Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

Figuratively speaking I was rushing off, just figuratively speaking......reality is that I am probably only going to be able to do this on Friday (working for a living sometimes really sucks). :rolleyes:

Seriously though, Hellwarp, I cannot begin to explain what this initiative will mean to me personally; I have long thought that having trails in this area would be just perfect; now it's a reality. Great stuff, guys!

now, a big question - will we be allowed to ride these routes at night ?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Annual Permits are R270

For now night rides are not on the cards. Allow us to just get everything up and running an iron out any issues. I'm sure we will look into organised group night rides but we cant do it all until everything works.

Bear in mind that we not dealing with one farm like a Hillcrest or a Meerendal. Here we dealing with over 20 farms. So it makes things a little more complicated.

Edited by Hellwarp

Will wait till their is way more ST. Permits seems a bit pricey R300 for 9months and almost no singletrack. Already have Tygerberg Green membership. Can't see how this trail wil compare with Jonkers/ Contermans / Meerendal / Hillcrest or even Majick.

If we can do nightrides on say Tuesdays, I would probably join.

Tues = Bottelary

Wed = CWC

Thurs = Meerendal

Would be awesome for the Winter.

We can do a Tuesday night ride in Stellenbosch - no permit required.

Check under group rides, Im trying to get something going!

DIS GREAT. Uiteindelik is daar 'n plek lekker naby aan die huis. Dit spaar 'n mens nou baie tyd om na die ander plekke toe te ry. Ek bly letterlik om die draai van Hazendal af. Kan sommer met die fiets van die huis af ry..

Are you going to have a guided ride on Saturday so that newcomers can get to know the routes?

Anyone is welcome to join the Tygerberg club rides on Saturday - see detail below. I will be leading the long ride - make sure you have enough water!!

Grand Opening of the new

Bottelary Hills MTB Trail

Saturday 9th April 2011

This trail is presented to you by the Bottelary Hills Renosterveld Conservancy ( sense a theme here?!? ).

Join us for a guided tour of the new trails.

Meet at 'The Only One' Restaurant at Hartenberg on the Bottelary Rd at 06.45, 07.45 or 08.45 depending on the ride you choose to do.

for a detailed map of how to get there...click on this link...

http://www.wineroute.co.za/images/maps/map_stellenbosch.gif

Riding times are approximate - we will take it easy, wait for backmarkers and for flats to be fixed!

40km (red, yellow and green trails) 1150m ascent, 3.5hrs Start at 07.00

30km (red & yellow/or green trails) 8/900m ascent, 2.5hrs Start at 08.00

(will decide route with the group!)

20km (red route only) 600m climbing, 1.5 hrs Start at 09.00

Devil Thorns around;- DO NOT attempt these trails without tubeless tyres/slimed tubes at the very least! You have been warned :-)

Expected finish time to be 10.30 am for all routes, when we will go for an optional, well-earned breakfast at Hartenberg.

Need numbers for breakfast booking, please advise asap.

send a BLANK email with the subject 'BREAKFAST PLEASE' TO adrian@tygerbergmtb.co.za

All inclusive cooked breakfast coffee and juice is R50. payable on the day.

CLICK HERE to see a map of all the routes, the view is from the Bottelary Road looking South/South East. The pink routes are the entry points to the trails (Hazendal and Hartenberg on the Bottelary Rd side and Middlevlei on the Stellenbosch side).

Permit Fees are R30 per person per day. For Saturday only, your guide will issue the permits. Please note, along with the day permit, you will get a dated wristband, your id for the day.

Liked the trails? Annual permit (bike boards) for April-Dec 2011 will be available after the rides for R270 on the day.

For a list of where to buy permits, trail descriptions, maps and other info, visit;-

www.bottelaryhillsmtb.co.za

working for Renosterveld regeneration.

dirtman. I dont wanne pay R30 first and than R270 afterwards.

Why cant I just pay the R270?

If I came down b'larey, (from the golf course), how far (=- km) before I get to Hartenberg?

dirtman. I dont wanne pay R30 first and than R270 afterwards.

Why cant I just pay the R270?

If I came down b'larey, (from the golf course), how far (=- km) before I get to Hartenberg?

Howzit Popeye I'll arrange to have annual permits available there on Saturday morning. Just bring the exact cash amount as there wont be a cash register for change or credit cards until after 8am.

