Hatred of Cyclists

Hype

I was riding along Spaanschemacht road this morning through Tokai forest. It was about 7am and there was very little traffic so we were riding two abreast and then I was pulling in behind when I saw a car coming.

This Golf then comes past and as he draws alongside me he hoots. But he was at most about 15cm from me and he hooted at the last second only to scare me. My knee-jerk reaction was to show him the finger. He then pulls over and gets out of his car. So I stopped next to him and he starts swearing and going ape.

I stayed calm and said that I agree that riding 2 abreast wasn't clever but that I didn't see any car when I looked back and he could have hooted when he was 20 or 30m behind me and I would have pulled over.

But clearly any motorist who pulls over and gets out of his car is already past any form of reasonable conversation - so he carried on ranting and was realy aggressive.

The next thing another car goes past and then turns around and stops on the other side of the road. This nutcase hangs out of his window and starts saying "you're all a bunch of w***ers". I mean he's so anti-cyclists that he turns his car around just to get a piece of the action !

I just ignored him but the first guy then seems to now be more pysched up by the presence of the newcomer and he says "someone should just ****you all up".

So I say "who do you mean" ? I'm only one guy. So he says "you cyclists - you think you own the road".

I just told him that he should get some excercise because it will help him de-stress and I rode off.

But I get the feeling that there is a real anti-cyclist sentiment which is growing and these guys hatred of cyclists was incredible.

They have clearly had problems with cyclists in the past. I agree that riding 2 abreast is not advisable where there's trafic ... but then I see some guys riding 3 abreast and then refusing to move when cars come ... or they ride without consideration for anyone else (riding through traffic lights, etc).

I just wish that cyclists would consider the consequences that their actions have on other cyclists.

Is there anyone else that feels the "anti-cyclist" sentiments are growing ?

One day we will read in the papers about a cyclist who's been beaten to death by a motorist.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's new, Motorist Hate cyclist just as much as they hate Taxi's. It's not the fault of the Taxi's nor is it the fault of cyclists, we don't freaken-well have dedicated lanes for either, just a pity not every one gets it. But I have to congratulate you Hype on they way you handled yourself, well done!<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Showing "the finger" is the most stupidest thing to do, rather wait for the driver to get past you so that he can eyeball you in the rearview mirror and then give a friendly wave. no aggro from your side but i bet the last thing he wants to see is a friendly reaction from someone who he thinks will be p*****d off 

Unfortunately I would've decked the driver...don't have a lot of patience with Idiots...

but then again my actions would've reflected badly on all cyclists...

Well done Hype...

Unfortunately I would've decked the driver...don't have a lot of patience with Idiots...

I rest my case. Thanks for the validation Robotech LOL

Sure butafly but the guy deliberately tried scare tactics by coming as close to me as possible. I never react when they hoot but when someone starts using their car like a weapon then sometimes the reaction gets out before your mind has a chance to think about it.

Ek sou dit verloor het en sy a$$ gepepper het!

Ek voel somer hoe die adrenalien deur my stroom...

Ek sou dit verloor het en sy a$$ gepepper het!

Ek voel somer hoe die adrenalien deur my stroom...

ek moet bieg, sou ook my hele "french" woordeskat na hom gegooi het Dead

Showing "the finger" is the most stupidest thing to do' date=' rather wait for the driver to get past you so that he can eyeball you in the rearview mirror and then give a friendly wave. no aggro from your side but i bet the last thing he wants to see is a friendly reaction from someone who he thinks will be p*****d off [/quote']

I usually just laugh at him/her when we eyeball each other......I bet they feel stupid thenLOL

different stroke for different folks . a friend of mine, points and wags his finger at them. i just find that i don't want to give them the satisfaction of them knowing that they scared me sh****ss

Also had an altercation with a dude in a white golf, on a Saturday morning, in the southern suburbs, his poor girlfriend/wife/skelmpie was with. The poor girl was so embarrassed, I actually felt sorry for her.

many years ago the sunday bunch that used to leave from vasco took a guys keys away and threw it in the bushClapClapClapClapClapClap

It might be a good idea to get these guys registration numbers and form a database. You never know when they might end up in court for hitting a cyclist, then we have a record of their previous madness to show a judge...