CO2 Bombs dry up sealant

Nic0000

So a friend of mine (Chemical Engineer)told me how using CO2 bombs dry up the sealant in your tires...

Not really believing this I went and asked the guys at my LBS. "No thats absurd" was the response!

So, much to my surprise, while I was undoing some of the sh&% work done by another store on my UST conversion,I noticed all the sealant in the tire had dried up! So I went back to the first tire I had just redone (I had bombed it 5 mins ago) and about 70% of the sealant in there had also dried!

I've seen this now with two different brands: Sludge and Zero Flats.

Has anyone else had this issue? Seems a massive fail. Esp if you need to bomb your tire on a ride and then get a second puncture...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyecandy

Mine dried up too....

Never use a bomb, only in emergencies!

I had to use two bombs on Imana last year, the tyre was cut, not punctured so the plug didn't work properly, and the Stans was still OK a week later when I took my bike apart to clean it. Seems some sealants are affected by the CO2.

In the course of time, all sealants will dry up. Air inside the tyre plus heat from sunlight are the main culprits. If you store your bike in a cool place when not riding it, sealant should last months. If you park your bike outside in the sun the whole day then you probably won't even get a few weeks out of it. When you ride and the wheel is spinning, its all good though.

In the course of time, all sealants will dry up. Air inside the tyre plus heat from sunlight are the main culprits. If you store your bike in a cool place when not riding it, sealant should last months. If you park your bike outside in the sun the whole day then you probably won't even get a few weeks out of it. When you ride and the wheel is spinning, its all good though.

Makes sense, but again, the Ryder sealant has been in my tyres for nigh on 18 months (never knew you had to change it :o ) and it still sealed holes this weekend. But then again, I do park it inside :thumbup: I will change the sealant soon, but in my case it means losing two tubes as well, I have not gone tubeless yet.

I am no argueing, just stating my case of pure dumb luck :blush:

Edited by DaLoCo

Makes sense, but again, the Ryder sealant has been in my tyres for nigh on 18 months (never knew you had to change it :o ) and it still sealed holes this weekend. But then again, I do park it inside :thumbup: I will change the sealant soon, but in my case it means losing two tubes as well, I have not gone tubeless yet.

I am no argueing, just stating my case of pure dumb luck :blush:

Ja that Ryder goop is allot thicker than modern sealants (if I'm thinking of the right stuff), and doesn't contain latex (liquid rubber), so I doubt whether it can even go hard to begin with. I've still got tubes hanging in my dad's garage that still has very usable Slime in them, and its been hanging there almost 8 years.

Ja that Ryder goop is allot thicker than modern sealants (if I'm thinking of the right stuff), and doesn't contain latex (liquid rubber), so I doubt whether it can even go hard to begin with. I've still got tubes hanging in my dad's garage that still has very usable Slime in them, and its been hanging there almost 8 years.

I use Slime, in tubes, and have never had it turn into rubber balls, even with bombs. It also washes off with water and is non-toxic.

They say it is good for 2 years.

Does your sealant contain latex?

I use Slime, in tubes, and have never had it turn into rubber balls, even with bombs. It also washes off with water and is non-toxic.

They say it is good for 2 years.

Does your sealant contain latex?

Slime and those kind of "in tube" sealants should just about never solidify. I did use one pink one years ago that was the worst crap I ever had. Just about turned into glue.

Yeah it does, just about all modern tubeless sealants use latex.

So a friend of mine (Chemical Engineer)told me how using CO2 bombs dry up the sealant in your tires...

Not really believing this I went and asked the guys at my LBS. "No thats absurd" was the response!

So, much to my surprise, while I was undoing some of the sh&% work done by another store on my UST conversion,I noticed all the sealant in the tire had dried up! So I went back to the first tire I had just redone (I had bombed it 5 mins ago) and about 70% of the sealant in there had also dried!

I've seen this now with two different brands: Sludge and Zero Flats.

Has anyone else had this issue? Seems a massive fail. Esp if you need to bomb your tire on a ride and then get a second puncture...

Bought some Joes this weekend.

It says on the bottle "Do not use C02 to inflate"

It is pretty similar to Stans what it is, so I would rather give it a skip then.

I might be wrong on this. I also use Joes. Used a CO2 once or twice but I did not have the problem. My Question is... Isn't it more the case that the CO2 freeze the sealant and not dry it up? We all know that because of the high pressure in that cartridge, the gas freezes as soon as it escapes. Like I said. Used it once or twice but still had enough sealant left afterwords. But I would also recommend using a pump.

I might be wrong on this. I also use Joes. Used a CO2 once or twice but I did not have the problem. My Question is... Isn't it more the case that the CO2 freeze the sealant and not dry it up? We all know that because of the high pressure in that cartridge, the gas freezes as soon as it escapes. Like I said. Used it once or twice but still had enough sealant left afterwords. But I would also recommend using a pump.

I wonder what will make it dry up quicker.

An environment full of C02 or in normal air where it is 80% nitrogen.

I wonder what will make it dry up quicker.

An environment full of C02 or in normal air where it is 80% nitrogen.

As far as I know CO2 is less dense thn air and permeates thru the tyre and has to be topped up by air anyway

I have never had a problem

I dont even carry a pump for the last 3 years

Do the original conversion with a compressor. Use a CO2 bomb on the trail. UST is designed to be run without slime so even if it dries up it should get you home. Oh, and carry a spare tube and a pump if you can't call someone to pick you up.

I only use bombs for emergencies and to inflate a new tyre and have not had a problem with my stans drying. What I have found is that on 2 occassions my valves have started leaking after using bombs.