Its also not an "official" annual permit sales point. But seeing as its a once-off we'll work something out.

Alternatively buy one from one of the annual permit sales points

http://bottelaryhillsmtb.co.za/?page_id=689 before Saturday.

Coming from Brackenfell side its about 8.5km from the Kuilsriver Golf Course entrance.

From Paarl side its 1km from the Devon Valley Golf Course entrance.

Although it is true that there is not much true single track at present, it does not mean that that these trails are all open dirt roads. You will not encounter many bakkies along the trail, but tractors yes. There is a reason for that...

Notice the 'hills' in the trail name? Don't under estimate them!

What goes up must come down. Obviously not down hill style technical or comparable to some of the Jonkershoek single track, but not smooth either. If the fun factor is still not enough, just up your speed :D

There is a lot of potential single track to be built in the area, but single track costs money. The trail needs to be up and running before single track can be built. Waiting until the single track is there before supporting the trail is a bit short sighted (and selfish).

What I am saying is before writing this trail off because there is not enough single track, at least give it a try.

PS Being a local (2 streets from Homer) I know the area well, but was not directly involved with setting any of this up; I am just very excited about the formalising of the access to the area (although I will now have to stick to the marked trails).

Edited by mountain_lion

Just came across this thread (and the original) this morning. When I reached the opening date (this weekend) and the start points (Middelvlei - I live in Onderpapagaaiberg) it felt like Christmas!

So a thanks to all the guys who worked on this and made it happen. Trails right on my doorstep. I know a lot of guys are into single track, and I'm sure it'll come, but for me I love getting in distance and climbs, so I can't wait to check out the route come Saturday.

We've been riding this for a while, now we need to pay.

I think it is pretty much on par with Meerendal, not as if it is the single track haven out there.

Not happy that we need to pay now, but yes, it is another option, and another R300 per year to enjoy MTB'ing.

Although it is true that there is not much true single track at present, it does not mean that that these trails are all open dirt roads. You will not encounter many bakkies along the trail, but tractors yes. There is a reason for that...

Notice the 'hills' in the trail name? Don't under estimate them!

What goes up must come down. Obviously not down hill style technical or comparable to some of the Jonkershoek single track, but not smooth either. If the fun factor is still not enough, just up your speed :D

There is a lot of potential single track to be built in the area, but single track cost money. The trail needs to be up and running before single track can be built. Waiting until the single track is there before supporting the trail is a bit short sited (and selfish).

What I am saying is before writing this trail off because there is not enough single track, at least give it a try.

PS Being a local (2 streets from Homer) I know the area well, but was not directly involved with setting any of this up; I am just very excited about the formalising of the access to the area (although I will now have to stick to the marked trails).

Could not agree more. I am very excited about having this formalised and controlled. As far as i am concerned, I am not too fussed about sticking to the marked trails....at least I won't get lost so often. I have also had a few interesting encounters with some rather large dogs on a couple of the farms. Hopefully sticking the marked trails will minimize these meetings...

And you can compare these trails to Tokai, Eselfontein, Welvanpas, whatever...the Bottelary Hills trails have one quality none of the others have...not one of the other trails are right on my doorstep.

OK, so now I am REALLY going to go buy my permits at Flandria. See you on the trails on Saturday!

Edited by HomerSimpson

We've been riding this for a while, now we need to pay.

I think it is pretty much on par with Meerendal, not as if it is the single track haven out there.

Not happy that we need to pay now, but yes, it is another option, and another R300 per year to enjoy MTB'ing.

Complaining because you have to pay to ride on land where you were trespassing in the past? :thumbdown:

The alternative is a locked gate with this sign...

http://www.stickershok.com/GRAPHICS/MINISTK/2900/2903.GIF

Complaining because you have to pay to ride on land where you were trespassing in the past? :thumbdown:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I did have a chat to Hellwarp and he did explain the situation, which I do understand, so not at all trying to pick a fight.

Mountain Lion, believe me, if we new we were trespassing we wouldn't ride there, we are not looking for trouble, so see it from that perspective.

It's just, everyweher youw ant to ride nowadays you need a permit and it alle adds up for the year, that is all, PPA, Tygeberg MTB Club, Contermans, Jonkerhoek..... you get my drift.

Anyway, we'll buy permits and ride, not looking to trespass at all.