Formula 1...

'Dale

Thanks Dracs - I was about to question this anti-Prost sentiment as well... I did not like him at the time, but could appreciate his qualities. Think Senna learnt a lot from him. But then, what Senna had, could not be learnt.

BTW, I seem to remember (but me remembering that far back is dicey...) that in Prost's first season he also did not participate in all the races.

I also don't know whether I'd venture as far as putting Vettel (which is where this all started) in that category. Maybe this year's RB just simply does not suit him at all and it suits Ricciardo's style. Anybody that can kick the entire grid's azz in the wet on a low downforce track is not an idiot behind the steering wheel, esp that being in a STR. But time will tell.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Dracs - I was about to question this anti-Prost sentiment as well... I did not like him at the time, but could appreciate his qualities. Think Senna learnt a lot from him. But then, what Senna had, could not be learnt.

BTW, I seem to remember (but me remembering that far back is dicey...) that in Prost's first season he also did not participate in all the races.

I also don't know whether I'd venture as far as putting Vettel (which is where this all started) in that category. Maybe this year's RB just simply does not suit him at all and it suits Ricciardo's style. Anybody that can kick the entire grid's azz in the wet on a low downforce track is not an idiot behind the steering wheel, esp that being in a STR. But time will tell.

Well I would certainly never compare Prost and Vettel, other than to say what we know objectively: 

The one competed in an era where the car gave precious little help to the driver (his '93 Williams excluded), and beat (usually) or matched all his team mates (who happened to be multiple world champs and some of the best drivers to have never won world champs).  Other than the Macca Honda in 88 and 89, and the Williams in 93 he did not have the best car on the grid and won in-spite of this.  He certainly in all this time, in some pretty average cars with exceptional teammates, never had a single season where he could not get to grips with a car and was dominated by a team mate...

Vettel on the other hand, showed he can dominate in the best car on the grid with a mediocre team mate.  We also know that in the second best car this year, for whatever reason, he has made it look like a mid field car at best.  That is all we know for know for now - as you say time will tell us a fuller story.

I'll save the Senna Prost debate for another day!  Need to shore up my reserves before I attempt that!  (yes was always and still am a Prost fan, though I believe Senna did indeed have a rare gift).

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Button looking for other work

by Sniff Petrol on Tuesday, October 14th, 2014

http://livesniffpetrol.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Buttonrecruitmentconsultant.jpg

Jenson Button, yesterday

Hopes that Jenson Button would remain in F1 next year are fading fast after the British driver was spotted coming out of a recruitment agency in Frome wearing a borrowed suit.

‘Obviously we can’t discuss specific clients in detail,’ said agency owner Peter Scumm afterwards. ‘However, companies in this area should know we have just signed up a very employable local man who would be ideal for a firm needing a proven finisher. Often in eighth place, but a finisher nonetheless.’

‘This young man was just a shave away from looking very presentable and he had an excellent CV,’ Mr Scumm continued. ‘It clearly presented his achievements such as ‘completed ironman contest’,‘attractive girlfriend’ and ‘2009 Formula 1 World Champion’, and it concisely listed his personal attributes such as ‘smoothness’, ‘pace’, ‘slightly phlegmy voice’ and ‘gets a bit panicky when things don’t go right’. We should have no trouble at all finding him casual admin work at a shipping company or charterer surveyor’s office.’

Mr Scumm admitted that this is not the first time someone with a motorsport background had signed up with his agency. ‘There’s a chap who comes in here at the end of every F1 season and says he’ll probably need work soon,’ Scumm confided. ‘Then to everyone’s amazement he rings back and says actually he’s managed to stick with his current job even though he’s pretty hopeless at it. I forget his name. Felipe something or other…’

McLaren apologises to drivers

Posted in MotorsportNews by Sniff Petrol on Monday, October 13th, 2014

http://livesniffpetrol.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/MacLarenbuggy.jpg

A McLaren, yesterday

[picture editor to my office please]

Following this weekend’s Russian Grand Prix, McLaren has apologised to drivers Jenson Button and Ken Magnussen for the amount of pace their car displayed.

‘We have launched an immediate investigation into what on earth went on in Sochi,’ said a team insider. ‘The car was going ridiculously fast in a straight line and flying around corners like a maniac. We don’t know how it happened but it’s simply not acceptable.’

