The 29'er vs 26'er Poll

Just Keep Pedaling

162 members have voted

1. 1. Is a 29er a better buy for your money than a 26er?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I don't have any money.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure he meant 7.77%

Nope - he meant 0.7777% Bike weight alone is not important - bike + rider is the only weight that matters.

0.7777% of total weight.

If you are riding on tar road, which size wheel would be better?

Your mothers.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

It wouldn't make too much of a difference. What makes the difference is weight of the wheels, gearing (tooth count on F & R) and cadence.

Your mothers.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

It wouldn't make too much of a difference. What makes the difference is weight of the wheels, gearing (tooth count on F & R) and cadence.

so I take it 26er wins here?

so I take it 26er wins here?

Yup. Spesh are working on a prototype 26" road bike as we speak. Similar to the old TT bikes which had a 26" front wheel only both. Lighter, faster (less drag), better handling (lower centre of gravity), reduced rotational mass - the benefitsd are endless. They have to petition the UCI of course because they are illegal right now but I think 26" road bikes are the way of the future!

Yup. Spesh are working on a prototype 26" road bike as we speak. Similar to the old TT bikes which had a 26" front wheel only both. Lighter, faster (less drag), better handling (lower centre of gravity), reduced rotational mass - the benefitsd are endless. They have to petition the UCI of course because they are illegal right now but I think 26" road bikes are the way of the future!

You know what you have just started - a new 29er vs 26er road debate.

You know what you have just started - a new 29er vs 26er road debate.

Ok Ok - before all and sundry start trawling the net and slapping each other with hangbags and umbrellas at 20 paces like us mtbers do I was speaking out my derriere - there is no 26" wheel development.

So I took my newly acquired clown bike(GF Hi-Fi Pro 2011) for it's first spin last night, instead of waxing lyrical about how much faster I am and how much easier I roll over obstacles I am going to mention this:

Try one if you haven't, its a different ride with whole new set of thrills and spills. Its the type of ride I wouldn't mind doing the whole day in the saddle...super comfy :thumbup:

The debate of 26" vs 29" will prpbably last for quite a few years, my own 2 cents worth.

I have been very sceptial of the 29ers until I borrowed a 29er from Cyclefunatic, I managed to climb al the tough climbs in Jonkerhoek with it, it rolled effortlessly over large obsticles and it really rocked on the flat or small rolling hills.

This was the first time that a granny gear made sense to me, I noticed that while I am overcoming the obsticles I rarely left the granny or middle blade, my own 26er has a 2x10 configuration and I realised that the 42/28 chainring would never work with a 29er.

Both 26er and 29er have benefits, the 26er climbs faster and is more nimble in tight single trackes while the 29er is faster over rough terrain, guess you have to choose the bike that suits where you ride.

Have just replaced my 26er with another one, the 29er is not for me

Edited by grumpy

@Eldron i really enjoy your humour... have a happy spring day all...

the onl wheel size i struggle with is the one around my waist.. when i gets bigger i am slower... when it is smaller i am faster... and i climb faster... but bigger i descend faster

the onl wheel size i struggle with is the one around my waist.. when i gets bigger i am slower... when it is smaller i am faster... and i climb faster... but bigger i descend faster

amen to that...

Ye olde spare wheel hehehehe.

I just removed my 3kg "wheel" by force. I opted for the kill or cure cycling programme and so far it's all healing!

Latest technology from FES - why go 26" front when you can go 2" front???

untitled.bmp