask admin for a new section with clubs in??

The club can also try make ppl aware of rules at the park with leaflets etc small maps, signage.

Just a idea.

:blush:

DJR - one of my friendly neigbours is a bottle store. I'll join you on the sponsorage of some coldies...

Might be able to wangle some meat as well. Will see what's available at them low low prices, eh, mahmoo!

Let me know when Ill try get a sheep on a spit :) :thumbup:

How about forming a Tokai MTB riders group. Something like the Tygerberg MTB group. Not that we could ride for free but we could form a group that is interested in keeping, uplifting and improving the trails at tokai. Maybe this way we could show SANPARKS that the riders want to get involved in Tokai.

have little comp days etc group working days. bring and braais after-ward's. Could even try get someone to give talks on trail building and have a Q&A session so they guys that think they know it all can ask what they want .

Maybe link it in with the hub some how? Ask admin for a new section with clubs in??

The club can also try make ppl aware of rules at the park with leaflets etc small maps, signage.

Just a idea.

:blush:

Sounds like a plan! I'm always keen for a braai, and I think the club idea would help with the attempt to get volunteers in to help with the work.

Nice one, Leet!

Guys, reading all these awesome posts with ideas and opinions. THIS is what forums are about. Nice one. :thumbup:

Please put my name down on the list for trail building, whether is using a spade or a pick or whatever to help maintain or build new tracks I am very keen to help out in any form. Time to give back what nature has given to us!

I've been following this thread (an others similar to this for a long while). Please add me to a mailing list for trail build days and remember that most riders that would be keen to help out are not on the hub.

With this in mind I think a club (with active blog) is the way to go. Nothing official is necessary for the moment but the most important thing is that it its ACTIVE. The reason Tygerberg mtb club is such a success is because James and Adrian are so active (on the digital front as well as the activity front).

Heres a story on single track being allowed to be built in a National Park in the US. http://bit.ly/m9Yca0

They got hikers and horse riders together to represent a bigger action group and make sure they got noticed-might be the way to go in Tokai as we are all in the same boat really.

Just on twitter and AMArider (Meurant &co) sure to help out with any issues. Also, can maybe get some ideas/inspiration from IMBA canada trail care group http://www.imbacanada.com/tcc. The biggest problem with getting a group together to maintain trail is to have clear instructions and teaching the correct way to take care of the trail-it's not all obvious.

By the way, i took a rider out to Tokai yesterday and it was great to see the work done on Faery garden and other trails. Good job!

I've been trying to work out a way of getting over fences on the trails I've been putting in. I decided to make a feature of the crossing, and as the trails are on a working farm, they must be stock proof, this is also a reason that gates are out of the question, they have been left open in the past. I came up with this idea, note that this is still a rough build, and that decent lumber will be put in as soon as a sponsor is found. Do you think that people would be happy crossing this;

post-2975-0-78823100-1309351475.jpg

edit mostly raw wattle, the cross-members are split.

Edited by deanbean