Online Bike Shops - discussions and recommendations

riaanb

Online Bike store rating  

301 members have voted

1. 1. The best all-round online store - pricing, service, range, shipping etc is?

• Chain Reaction Cycles
    • Evans Cycles
    • UK Bike Store
    • Wiggle
    • Pro Bike Kit
    • Parker International
    • Total Cycling
    • Other - Please specify
    • Buycycle.co.za
    • CWC Online

OP

How about expanding this to list the international one's as a vote and the local as a second vote.

G

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CRC and EVANS.

From my experience.

Evans cheaper but do not have a range like CRC.

Evans at times show items in stock but it is not. And you only find out a day after you paid for said item.

CRC only sells items they have it stock and will ship goods off the next day. If the item is not in stock it will show up as "due in stock at said date". note that your entire order will only ship once the "due in stock" item has arrived.

You can make multiple individual purchases on CRC in one day for example you get 20 off every 200 spent. You can make several 200 purchases with no issue.

You Can not do the same on Evans cycles, They will charge your credit card and then refund you immediately "security". You lose money this way but they are willing to refund you if email them your credit card statement. Shlep!!

From my experience the most transactions you can make with your credit card on Evans is 3 per day.

Evans Shipping is quick if the item is in stock, they always use DHL when you spend a K or more. But DHL also charges 5 times more for clearance than SAPO. Even with DHL, once the goods get here there is always a delay. You have to email DHL your ID number and wait for them to mail you the proforma invoice, you then do an EFT and wait for your goods to arrive.

CRC use Royal mail

All in all, I would go with CRC because when an item appears as "in stock" it actually is.

Edited by YUMEYA

I'm new and dumb when it comes to ordering bicycle stuff overseas. What will the total costs be (duty costs and everything included) when I order this wheelset from CRC? I see the delivery is for free so got that covered.

http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=85169

If they use DHL. Expect to pay R100 clearance Fee plus 15% of the goods Value for VAT.

SAPO no more than R30.00 plus 15% Vat.

The above is for bike components only.

Full bikes = Duties

Clothing = Duties

Edited by YUMEYA

If they use DHL. Expect to pay R100 clearance Fee plus 15% of the goods Value for VAT.

SAPO no more than R30.00 plus 15% Vat.

The above is for bike components only.

Full bikes = Duties

Clothing = Duties

Thanks man, much appreciated :thumbup:

I spend a lot of time in Europe [where I don't have to worry about postage to SA] so I have no experience of their shipping issues to SA, but my best sites [in Europe] are:

1/ roseversand.com [German] or rosebikes.co.uk [England] These guys have a catalogue like a telephone directory.

2/ Planet-x-bikes.co.uk [now linked with on-one.co.uk] They claim free postage to all over the world. They are very good and well priced. If I order items, they are delivered to me [in London] the next morning.

For the single-speeders: charliethebikemonger.com A very amusing site, and again very good service.

CRC also do brilliantly, especially when they have clearances, but ensure you know exactly what you are purchasing [use part numbers to check, don't always rely on pictues on the site]

gbcycles.co.uk [Geoffrey Butler] for the upper end of the road bike market, and campagnolo.

Other interesting sites to wet your appetite [ and plan an overseas holiday] are:

decathlon.co.uk [huge warehouse shops for ALL sports, and very cheap for good quality clothes/sports stuff/bicyles plus components]

ribblecycles.co.uk

wiggle.co.uk

jejamescycles.co.uk

edinburghbicycles.com

salden.nl [shop in south of Netherlands]

mammoet.nl [The Hague]

evanscycles.com

cyclesurgery.com

halfords.com

Items on 'sale' overseas are extremely cheap and are usually marked down to half price or more, normal stuff is easier and probably cheaper through CWC locally.

Again I don't have experience with postage to SA.

If you go overseas you can bring back R5000 of goods as accompanied baggage, before you have to pay customs duty.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

EasyBike / EasyGIS (same guys)

Good for tyres and cheapest place to by a Garmin that I've seen.

EasyBike / EasyGIS (same guys)

Good for tyres and cheapest place to by a Garmin that I've seen.

Have you used them before? are they legit?