Asma Pump for an unfair advantage?

Vetseun

Help me out here hubbers. I know most of y'all are lank clever and those who arent just make as if they are.

Rode a MTB race this weekend. There was a guy that I sort of know, always been an average rider who would be expected to finish in the top half of the field.

At this race he was an animal, dishing out pain by the bucket load. At a stage I noticed that he was constantly taking a hit on an asma pump, so much so that half way through the 70km race he dumbed the canister and replaced it with a new one. Being a sportsman who believes in preparation equals rewards I questioned his constant sucking on the asma pump. He told me that he uses it for medical reasons as he has serious asma problems, strangely enough, I do one long ride per week with them and have never seen him using an asma pump.Needless to say, beyond all expectations he had a top 3 finish in the race.

My question is...... is there possibly performance enhancing products in an asma pump?

This is an honest question, I am not tying to cause sh!t because somebody had a better race than me.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is...... is there possibly performance enhancing products in an asma pump?

Yes. You need a TUE to use salbutamol (the active ingredient in most inhalers). And yes, more than 50% of the pro peleton are asthmatic. Odd, innit?

Edited by TNT1

Help me out here hubbers. I know most of y'all are lank clever and those who arent just make as if they are.

Rode a MTB race this weekend. There was a guy that I sort of know, always been an average rider who would be expected to finish in the top half of the field.

At this race he was an animal, dishing out pain by the bucket load. At a stage I noticed that he was constantly taking a hit on an asma pump, so much so that half way through the 70km race he dumbed the canister and replaced it with a new one. Being a sportsman who believes in preparation equals rewards I questioned his constant sucking on the asma pump. He told me that he uses it for medical reasons as he has serious asma problems, strangely enough, I do one long ride per week with them and have never seen him using an asma pump.Needless to say, beyond all expectations he had a top 3 finish in the race.

This is an honest question, I am not tying to cause sh!t because somebody had a better race than me.

Sour Grapes!

I suggest you Goggle ASMA, before you enter a medical debate.

Get back to me.

What kind of asthma pump was it, cause I will change to his brand then.

Depending on the pump (and on the presumption that it is a standard asthma pump) the ingredient is salbutimol. It is on the list of prohibited substances that require a Therapeutic Use Exemption. I think within the exemption there is also a limit on the content found in a test (if I remember correctly about 6 pumps in 2 hours?) Any more than the recommended dosage (2 pumps every four to 6 hours) would be dangerous, as it is a stimulant. Any pharmacists / asthmatics out there that can confirm / correct?

However, this being said, I use a pump before training to prevent (very mild) attacks, and do not notice any performance enhancement... I only notice when I don;t take the pump and I am wheezing very early into a run in particular sucking for air when I should be comfortable.

and do not notice any performance enhancement.

I have used salbutamol in racing, and it does work. (edit, you need a bit more than a single burst from a pump though...)

Edited by TNT1

kli klom kloot klak

Ha.

EPIC. :lol:

That needs NO sign langij.

Can I put that one on my baaiesukkels bumper? - Paleeze! :P

my brother used to race elites, he used a asthma pump as the doctor said he had 'sport asthma' so during a race he will take shots when his chest closes, but not uneccesary, why not use it if it works?

Yep, it is performance enhancing. Googling would have gotten you that answer.

Petacchi got bust for using Salbutamol (the generic) in 2007.

If you have asthma you need to get a TUE. Even then, there's a limit to how much you can take. If you have a medical reason, there's still an upper limit. One whole pump seems like an extreme amount, and he would fail a drugs test (and possibly suffer overdose symptoms.)

I know people with actual asthma (on and off the bike), and they'd never take two pumps with on a ride, and don't use the pump more than a few times a day.

Various allergy medications will land you in hot water too.

I have used salbutamol in racing, and it does work. (edit, you need a bit more than a single burst from a pump though...)

You Bloody Cheetah!

And you state this LIVE on a public forum?

(PM>>>

You Bloody Cheetah!

(edit, I had a TUE though...)

Weird. I bought a CellC sim card yesterday, and it had a cheetah on the packaging.

Edited by TNT1

Depending on the pump (and on the presumption that it is a standard asthma pump) the ingredient is salbutimol. It is on the list of prohibited substances that require a Therapeutic Use Exemption. I think within the exemption there is also a limit on the content found in a test (if I remember correctly about 6 pumps in 2 hours?) Any more than the recommended dosage (2 pumps every four to 6 hours) would be dangerous, as it is a stimulant. Any pharmacists / asthmatics out there that can confirm / correct?

However, this being said, I use a pump before training to prevent (very mild) attacks, and do not notice any performance enhancement... I only notice when I don;t take the pump and I am wheezing very early into a run in particular sucking for air when I should be comfortable.

Are you using a preventor or releaver? Big difference.

I use a preventor each day and yes there is a difference on my morning commute which happens to be a hard core mountain climb on Somerset West tar roads. But I also take chronic antihistamines and the two work together.

I'm an asthmatic - been one all my life.

One well known side effect of overdose (which this guy is clearly doing, and then some) is heart palpitations and raised & irregular heart beat. Overdosing on regular asthma inhalers puts major strain on the heart. Asthmatics know all about this when suffering from a major chest infection and the temptation to keep reaching for the inhaler becomes too strong.

I have never heard of someone going through an entire inhaler in one day. This is beyond incredible.

This okie is on a one way ride to a heart attack.

I have never heard of someone going through an entire inhaler in one day. This is beyond incredible.

This okie is on a one way ride to a heart attack.

It's beyond daft is what it is. There are better things to use, and better doctors to advise on their use than a stupid over the counter quick high.