How many of you commute on a SS?

TheSlowCyclist

70 members have voted

1. 1. SS or Geared?

• Gears
    • Single Speed
    • Fixie

How many of you guys commute through winter? I ride from Lonehill to Midrand and doing it in the dark makes me very nervous....I'm waiting for the 6h30 sunrise....

Bud.... up there you have all the reason in da world to be nervous....

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doing the Melkbos - Cpt trip on a stripped Giant Escape. Hardly slower than when it still had gears on.

...mmmmm very scenic route if I may add

...mmmmm very scenic route if I may add

Zebra ... what time do you ride .. I am on a sand coloured On-ONe SS and ride from Sunningdale to CT

• 3 weeks later...

Dude thats not far , got mate who also comutes from Alberton to Edenvale .just make a plan and do it , my life will not be the same without my commutes i unload on stress in the fternoons and gearup for the day in the mornings.

I need to know this route, i would love to commute from Alberton to Edenvale!

The wife commutes on a SS. Well, we have just converted the commuter to SS so she has done it once last Friday.

If I didn't work from home I would ride a SS to work.

Random question - those of you who commute, do you have clothes to change into when you get to to work? Surely you work up a sweat on the way to work. How do you handle that?

Zebra ... what time do you ride .. I am on a sand coloured On-ONe SS and ride from Sunningdale to CT

I leave Melkbos around 6:50...ish...normally at Blowfish around 7:20...The ss is rocking a new chain, so hopefully no more chainbreaks!

Random question - those of you who commute, do you have clothes to change into when you get to to work? Surely you work up a sweat on the way to work. How do you handle that?

Yebo. When I used to commute I would take the car once a week on my rest day with all clothes for the week.

I leave Melkbos around 6:50...ish...normally at Blowfish around 7:20...The ss is rocking a new chain, so hopefully no more chainbreaks!

We leave from the Bayside lights at 6:40, so I am just missing you then.

Could you drop me an email on hairylegs.mtb@gmail.com and then on a day I leave later I can contact you for a commute in.

Back Pack with the days clothing, shoes, bike spares and if the wife loves me lunch.

I leave my towel at work on the server room during the week and replace this on a regular basis.

The bike parks behind my desk :)

Don't shower, use toilet spray.

Jokes, take pants, a fresh shirt, underwear and socks every day. Leave my towel hung up in the cleaners room at the gym. Have some shoes at work.

Luckily we have a gym at our work so I can shower there, use a locker etc.

• 2 weeks later...

a question to all single speed commuters. I am starting to commute next month. Its not far about 9km( http://www.bbbike.org/Johannesburg/?startname=Heidi+Avenue&startc=27.94124%2C-26.16386&zielname=Bunting+Road&zielc=28.01194%2C-26.18705&pref_seen=1&pref_speed=20&pref_cat=&pref_quality=&pref_specialvehicle=&pref_unlit=NL&scope= ) and I think maintenance wise single speed would be best. So my question is what gear ratio would be best as I am new to this

Ride a 1988 Cannondle Criterium series "Black Lightning" Single chainring, 6 speed.

Love riding to work, save loads on fuel bills :)

My area too hilly for SS

Just waiting for the sun to come up a bit earlier then it is the SS all the way...........

What ! i have been riding commuting right through winter , in jhb we dont have the Ca rain so take advantage , start now dude .

Archived