Another Bikejacking

pezulu

2 Further blokes got bikejacked this morning.

They were part of the FPC Irene outride, and were close to the R21/Olifantsfontein offramp when it happened.

4 Muggles jumped out of the long grass, armed with pangas, sharpened metal "sword" (sharpened grass slasher), knobkierie and a hammer.

Both riders suffered injuries to their arms, backs, shoulders and heads as a result of this. Fortunately their helmets stayes secured, or they might very well have ended up on their way to the morgue, instead of hospital.

The b@stards managed to get a way with a Merida One Twenty dual suspension bike.

2 Different outride groups were on the same route at the same time. FPC Irene and Epic Sport were in close proximity of each other when the attack occured.

Hope the 2 cyclists recover fully, and that the f****ng b@stards die a slow and painful death.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hectic, hope the buggers get caught and the bike found and returned. There have been quite a few incidents at that spot.

ok, something doesnt make sense here, for I'm not imagining things, the seriousness of the assaults involved are escalating dramatically. That is, the muggers are now using deadly means and attacking increasing numbers, just for a bike? It's almost as if they know that bikers are now prepared to fight back (using non-deadly means i must add), and are thus upping the ante.

Anyone see this pattern or am I still under a rock? (I dont follow mainstream media much via print or the telly).

ok, something doesnt make sense here, for I'm not imagining things, the seriousness of the assaults involved are escalating dramatically. That is, the muggers are now using deadly means and attacking increasing numbers, just for a bike? It's almost as if they know that bikers are now prepared to fight back (using non-deadly means i must add), and are thus upping the ante.

Anyone see this pattern or am I still under a rock? (I dont follow mainstream media much via print or the telly).

You are right it has been getting more deadly over the last 18 months.

Just remember that a guy who highjacks a car gets about R5000 when he delivers it.Instead he can now get a bike worth R40000 and sell it for R15000 on various outlets.

It will get worse when the other criminals catch onto this easy money...and by listening to how many guys are riding with a firearms...it will catch on. :( :o

Some one is buying these bikes..and .they are creating a demand as a result these guys are picking us off one by one to fulfill this demand.....thumbdown.gif

The question is WHO are these buyers and WHO they selling to...??unsure.gif

Some one is buying these bikes..and .they are creating a demand as a result these guys are picking us off one by one to fulfill this demand.....thumbdown.gif

That is the question I would love to have answered, where are they going? It's not like we have thousands of dodgy second hand dealers!

Any one got any ideas?

Can't we set these bastards up with a tracker or something?

Once they realize that there is a tracking system installed on a bike, they will simply strip the bike and remove it.

Tracking systems would need to be small, easily conceilable, and hard to detect.

A bike also does not allow a lot of space to install a tracking system.

The battery in a tracking system would also need to be replaced regularly.

Only suitable place I can think of would be in the seatpost or handlebars.

Even though bikes are expensive, they are not perceived as that by many SAPS officials.

"It is just a bicycle" is often the standard answer, until you tell them the value, and then their eyes bug out of their heads, followed by "eish."

As a young Police Constable in the early 80's, my Station Commander would emphasise the point of relative prices, by asking us this:

"What is worth more to the owner? Philimons' bicycle that he uses daily to commute to work with, and is his only mode of transport, or the insured S500 Merc of Oom Jan the farmer, who still has another car, plus 2 farm bakkies, plus 3 tractors...."

My son was one of the first riders to come apon the poor blokes that had been bikejacked this morning.

If his group had left 10 minutes earlier, it could easily have been him, or one of his group that got attacked.

Like the clowns in Government say, we need 'Impimpis'.

Has anyone ever been offered a bike at random?

I recall a debate a while back where someone mentioned maybe some dubious bike shops are involved in stripping and shipping the bikes.

That is the question I would love to have answered, where are they going? It's not like we have thousands of dodgy second hand dealers!

Any one got any ideas?

Can't we set these bastards up with a tracker or something?

The cops in Holland did this after loads of bikes were being stolen, they fitted a bike with a tracker/gps and left it laying around. The same could be done here but the majority of our cops are fat, lazy and thick so it probabaly won't work, odds are it will be a cop that wogs it anyway!

I see they were given 600 odd cars for patrols, I wonder how many will be 'stolen' or simply vanish!

Edited by Mojoman

Have you seen some of the doggy sales here on the Hub...don't get me wrong but there are a lot of parts for sale and wheels but very few frames.

Then there is ebay and Gumtree

talking about dodgy.

a week ago I got a e-mail from someone telling me he saw that I'm looking for a small scott scale. He said he got one to sell. I asked him to send me pictures and the specs of the bike, I never heard from him again.

This means he was /is on the hub, knowing I'm looking for a scale.

Question: Why did he not send me the info? or did he sell it and do not have a need to send the info to me.

I dunno, but if you offer, at least get back and say its not available anymore, or do he hide something?

i dunno

Have you seen some of the doggy sales here on the Hub...don't get me wrong but there are a lot of parts for sale and wheels but very few frames.

Then there is ebay and Gumtree

Yeah I agree...but the guys taking the bikes are not posting on the sales sites or the hub, so some one is obviously paying them , perhaps even tipping them off on measures we are taking , hence the more violent attacks...those are the guys we must get....If we spot a dodgy sale e.g ..maybe pm the mods get the sellers detail..a long shot I know..rolleyes.gif

I've also seen posts here in the "Stolen" section that state that many of these bikes cross the border into mozambique?!

Ok, so I may be very naive and please don't stone me for stereotyping... but I can't really imagine that Moz has vibrant MTBer scene with many competitive riders on high end bikes...

in my minds eye I see the bikes that cross the border being used as commuters?! And if that is the case then how much are the bike jackers really getting for them?!

This is sounding more like the hijacking of cars in the late nineties when it was at its height. When I was hijacked I was told, when they got the bugger, that it was an "order" and I think this is just what it is with the bikes been stolen. Because of the costs involved with bikes now I would not be surprised if some of the people we ride next to are ordering bikes this way instead of through the bike stores !

About a year ago, when I was at my storage garage I saw a couple of bikes, wrapped in blankets, been loaded into a horse truck trailer. I didnt see how many where loaded and It could have just been someone moving with the same habit of me, I never sell my bikes hence the lock up. When I went for a closer look the truck was closed up. I will keep an eye out to see if I see the trailer there again and see whats really going on !