Challenge Cape Town 2011

MaddyRich

it looks awesome but geez!!! its expensive. if you enter early its R2990! Ironman PE is also about R2000 if you get the spec savers sponsor. So if you travel from gauteng this trip will cost you R3k entry, R2k travel (you + wife), R1k accomodation, R1k car hire, etc. Its a R7k weekend!

Id love to do the ultra tri's but can only afford once in a lifetime. (did ironman once). The organizers are forcing us to stick to running or single discipline races.

I understand all the costs involved (aid stations, traffic officials, medal, shirt, pasta party etc). But surely R2990 is insane!!!?????

Do you agree?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone here signing up for this. I am seriously considering it but I'm a little concerned about the training through winter - and the ice cold / shark infested water ;-) Although I must admit at 2pm last Sunday I was wondering why I do tri at all and swearing to myself no more. Amazing how quickly I forget :-)

Is anyone here signing up for this. I am seriously considering it but I'm a little concerned about the training through winter - and the ice cold / shark infested water ;-) Although I must admit at 2pm last Sunday I was wondering why I do tri at all and swearing to myself no more. Amazing how quickly I forget :-)

Yes, you're right (lol) - last Sunday at around 6 or 7pm I swore I'd never do another IronMan & now I'm thinking I might just do this one...

How quickly you forget the pain & just remember the good feelings of competing & finishing.

I believe the Challenge organisation is second only to Kona so I'm sure they'll have all their ducks in a row when it comes to road closure support & the general vibe etc & I'm glad that Paul Woolf's IM has some competition at last - hopefully he'll think twice about using those idiotic race referees next time as well!

Anyway I think Challenge Cape Town will be at least as tough as Gordons Bay in 2001 but well worth doing.

Isnt the bike route supposed to be kind of flat?

post-4352-0-87910300-1302525686.jpg

Compared to the France-Nice ironman the Cape Town course is flat!

France bike profile:

post-4486-0-53849400-1302871027.jpg

if it wasn't 2 weeks after World Duathlon Champs (provided I qualify) I would be SSSSSOOOOOOOOOO keen, this is going to be an unbelievable race!!

Thanks Tankman,

I am thinking I might have a team going, just need to work out the logistics and finances.

Joobs pm me if you decide to go the team route, I would be keen to do either one of the legs as I won't be able to do all 3, the swim is my stronger leg so if you want to bike we can find a strong runner and win the team event :)

Wowzer, looks like a crazy race!

Do you think the race will have a lot of interest? Just wondering cause I keep screwing up my knee for running and wouldn't know for certain if I could be dumb/crazy enough to enter it until I can start racking up the running miles. And definitely wouldn't want to pay that amount o entry fee for an aquabike event... :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

Difference between this and Ironman PE:

Swim:

IM PE - 2 laps of 1.9km in warm calm water

CTC - 1 lap of 3.8km, cold water and possibly rougher see

Bike:

IM PE - 3 laps of 60km, total ascent over 180km = 1,031m

CTC - 180km around peninsula, total ascent over 180km = 2,601m

Run:

IM PE - 3 laps of 14km, total ascent over 42km = 125m

CTC - 1.5 / 2.5 laps, total ascent over 42km = 598m

Gonna be a tough race especially if the wind also plays its part.

Nice Challenge though. Bring it on! :thumbup:

Difference between this and Ironman PE:

Swim:

IM PE - 2 laps of 1.9km in warm calm water

CTC - 1 lap of 3.8km, cold water and possibly rougher see

Bike:

IM PE - 3 laps of 60km, total ascent over 180km = 1,031m

CTC - 180km around peninsula, total ascent over 180km = 2,601m

Run:

IM PE - 3 laps of 14km, total ascent over 42km = 125m

CTC - 1.5 / 2.5 laps, total ascent over 42km = 598m

Gonna be a tough race especially if the wind also plays its part.

Nice Challenge though. Bring it on! :thumbup:

The swimming, biking, running is at least a known - the wind is the big unknown!

i've almost talked myself into this.

I'm still in two minds. Part of me would relish the challenge (excuse the pun!) part of me thinks I am nuts! My wife keeps telling me to go for it though! 8 days until the price goes up, got some thinking to do.... Maybe I should just bite the bullet....

Just enter and stop squealing.... You can take out insurance for R200 so if you are injured beforehand, you will be refunded. You can also change your entry to team at a later stage. This is gonna be awesome. And remember, finishing this thing is a victory in itself. I did the IM in 2007 in 14 hours. GOnna try for 15 this time around.

This race looks mental. I reckon if you have done a full IM then you should give this a go. I personally want to do a full IM before doing something like this.