Can Tubbies be repaired?

Mongoose!

[This has the stitches.

Looks not like a bad buy or what??

300 gram

R186 + vat and duties ( ... 15%...)@ Chainreactioncycles. :thumbup:

If you are looking for training tubbies then the CRC option is fine. However, if you are looking for race day tubbies then consider the more expensive ones. Remember, "goedkoop is duurkoop".

Consider some hand made tubbies, check out www.veloflex.it These are not cheap, but highly rated and in huge demand by the pro peleton.

my 2c worth.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Edman. Next one I will not f#@k up.

What tubbie is recommended?

Want a value for money one :unsure:

I recently shod my fixie with a set of Conti Giros. R275 a shot. They seem quite robust.

Maybe Jennifer does not know the difference between a tubeless road tire and a tubular road tire?

I have searched through Joes, Stans and other websites, none of them expressively claims that they are tubular/tubby fixers.

Tubeless yes but not specifically tubular. Tubeless road tires can be run at 6bar which is still plausible.

99% of the reviews on any of these sealants in Google are based on tubeless mtb tires.

These guys: Effetto Caffe Latex Sealant, claims the following:

"• Repairs punctures up to 6mm (mtb) and 3mm (road)"

Road? Tubeless, tubular or tubed? They dont say but I strongly suspect tubed and tubeless.

Increase the pressure from 8bar (tubed) to 12bar (tubular) and you are left with what 1,5mm?

And 3mm .. Edman your blowout is probably closer to 7 or 8mm

This is what my last blowout looks like

post-4352-0-32254500-1303376880.jpg

I had a can of that white foam stuff the TT guys use, not sure what its called?

But I knew it would have been a total waste to even try it!

So I rather started looking for someone with a bakkie and thanks to Fire's dad, I got home that night :thumbup:

Edited by Tankman

My blowout was interesting in that there was no external damage to the tyre (in fact, I initially thought the valve had ripped out - hence opening it at the valve). I was also running it at 110psi (7.5 bar) as per Zipp's recommendation. The gash is pretty big, so it would be unfair to criticise the sealant based on that.

I have, however, used a number of different sealants on normal road tyres (tubes + clinchers) at the same pressure and invariably, the only thing they have contributed in the event of a puncture is a mess. They then seal it up just enough to make it really difficult to find the puncture again when I'm trying to patch the tube.

7.5bar? That is pretty low, lower than the 9bar I run my gatorskin clinchers at. That might be why you had a that blowout when hitting the pothole.

My tubbies are normally at 11.5 bar (continental sprinters). Well I guess cause the pump indicator only goes to 11bar (160psi)

Your competition tubbies has a max of 12bar or 170psi

Edited by Tankman

Fully agree. The high end tubbies should not be pumped more than 9/10 bars. On rough surfaces like Roubaix, pros run as low at 5 bars. :o

:lol: eggxatly, my research has shown that 11bar is my magic number!

The gash is pretty big, so it would be unfair to criticise the sealant based on that.

That is precisely my point, the gashes on tubbies are NORMALLY too big for any sealant so seal

I think Jennifer made that video now and realised that she spoke to early as it didn't seal and she probably is cleaning her PC and house now after that explosion when she jammed the nail in there....thats why she gives no response...

• 5 weeks later...

A quick update. filming of demo video was completed this week. Some photos taken on the day are now on my profile page. Have only posted pics of Tubbie test.

Will notify everyone when video is done.

in last years masters group in wp champs , paul meinking punctured. there was a loud pffsssst and a fountain of sealant on ever rotation of the back wheel for about 5 secs then it sealed. the puncture then reopened about 3 more times in the following few minutes and resealed everytime. he went on to win the race. i can only guess that he had tubeless.

Edited by ccc2

@Jennifer, I still havn't received the two bottles you were going to send me?

I received parcels that had been tampered with back from the post office. your sealant is probably in there. I will personally resend the product before Tuesday, will PM the tracking number to you.

I think Jennifer made that video now and realised that she spoke to early as it didn't seal and she probably is cleaning her PC and house now after that explosion when she jammed the nail in there....thats why she gives no response...

I was gonna post this, the blood being from the nail that performed a small faceplant..

http://www.heroinecontent.net/archives/2009/10/jennifers-body-movie-poster.jpg

but the video's acoming.. meh.