What Brakes does Kevin Evans Use?

levett

Quote from an MTN E-Mail:

'Kevin Evans commented (team 360LIFE): “After the second long climb of the day in Fisantboskloof, with a very steep descent, I realised my brakes weren’t working. I was going way to fast and needed to pick a landing spot. I crashed really hard and knew immediately I was unlikely to get up. We rode to the nearest marshals and they confirmed that I would not be riding again this week. My collar bone was definitely broken.” '

That must have been scary :o :o :o

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was not brake failure, but rotor failure accrding to Scott.

Edited by Mackie

I think he rode the XX world cup edtions.

what causes this is it just a build up of heat? if so then what can one do to reduce heat build up?

I would guess.

1. Ride with a bigger rotor

2. Chose the correct brake pad compound

Lets hear fromt he experts!

I wouldve used my one foot pushed on the top of my back wheel to slow it down, i mean rather a worn shoe than a broken collar bone....just my opinion :)

I wouldve used my one foot pushed on the top of my back wheel to slow it down, i mean rather a worn shoe than a broken collar bone....just my opinion :)

i heard it was a really technical downhill so probably not possible to slow down with the foot.

Or just don't use your brakes, they will stay cool for ages then, for when you really need them? :thumbup:

Unless the rotors Failed - snapped or something, Its the brake system... no reason why rotors would suddenly cause No brakes what so ever.. same thing happened to him in the Grape escape I recon he probably blamed it on air in the system and had it bled, meanwhile it was a faulty brake system..which popped its head out at the wrong time in the epic.

From Brandon Els' Twitter:

'The likely cause of Kev's crash today was his rotor. It was neither SRAM or Shimano. I post this to stop the bs speculation going on! '

http://twitter.com/TheOldCootBiker

So, Million Dollar questions.

What happened/went wrong with whatever rotor he was using?

What rotors was he using?

To continue speculation, DG got a pair of Scrub rotors. I dont know if Kevin was using them yesterday.

For me I would not compromise a system, for example if a break system comes with a set of rotors I would not change the caliper or the rotor, I would also only fit origonal pads.

Where one can save weight is by replacing the entire system or other compnents that operate independantly such as wheels seat posts saddle bars stems etc etc

i had 160mm rotor on my 29er front.... brakes used to fade badly at the bottom of "gravity dice" in Giba (KZN).. i changed front to 185mm avid G3 rotor and massive improvement. 29er's should run 180 + rotor at front... but i know these guys are scared of the extra 40 grams??

Safety notice from Scrub

SCRUB RACEDAY ROTORS

AVAILABILITY AND USAGE NOTES

http://scrubcomponents.com/assets/images/autogen/clearpixel.gif http://scrubcomponents.com/assets/images/autogen/clearpixel.gif

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

http://scrubcomponents.com/assets/images/autogen/clearpixel.gif http://scrubcomponents.com/assets/images/autogen/clearpixel.gif

The Scrub RaceDay model has enjoyed great success since it’s release in Summer 2010 and has proven itself as the leading lightweight rotor option in the world. As with all products that push the envelope, there are always going to be some pros and some cons associated with there use.

We have recently had a couple of failures reported by customers, and take these very seriously. We have evaluated each instance carefully and believe that generally the issues arose under quite extreme conditions that represent less than 3% of the rotors that we currently have in service around the world.

Since our products are a critical safety-related component, we do not take even these unique cases lightly and have decided on the following actions:

• The current RaceDay version will be available in limited supply under the WORLDCUP designation.
  • The RaceDay WORLDCUP 160mm rotor has a total vehicle weight limit (rider, gear, bike) of 195lbs
  • The RaceDay WORLDCUP 140mm rotor has a total vehicle weight limit (rider, gear, bike) of 180lbs
  • A 2nd generation RaceDay rotor with no restrictions is already in process, and will be available soon. Both sizes will have approximately 3.5 grams of additional material to increase strength and heat capacity.

As always, we advise all of our customers to use proper judgment regarding riding weight, expected usage, terrain and braking style to determine what rotor model and size combination is suitable for their application. Nearly every issue that any customer has every brought to our attention is a direct result of undersized rotors, so please choose the correct rotor for your bike and please do not hesitate to call or email us with any questions.

Thank you for your continued support, let’s all get out there and ride!

Flying down the mountain at 60 odd km/h trying to sty on track, dodging rocks, trees, holes and what not...

You would not be able to get you foot lifted that far back....

only time that you will come close to that, is when you feet are touching your arse while doing summersults after crashing :(

Unless the rotors Failed - snapped or something, Its the brake system... no reason why rotors would suddenly cause No brakes what so ever.. same thing happened to him in the Grape escape I recon he probably blamed it on air in the system and had it bled, meanwhile it was a faulty brake system..which popped its head out at the wrong time in the epic.

I agree, it's exactly what I thought. How does a rotor actually fail?