Plugs!

Arkadion

Okay, so many of us running UST tires have probably had to put a plug in at some point, I'd just like to know what your experience has taught you about this sometimes tricky procedure.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of info online about this!

So this weekend we decided to hit the Spruit again, and without fail, every time we do, someone has a technical fail, this time it was my turn :P

I managed to get a snakebite in my UST tire ages ago at MTN cycle park, so I have a hole in the sidewall very close to the rim.

I plugged it with a worm which lasted months and then decided to give the tire a once over before the Clarens race, but due to it not holding after many attempts,

I ended up switching tires for the day.

Now not wanting to waste the tread on my old tire I put it back on recently without much luck at keeping it inflated!

I had to replace worms/plugs 4x on our Spruit ride. Using the suggested method, thread the plug half way through the needle tool they provide,

insert until the 2 "tails" are sticking out a few cm's, squeeze the tire and remove the needle tool, twist the tails with fingers, then inflate with pump.

This lasted 30 mins or less. On the third try, I tried to twist the plug on the inside with the tool instead of outside with my hands, this seemed to

work a bit better but on the 4th try I perfected the style a little better, and instead of inflating with pump, I used a bomb. My first thought was that

the bomb was going to force the plug out before it could take hold but the plug actually seemed to hold better than slowly slip out like it did with

the pump. I'm guessing it got squished against wall due to sudden pressure.

Anyone else have similar experiences or better methods at handling the plug situation? :)

Good topic this - and sincerely wish I could contribute!

I've only had to use a plug once, mid-way through last year... Still going strong, so I clearly did something right! :P

Only problem is, I cannot for the life of me remember what I did!

Let's hope this generates some Hub input...

Where is the experts on this? Got a sneaky feeling I might have to do it sometime this winter, so some knowledge beforehand will go a long way to prevent frustration.

Did you use patch glue with the plug?

I always put patch glue on the plug then push it in, leave for a minute, then inflate.

Works for me.

There is really nothing to it, just put the plug in your plug tool, push it in to the tyre so that there is only a small piece of the plug on the outside, then just pull the plug tool out of the tyre, easy.

I never had to use glue, or the hole cleaner thingy that you get with some sets

And this is all done while there are still air in the tyre. Air or no air is still the same.

Edited by koukie

There is really nothing to it, just put the plug in your plug tool, push it in to the tyre so that there is only a small piece of the plug on the outside, then just pull the plug tool out of the tyre, easy.

I never had to use glue, or the hole cleaner thingy that you get with some sets

And this is all done while there are still air in the tyre. Air or no air is still the same.

Egszackerly.....and add snot if needed and bomb the swine.Takes no time at all and is no fuss.

Okay, so many of us running UST tires have probably had to put a plug in at some point, I'd just like to know what your experience has taught you about this sometimes tricky procedure.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of info online about this!

So this weekend we decided to hit the Spruit again, and without fail, every time we do, someone has a technical fail, this time it was my turn :P

I managed to get a snakebite in my UST tire ages ago at MTN cycle park, so I have a hole in the sidewall very close to the rim.

I plugged it with a worm which lasted months and then decided to give the tire a once over before the Clarens race, but due to it not holding after many attempts,

I ended up switching tires for the day.

Now not wanting to waste the tread on my old tire I put it back on recently without much luck at keeping it inflated!

I had to replace worms/plugs 4x on our Spruit ride. Using the suggested method, thread the plug half way through the needle tool they provide,

insert until the 2 "tails" are sticking out a few cm's, squeeze the tire and remove the needle tool, twist the tails with fingers, then inflate with pump.

This lasted 30 mins or less. On the third try, I tried to twist the plug on the inside with the tool instead of outside with my hands, this seemed to

work a bit better but on the 4th try I perfected the style a little better, and instead of inflating with pump, I used a bomb. My first thought was that

the bomb was going to force the plug out before it could take hold but the plug actually seemed to hold better than slowly slip out like it did with

the pump. I'm guessing it got squished against wall due to sudden pressure.

