Motorists Using Cellphones

Wedge

Last night on our trip out. A friend and I almost got hurt really badly.

Our ride went along Kragga Kamma Road towards Seaview. Now for those of you who are not familiar with PE, its a section of road going out of town that's fairly quiet. As a bonus it has a 3m piece of gravel next to the road for the MTB'ers to utilize. :clap:

Anyway, we we're cycling on this gravel shoulder when about 50m in front of us a Lady on her cellphone, heading towards us did not see that the road makes a fair bend to the right. Within a split second her two passenger side wheels where on the gravel. She then violently yanked the car to the right shooting over to the other lane just missing us by a few meters. In this process she almost eliminated a Golf 4 travelling in the same direction as us.

I'm sure if it wasn't a newer BMW with all its traction control devices we would have been in a lot of trouble.

She promptly stopped on the side of the road. We wanted to head back and ask her WTH she was thinking, but the driver of the Golf 4 beat us to it. He made a u-turn, California Highway Patrol style, and was giving her hell by the time we got there, so we just left her be.

It was quite an unnerving experience, I think I'll stick to single track from now on... :blink:

So be careful on the roads guys, it can happen so quickly. :thumbup:

Edited by Wedge

There should be very strict penalties for driving and using your phone (even hands free are distracting).

Lose your phone, licence for a period of time and be fined...

And no, before I get asked, I do not use a phone or handsfree while driving. It can ring away till I can park the car, I normally turn the phone offline when driving, the call can go straight to voicemail.

Even worse are the tjops who SMS while driving!

apparently cellphone texting is the big problem. It causes by far the most accidents.

Yup, when talking on the phone, you can still at least look in the road and see what is up ahead.

But when texting, both eyes are focused on the phone and normally below dashboard level, you cant see nothing .... or so I have been told.

What irritates me the most, is when someone takes a call and slows down to like 80km/h in the fast lane!

I feel like getting next to him/her in the left hand lane each time and swerve quickly into his/her direction!

I think that on a bicycle it is easier to notice people texting. I had a similar experience to Wedge a week ago. Driver in a Corsa nearly took me out twice whilst texting on his phone. The problem is the blatant lawless attitude of South African society. And the explosion of Blackberries are making the urge for drivers to text and drive worse.

I ride a motorcycle to work everyday. What I would like to do is attach a camera to my helmet and take a video to show all of what I see and am exposed to on a daily basis. You will be shocked. Motorcycling and cycling is a very risky business.

Edited by Seeker911

I don't know what in the world can be that important that you can not wait till you get home or to the office before you take the call/message. I don't even carry my phone on me when I'm driving to and from work.

I don't know what in the world can be that important that you can not wait till you get home or to the office before you take the call/message. I don't even carry my phone on me when I'm driving to and from work.

A lot of things are THAT important but for us that work solely to try and make as much money as possible a missed call could mean millions . My phone goes with me everywhere .

A couple of weeks ago i saw a gut driving his bakkie. Cellphone in one hand cigarette in other hand and he was steering using his legs!!!!

That's why i stick to gravel when i cycle.

Being a motorcyclist i have had my fair share of incidences where people talking on their phones just don't see you. I agree that penalties should be harsher...much harsher

apparently cellphone texting is the big problem. It causes by far the most accidents.

There was a recent study that says it's more dangerous than drunk driving.

Was watching a show the other night that said even using a hands free kit reduces your concentration by half.

A lot of things are THAT important but for us that work solely to try and make as much money as possible a missed call could mean millions . My phone goes with me everywhere .

Millions you say. And if it a wrong number?

Was watching a show the other night that said even using a hands free kit reduces your concentration by half.

And smoking. Have you seen how people try to tap the ash off the end of a cigi through a gap in the window the width of a match box.

nothing bugs me more than being on some great single track and you get a slow rider upfront talking on his cellphone. Thats when you miss a pump. I mean how many mtn bikers use lipstick and eyeliner .....

Good you are both ok.

That is a dangerous piece of road though and i have had a few close shaves with cars towing horse trailers and Stu Davidson trucks.