What happens When you kill a cyclist

Mojoman

A few years ago my sister was killed in a motor accident.

A year or two later the court case was held, the suspect admitted guilt, said he was sorry and was givena R5,000 fine and sent home.

My question to you all is this - What outcome would you like to see? or more succintly put, what punishment would you feel would be enough to help the family get over there loss?

IMHO, i think there is none - no punishment will bring that person back.

I am n ot saying we should all get away with it - far from it, but at the end of the day, no amount of punishment will satisfy grieving families.

Your only hope is that the offending criminal, has a conscience and this eats away at him (although in this story it does not seem likely)

Basically my point is, that situations like this are lose lose.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys all know what I am going to say. I am a vengeful SOB. For society to function properly, punishment for crimes of commission and negligence is absolutely necessary. Even the best of us will find it hard to obey the laws without an external locus of control. I would not put up with any of that.

I must admit that I have very little confidence in SA's justice system. How many other guilty people walk free because of police and procedural incompitence? It's a very scary situation....

Then have even less faith in the UK & USA judicial system if your a cyclist. In both these countries cyclists are just considered cannon fodder for motorists and they get away with it with even a lighter slap on the wrist than our courts dish out.

Its sadly a global problem.

Just to add a different perspective to this. The victim was a white male, the accused a black male. The white male died, the black male walked. All part of the plan. Sorry, call me cynical (or delete my post) but I have seen similar things happen too often with a frightingly consistancy to think it is just coincidinse (sic)

Sorry but I will call you cynical. My sister in laws daughter was killed by a drunk driver, she was the passenger. Another passenger also died. This was the second time this driver killed (3 deaths to his name) - he is white and his victims have all been white.

First offense he got a warning.

This latest offense, he got 2yrs worth of community service. The case was also nearly thrown out of court but my sister in law who is a retired cop used all her knowledge and contacts to keep the case alive.

I think that the police will rater get a plea-bargain than do an in depth investigation for the latter is to much work

Then have even less faith in the UK & USA judicial system if your a cyclist. In both these countries cyclists are just considered cannon fodder for motorists and they get away with it with even a lighter slap on the wrist than our courts dish out.

Its sadly a global problem.

I beg to differ. I have spet time in both these countries and apart from a few small redneck type areas, and the few idiot drivers, cyclists are given a wide berth. In the UK I have ridden where there were no bicycle lanes and the traffic backed up. They will only pass you like they pass a car and not squeeze past you in case get pushed towards the pavement or hard shoulder. The states is very similar - drove down the big sur, possibly one of the nicest routes to cycle in califonia and cyclists were treated with the most respect.

This is not only done because they are normal people but because of the reprocussions from the law and personal litigation if they hit a cyclist. Cyclist are seen as road users and also can get the wrath of the police ;)

I beg to differ. I have spet time in both these countries and apart from a few small redneck type areas, and the few idiot drivers, cyclists are given a wide berth. In the UK I have ridden where there were no bicycle lanes and the traffic backed up. They will only pass you like they pass a car and not squeeze past you in case get pushed towards the pavement or hard shoulder. The states is very similar - drove down the big sur, possibly one of the nicest routes to cycle in califonia and cyclists were treated with the most respect.

This is not only done because they are normal people but because of the reprocussions from the law and personal litigation if they hit a cyclist. Cyclist are seen as road users and also can get the wrath of the police ;)

We are discussing the law and its outcome when deaths happen, not motorist attitude towards cyclists. The internet is full of cases where UK & US cyclists have been mowed down by motorists and the killers just walk away.

My experience in attitude stems from experience and discussions with people there and is due to the law and its effeciency in those countries.

Yes there are cases everywhere to prove both sides of the point. My point is that the laws and its application by the relevant parties in those countries make all more aware. Therefore our law is not been applied to the same extent.

I currently have a friend fighting for his life in ICU where the police have not bothered to even to do an investigation, not even take witness statements or even photographs. Even when other friends arrived at the scene they were ordered by the police not to take pictures for evidence. The law is not been applied due to lack of training/overload/ignorance - pick any one.

anyways - ride safe !

Edited by Klaus

I was appalled, in my opinion they are murderers and common criminals, they dont deserve to be glorified in any book.

i heard (probably the same) interview - but i heard something totally different. my impression was that the underworld where they come from and operate is a fascinating one, and that she was telling the story - not glorifying them. would be an interesting read nevertheless ...

i heard (probably the same) interview - but i heard something totally different. my impression was that the underworld where they come from and operate is a fascinating one, and that she was telling the story - not glorifying them. would be an interesting read nevertheless ...

Yeah, fair enough, we will all interpret it differantly I guess.

Personally I wont buy the book.

• 4 months later...

From Boere Krisis Aksie FB page:

Relatives of a Westville cyclist who was killed in an accident three years ago watched in disbelief as the motorist charged in connection with the crash walked free out of the Durban Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

Cyclist Allan Seager died in... the crash on Masabalala Yengwa (NMR) Avenue in June 2008.

Nkosinathi Buthelezi, 28, of Durban, handed himself over to police three weeks after the accident. He was charged on three occasions with culpable homicide, but the charges were provisionally withdrawn each time because the police investigators had not completed their case docket.

Have just read this: The KwaZulu-Natal acting director of public prosecutions is considering an appeal following the acquittal handed down to a Durban motorist who was charged with the culpable homicide of a cyclist.

Will post a link to the full story.

Have just read this: The KwaZulu-Natal acting director of public prosecutions is considering an appeal following the acquittal handed down to a Durban motorist who was charged with the culpable homicide of a cyclist.

Will post a link to the full story.

Time will tell, a step in the right direction nonetheless.

Just to add a differentracist perspective to this. The victim was a white male, the accused a black male. The white male died, the black male walked. All part of the plan. Sorry, call me cynical (or delete my post) but I have seen similar things happen too often with a frightingly consistancy to think it is just coincidinse (sic)

There, I fixed this for you.