MTB becomes road racing!

Ridemyplanet

I have to ask myself, what's happened to the good old epic where every stage was 100 km's + for a full 8 days.

Friend of mine who rode a 2:48 argus (109km) this year finished yesterdays 107km stage in 7 hours 28 minutes :P

I think they are riding more technical terain as a pose to going further.

The first day was 89km and He rode 6hrs thats a long time for 89km!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Friend of mine who rode a 2:48 argus (109km) this year finished yesterdays 107km stage in 7 hours 28 minutes :P

Roadie :lol: :lol:

There is also a big difference sitting in a bunch protected from all the elements.

I love it when the "fast" roadies realise their TT skills need work.

Edited by Dangle

There is also a big difference sitting in a bunch protected from all the elements.

:P

No no, point is he's actually a mtbiker! did a 3:51 K2C last year, its his 4th epic.. no pro but he can ride.

a roady will really *** off, Point Im trying to make is how tough and technical these epic days actually are.. I meen can you imagine riding 7hours at 105km!!

There is a difference between technical and just going uphill. There is a lot of climbing in this race. It's the only way you actually get to the "mountain" in "mountain biking".

I have to ask myself, what's happened to the good old epic where every stage was 100 km's + for a full 8 days.

It is now called Jhb2C :rolleyes:

Point Im trying to make is how tough and technical these epic days actually are.. I meen can you imagine riding 7hours at 105km!!

If you're going any faster than that then you're not mountain biking, you're just off-roading it...

:lol: yea they are even dressing like roadies now, what happened to the hairy legs and baggy shorts?

Gone are the days of camelbaks and helmet peaks!

And the white shoes and socks .... copy cats!

If you're going any faster than that then you're not mountain biking, you're just off-roading it...

OK, I think you need to get yourself over to an XC race and see how much power and skills these top guys have.

True, did it last year and had done 3 Epics, J2C is as tough and also very enjoyable.

Yellow jerseys, 29 inch wheels, stages etc. Has MTB become road racing? Isn't it just roadies on sand roads?

Mountainbiking will never be road racing. Road has history, tradition and character, though, so one can't blame the mountainbikers for trying to tap into that with the jerseys and stages.

Um, J2c wasn't more than 100km every day... there were quite a few shorter days. Awesome race though

...And when they used to go from one place to another instead of going around in circles.

True - but some hardcore MTB'ers are also riding verrryyy long days this year - Some guys that finish top20 in one day races (on singlespeed bikes) have spent close on 20 hours in the saddle so far!

ME 2!!! :clap:

the best thing i have discovered about MTB in my short few weeks of riding is that you dont get the 'fun riders' who hide in the bunch while you help work in front and then you get to a hill and off they go very chuffed with themselves that they can go up a hill so fast, no such thing as that in MTB :clap: there's no where to hide when there is no tar!! a true test of one's fitness and ability in my opinion!!

Mountainbiking will never be road racing. Road has history, tradition and character, though, so one can't blame the mountainbikers for trying to tap into that with the jerseys and stages.

Between, Keith Bonrager, Gary Fisher ,Mike Sinyard to name a few, there has to be history of some sorts ?

Ned Overend has more tradition in his left pinky than what Contador has in both his Clen infested nuts.

More character in MTB than what road will ever have ,MTB has downhillers, free riders, singlespeeders, XC riders, four cross nuts........

@ Bontie, that's the other B-man :D

@ Bontie, that's the other B-man :D

LOL! I was referring to another master. You're so vain, you probably think this thread is about you... (just teasing, but you can take it, right?) :P

Chap I am talking about finished 18th in Crater Cruise (but his SS is a 26") :P