The team is said to be particularly concerned that this sudden increase in pace saw Button briefly occupying third place during the race. ‘My God, what if he’d have ended up on the poddyerm. Is that how it’s pronounced? No on here seems to know,’ our mole continued. ‘I mean, he could have been hit in the face by a flying cork or slipped on some spilt Champagne. That’s not a situation we want to put our drivers in, and thankfully we usually don’t.’

Our man says the team shifted to a new strategy to ensure Button moved down the field and the crew was fully prepared to perform a special ‘clown spec’ pit stop of the sort it used to give Lewis Hamilton in 2012, though in the end this wasn’t necessary.

‘Thankfully Jenson managed to get to the safety of fourth,’ our insider explained. ‘I mean, it’s not the eighth he’d usually aim for but we’re happy with the result, given the failings of a car that was obviously too fast.’

Our source revealed that Ron Dennis has called an urgent ‘situational assessment and parameter realignment assembly’ in the McLaren Technology Centre’s ‘human collective interface facilitation chamber’. ‘It’s happening on Tuesday morning,’ admitted our man. ‘So we’ve got 24 hours to work out what at least some of those words mean.’

Where do you guys think Alonso is heading. So many rumours, we can only guess. I heard him saying that he wont be driving a Mercedes powered car in 2015. 

Where do you guys think Alonso is heading. So many rumours, we can only guess. I heard him saying that he wont be driving a Mercedes powered car in 2015. 

I'll  be very surprised if he's not in a McHonda.

My second guess will be sabbatical. 

I'll  be very surprised if he's not in a McHonda.

My second guess will be sabbatical. 

My guess would be Honda aswell. Second guess, Ferrari are going to boot Kimi, like in the past, and Alonso and Vettel at Ferrari. :lol:

Edited by Johny Bravo

Alonso is essentially a paying driver. Santander pays 50 million to have him in a car. That sponsorship follows him. I'm sure most teams would like that cash injection and the services of someone of his ability.

Prost: must admit it was a bit of a slinger from my side. Have never been a fan, but the man was talented. Didn't realize the extent to which he beat some of those guys.

I also wouln't add Vettel, or Montoya to the list. Button, yes, Maldonado, Barrichello, Massa...

Alonso is essentially a paying driver. Santander pays 50 million to have him in a car. That sponsorship follows him. I'm sure most teams would like that cash injection and the services of someone of his ability.

Santander would follow him eventually, BUT a) they're signed to Ferrari and b) the fellow at the top who was the big Alonso and F1 fan passed away earlier this year. Who knows what the next big chief will do with that money. 

It is rumored that MoviStar has agreed to sponsor wherever Alonso would go to. McL is in desperate need of some sponsors...

Alonso has indeed come out to say he won't be driving a Merc powered car next year and also that the Ferrari split rumors is just that...rumors. 

M. Night Shyamalan can't write a silly season like this one....

Hmmm... this is interesting from an article by James Allen. My take - maybe Vettel's desire to leave for Ferrari may shed a light on his lack of performance of this season? If Ferrari was his ultimate wish and he wanted to get into a Ferrari seat before his contract runs out (maybe also already knowing Alonso is in fact leaving), this may just have been his way of ensuring he can go without any contractual issues.

Alonso was slightly wrong footed by Ferrari’s swoop for Vettel, who used a get out clause in his contract after September 30th, as he was not in the top three in the Drivers’ Standings at that point.

LdM confirmed in an interview that Alonso is leaving. That leaves McLaren Honda or fishing with Ross Brawn...

Hmmm... this is interesting from an article by James Allen. My take - maybe Vettel's desire to leave for Ferrari may shed a light on his lack of performance of this season? If Ferrari was his ultimate wish and he wanted to get into a Ferrari seat before his contract runs out (maybe also already knowing Alonso is in fact leaving), this may just have been his way of ensuring he can go without any contractual issues.

Alonso was slightly wrong footed by Ferrari’s swoop for Vettel, who used a get out clause in his contract after September 30th, as he was not in the top three in the Drivers’ Standings at that point.

I don't want to say it's true, but I hear an awful lot of twilight zone music in my ears at the moment. 

That said - Renault's performance in the first half of the year kinda made this scenario pre-determined, especially when the "problems" with Vettel's car came through. Plus - the deliberate non performance would seriously hurt his career prospects.