Garmin data - frustrating

chris_w_65

Make sure the HR strap is tight otherwise you will get false readings, if you do not want electrode gel try good old spit as a base between body and strap?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure the HR strap is tight otherwise you will get false readings, if you do not want electrode gel try good old spit as a base between body and strap?

errm, what happened to good old sweat with dissolved salts making for highly conductive solutions... just saying..

I have read that the calorie calcs on the Garmin are not that accurate... I have the Egde 305 and I like it because of the multiple display windows that you can view at the same time. I believe that the Polar is a better training tool though... :unsure:

The calorie calculation on the 305 is based on duration of the workout.

Press start on the unit, leave it on your desk for 3 or 4 hours and watch the calories climb.

The calorie calculator on the newer devices has been improved and remains a hot topic on the Garmin Forums but the issue is that you need a whole lot of scientific equipment to determine the exact calories burned, the difference of fitness level, intensity of workout, external factors, max heart rate, weight, metabolism, age and all that, there are just to many variables between athletes for the calculator to be precise.

Even after you have stopped your workout, you are still burning calories ... it is very difficult to bring all of that into the calculation and is probably only there to give you a more or less indication of calories burned.

(oh and I dont think Polar is better training tool, which model is better than what for what? The 305 you currently have? Some functions perhaps but overall not ... this is a whole different discussion)

Are you wearing anything around your neck such as a gold chain etc?

I find that this interferes with the readings. In fact I have had a heart rate of 324 thanks to my car key on a lanyard!

Edited by River Rat

Are you wearing anything around your neck such as a gold chain etc?

I find that this interferes with the readings. In fact I have had a heart rate of 324 thanks to my car key on a lanyard!

No, nothing like that

Thanks for the suggestion

The increased HR is because of static caused by your cycle top (well that is what I got).

Here is a quick couple of checks for that aspect - link

The increased HR is because of static caused by your cycle top (well that is what I got).

Here is a quick couple of checks for that aspect - link

I will try dcrainmakers suggestions. I will try the gel and the different placement options for the transmitter.

Take note though, the first 2 hours of my most recent ride was in mist, it was not possible to ride with glasses on and water was dripping off my helmet so I don't think it qualified as dry winter conditions. Also, 1 hour into the ride when it spiked one would think that there was some sweat between the HR strap and my skin.

I would also not really call sustained high readings with the duration of an hour or so a spike

also on the test list are

Switch off iPhone for my next ride

Remove Powertap battery for my next ride

Perhaps one of these is interfering with the HR data

Guest agteros

also on the test list are

Switch off iPhone for my next ride

Remove Powertap battery for my next ride

Perhaps one of these is interfering with the HR data

Apparently different types of clothing material can build up a static charge (especially when wet - sweat / mist / rain?) which can affect the reading. Maybe you have a favourite shirt / brand? Might be worth it to try something else....

Also look at whether the spikes are in the same geographic area or same electric / radio transmission equipment around?

Also get new transmitter batteries from a place where there will be a high turn around on that battery model/size and change them?

Apparently different types of clothing material can build up a static charge (especially when wet - sweat / mist / rain?) which can affect the reading. Maybe you have a favourite shirt / brand? Might be worth it to try something else....

Also look at whether the spikes are in the same geographic area or same electric / radio transmission equipment around?

Also get new transmitter batteries from a place where there will be a high turn around on that battery model/size and change them?

Anatomic and Nike shirts

The "spikes" are for around an hour at a time so unless I am riding in Japan or Cernobyl I don't think that could be the problem

Batteries are from Dischem and tested by me before I put them in

Hopefully Garmin will come back to me soon with some suggestions

Guest agteros

Beaten me to it!

I have a shirt that gives trouble when running on hot summer days....

The calorie calculation on the 305 is based on duration of the workout.

Press start on the unit, leave it on your desk for 3 or 4 hours and watch the calories climb.

The calorie calculator on the newer devices has been improved and remains a hot topic on the Garmin Forums but the issue is that you need a whole lot of scientific equipment to determine the exact calories burned, the difference of fitness level, intensity of workout, external factors, max heart rate, weight, metabolism, age and all that, there are just to many variables between athletes for the calculator to be precise.

Even after you have stopped your workout, you are still burning calories ... it is very difficult to bring all of that into the calculation and is probably only there to give you a more or less indication of calories burned.

(oh and I dont think Polar is better training tool, which model is better than what for what? The 305 you currently have? Some functions perhaps but overall not ... this is a whole different discussion)

I suppose the Calories burnt aren't really important at all if you think obout it. What does matter is the heart rate readings. Does anybody know why Garmin don't do a one day session like Polar? Would it be adviseabl to go to the Polar day if you have a Garmin? I got a spread sheet from a friend that did the Polar training camp and it looks like a really useful tool. You can apparently upload the exercise sets to the Polar from the spread sheet.

Agree, After a while it is not so bad when you sweat enough.

However if not tight enough and you& bike vibrating it might give higher readings.

Had same issue, all sorted after tightening strap.

Guest agteros

I suppose the Calories burnt aren't really important at all if you think obout it. What does matter is the heart rate readings. Does anybody know why Garmin don't do a one day session like Polar? Would it be adviseabl to go to the Polar day if you have a Garmin? I got a spread sheet from a friend that did the Polar training camp and it looks like a really useful tool. You can apparently upload the exercise sets to the Polar from the spread sheet.

The spreadsheet/exercises is a generic template, and the only variable that changes from application to application is the duration (based on what you capture).

It works according to a set formula of various heart rate zones per week over a 12/16 week period. Note that it will not tell you what to do on Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu etc, you have to shuffle the weekly load yourself. It still is a reat for a beginner training plan and guide to not do stupid thinks.

Unfortunately it will not "upload" to Garmin, only to the Polar fitness program, from where it can be exported to their devices.

There is a link to their 16 week plan as a zip file (PPW Training Planners.zip) on this page. The zip file will contain generic HR based training plans for weekly training loads from 6 to 15 hours.

EDIT 1:

Note (I'm under correction, but reasonably sure) the the training plans above can only be loaded into version ProTrainer version 5, and not Polar Precision Performance SW v.4

I have their 12 and 16 week plans(single and mulisport versions) + HR Zone calculators as well. Welcome to mail me at "my username" @ gmail.com See EDIT 2 below

EDIT 2:

I've loaded the files to Google Docs, anybody with the link can access/download it.

EDIT 3: Link to collection, not one document

Edited by agteros