What Brakes does Kevin Evans Use?

levett

Saving 100g on something like a brake system by going for super-light rotors is just plain stupid, IMHO.

(I'm not saying he used super-light rotors, because I don't know... I'm saying because it's an underlying question).

I guess this raises a question: Will we ever start seeing an enforcement of minimum MTB race bike weights?

All everyone (most, to be fair) in this cycling world ever chase after is weight. We're asking the wrong questions. Why don't we ask "How strong is it?" when buying something, instead of "How much does it weigh?"

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Flying down the mountain at 60 odd km/h trying to sty on track, dodging rocks, trees, holes and what not...

You would not be able to get you foot lifted that far back....

only time that you will come close to that, is when you feet are touching your arse while doing summersults after crashing :(

Yeah, and Kev's not exactly an inexperienced rider with crappy technical skills. I'm pretty sure his crash was as unavoidable as it could be.

Edited by Martin Hattingh

Can anyone get hold of Kevin and ask him directly?

If not him, then someone in the know...

(Kevin is still in hospital bonding with his new Ti hardware)

Either way it should not have happened. All these top mechanics etc etc. still you have a problem. Surley they test for these sorts of issues before a race?

Saving 100g on something like a brake system by going for super-light rotors is just plain stupid, IMHO.

(I'm not saying he used super-light rotors, because I don't know... I'm saying because it's an underlying question).

I guess this raises a question: Will we ever start seeing an enforcement of minimum MTB race bike weights?

All everyone (most, to be fair) in this cycling world ever chase after is weight. We're asking the wrong questions. Why don't we ask "How strong is it?" when buying something, instead of "How much does it weigh?"

I guess in KE case you dont hear of breaks fading or rotors breaking often so the weight saving was worth it, I am sure he tested extensivly in his training and decided it was a safe bet, but the Epic has other plans.

I wouldve used my one foot pushed on the top of my back wheel to slow it down, i mean rather a worn shoe than a broken collar bone....just my opinion :)

did exactly that during the Barberton race last year, messed up my shoe very badly (heat build up was insane, almost burned my foot)... also used the foot on the ground method to slow me down a bit...

Yep bigger rotor works especially up front and I have also stopped and cooled them with my water bottel but this is unlikely to happen in a race of this kind. These guys go as small as 140mm up front. possibly a rece of that stage before would have shown him to put bigger rotors on for that stage.

It was not brake failure, but rotor failure accrding to Scott.

How would a rotor fail other than to break?

I sent a link to this thread to Brandon Els (aka TheOldCootBiker)from Pro Bike.

Brandon,Dave and a few of the others at Probike are on the Hub every now and then.

These guys go as small as 140mm up front.

At the back yes. I've spoke to many bike shops on how to get a 140 disc on the front and not one could help me, not even Shimano. Only today did I see that there is a way but I would not try it. I doubt these guys will try it either. I think they go for lightweight stuff rather then smaller.

How would a rotor fail other than to break?

I would love to know aswell. But weird things happen, this is Africa afterall :lol:

I've always wondered what the strength comparison is of Centre-lock vs 6-bolt, I find my CL's creak, especially at the back when i first start applying the brakes. What are the chances of a CL rotor slipping / stripping out the splines?

I've always wondered what the strength comparison is of Centre-lock vs 6-bolt, I find my CL's creak, especially at the back when i first start applying the brakes. What are the chances of a CL rotor slipping / stripping out the splines?

a failed design will quickly be addressed by the markets. Since it's still a common option, not much can be wrong with the design of a CL rotor...

Yep bigger rotor works especially up front

I have seen the mountings break on a few forks from riding 180mm rotors and mountings on the frame from riding 203mm rotors.

Bigger isn't always better

a failed design will quickly be addressed by the markets. Since it's still a common option, not much can be wrong with the design of a CL rotor...

I have a 180mm rotor upfront on a fox fork, with 15mm thru axel and I feel 100% safe, if anything I recon it is too much stopping power.

Edited by Lukep