Anyone else have similar experiences or better methods at handling the plug situation? :)

Why dont you fix the tyre and then you wont have any issues with the plug ?

Take dental floss and a sewing needle, sew the hole closed. Depending size of hole you can stick a patch on the inside of the tyre otherwise sealant should do the job if the hole was small

I think the size of the plug you use makes quite a big difference. I initially used the very small ones made by Genuine Innovations (about as long and thin as a match) and they never worked, especially for small cuts made by glass as the edges of the cuts are so smooth. Anyway, I just gave up on them and settled for using a tyre boot if ever the hole/cut was too big for the sealant to seal.

This weekend though I got a decent sized cut that managed to vent all my sealant, mostly into my face! My mate stops behind me whilst I'm frantically spinning the wheel in the futile hope it will seal - and getting even more sealant on my face in the process - and whips out hit little plug (erm.. bad choice of wording, but oh well) and screwdriver-thingy set. 1 bomb (I figured no harm in using one seeing as there was no sealant left) and 30seconds later and we were riding again.

His plugs were much bigger - about 4mm diameter - and worked like a charm. You can get at any bike shop I'm sure - I bought some at Solomons in Woodmead and its R39 for a pack of 10 complete with the tool. Refill packs (i.e. sans tool) are between R20 and R30 (also for 10) depending where you go. You get longer ones, but you would then need to cut them in half before you use them else the "tails" would be a bit long on your tyre.

Hope that helped....

Thanks guys, sounds pretty straight forward. As a matter of fact, exactly the same procedure we used to plug holes in the quadbike tyres.

Plugs often don't work well on a sidewall cut. The sidewall also flexes a lot which is why is might not hold. Go to a motor bike repair shop and have them fit a decent patch on the inside of the tyre.

Good topic this - and sincerely wish I could contribute!

I've only had to use a plug once, mid-way through last year... Still going strong, so I clearly did something right! :P

Only problem is, I cannot for the life of me remember what I did!

Let's hope this generates some Hub input...

I've not had to do this yet, so yeah good thread. Its something I panic about :lol: Ive seen it being done loads. Each person had their own method.

1. Pre-pepare the tool before the ride/race: Insert 2 small "snot stokkies" (tubeless plugs) into the plug tool by feeding it from one side through the eye. The eye should be in the centre of the plugs. Then re-stick the preservation plastic and backing over the plugs to keep it from drying out. It can now be used straight away when you get a puncture.

2. When you detect a puncture that does not seal up, hold your finger on the hole to prevent further deflation (very hard to insert the plugs into a flat tyre) while getting the tool from your bag of tricks (this is where a buddy comes in more usefull than fresh batteries for your PVR remote).

3. Remove the covers from the plugs and insert the tool through the hole taking care to leave about 5mm of plug outside the tyre. Now twist the tool a number of times taking care that the plugs do not pull into the tyre further. Now simply pull out the tool and inflate the tyre to required pressure.

4. Note that although plugs may hold for the entire life of the tyre, it is only a temporary measure and almost certainly will always have a bit of a leak. For a permanent fix, get tubeless patches (for some reason, these do not take to Specialized tyres in my experience).

Agree with Muppets. I punctured on the back in the side wall at the Attakwas with a 29" Race King. Some sharp rock must have ripped it. When I stopped and attempted to plug the hole with my little plug, it just popped out when bombing. Then another guy on a 29" punctured. He got out one of those enormous 4mm plugs, stuffed it in, and that was it. I taped the tyre around the rim to protect the sidewall and finished with no more hassle. In turn for the assistance I swopped the 29" tube with slime that I carried on board. Luckily I never missed it. Still riding the same tyre.

Edited by Kletterer

Been through Botswana where I learned to plug like a mofo. At times my tyre had more thorns than rubber.

Keep on plugging the same hole untill its sealed. In other words, use more than 1 plug per hole. If the hole is more of a cut than a large hole this will probably not work.

What stops the plug from coming out when you pull the tool out?

Is there a specific technique when pulling the tool out?

EDIT: See knobbymech's post above...

Edited by SwissVan