Shimano Pdm540 vs Eggbeaters?

mojopup

Shimano Pdm540 vs Eggbeaters  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

• Shimano pdm540s (the ones just below xt)
    • Eggbeaters

I am currently riding on entry level spds and am having major uncleating issues and am falling way too often. Which of the above options is better? And yes, it has to be able to handle Sani2C, Sabie and everything else that I can throw my bike at.

I had the same issue - so I bought egg beaters about 2 years back (4ti) and have no complaints - I did have to replace the spring awhile back (2xR100) but they work for me.

However they are not cheap

Which eggbeaters? You need to compare apples with apples. Have you tried undoing the tension? You can try Look Quartz aswell. Better then Eggbeaters in my mind.

Guest agteros

Which eggbeaters? You need to compare apples with apples. Have you tried undoing the tension? You can try Look Quartz aswell. Better then Eggbeaters in my mind.

Aah, but the question is whether she'll be cycling in your mind...

Why not the 520's?

Ok, sure. Whats the difference? All I know are eggbeaters, entry level (junk) spds, xt, xtr and the one below xt (not sure if its the 540s or 520s but got a quote on 540s)

There are a range of spares for Eggbeaters, plus a plate to protect the sole of your shoe from being eaten by them, enough said. SPD = zero maintenance.

I got the eggbeaters SL, the ones with the blue, I never used it for long, because it got a lot of play in it.

Its like something inside that is worn out.

based on that, I have to say that eggbeaters is not very durable and will have maintenance issues.

Not even sure if you can fix it.or were to get parts to fix it.

Shimano PDM 770 = 350g

Shimano PDM 540 = 352g

Except you pay more for 2g less. Both are bullet proof.

You can not compare them to eggbeaters.

My current shimanos are as loose as I can get them.

Try lubing the cleat - pedal interfaces. If very "dry", can make uncleating more difficult.

I did 2 Epics on the same set of Egg Beaters. Awesome pedals.

popeye you can buy a service kit for them. Also, it could be that you just need to have your egg beaters regreased.

Why not the 520's?

520 = 380g, thick shaft with plastic lock bolt which requires special tool to service. Fully adjustable. Can cut down small trees.

540 = 352g, tapered shaft, Fully adjustable, can take chunks out of trees

770 = 350g, tapered shaft, Fully adjustable, can take chunks out of trees

fully serviceable, just buy new 3.32" balls from your nearest bearing shop.

Clog up in mud, but then you can beat your cleat on them to shake it all out, and they feel nothing.

Candys = 226 g, look great, should be called CB Petals because they come in floral brights, crack up, fall apart, not easily adjustable, do not like trees.

GREAT if you ride in lots of mud, but don't ever beat them, they respond by exploding.

But then if you ride in lots of mud you will have more to worry about than worn pedals.

520 = 380g, thick shaft with plastic lock bolt which requires special tool to service. Fully adjustable. Can cut down small trees.

540 = 352g, tapered shaft, Fully adjustable, can take chunks out of trees

770 = 350g, tapered shaft, Fully adjustable, can take chunks out of trees

fully serviceable, just buy new 3.32" balls from your nearest bearing shop.

Clog up in mud, but then you can beat your cleat on them to shake it all out, and they feel nothing.

Candys = 226 g, look great, should be called CB Petals because they come in floral brights, crack up, fall apart, not easily adjustable, do not like trees.

GREAT if you ride in lots of mud, but don't ever beat them, they respond by exploding.

But then if you ride in lots of mud you will have more to worry about than worn pedals.

Look Quartz (entry level) = 272g. Looks great and works better.

Look Quartz (entry level) = 272g. Looks great and works better.

Sure, sure.... adjustment issues though.

But if the OP is price conscious then 540's are the boys!

Edited by The Drongo