The 29'er vs 26'er Poll

Just Keep Pedaling

162 members have voted

1. 1. Is a 29er a better buy for your money than a 26er?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I don't have any money.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone been on both around the MTN park?I herd the Andrew Mclean was faster around one of the routes by a few minutes on a 29er. I could expect that on the green routes but has anyone taken a 29er on the blue, black routes?

I haven't ever been on a 29er and am very curious about the difference through technical sections :)

I could not agree more. I climbed back on my 26" again this weekend as my normal machine was having a service done and i HATED every minute of it. And even typing HATED in capital letters does not express the true emotion i felt and a little girl came wizzing past me on the flats. I had to pedal my mielie off just to stay with her. I felt every small bump and pebble in the road. In fact i hated the small wheels so much that next time if my Proper bike is in for a service i just wont ride!

I hear what you are saying there is no doubt a 29er is faster on the flats but arent you suppose to climbing mountains on a mountain bike?

Depends what you're doing.

its quite simple.

29er - Marathons.

26er - XC.

If you can afford both and you participate in both disciplines then there's only 1 solution.

If you can only afford 1, like many people, you have to evaluate your rides, If you're a marathon racer/rider, like most people in SA now are, then the 29er is for you.

If you're a XC racer/rider then a 26er is for you, like somebody else said, most of the podiums at the world cup events were on 26ers, however, if you look at the marathon champs, (which i didn't watch), i can tell you without any background info that a much higher percentage of the riders were on 29ers. Because thats what they're suited for.

From personal experience, i prefer a 26er, having rode a 29er duel sus and HT.

But thats because my races are all short and the important qualities for me are almost exclusive to a 26er.

It all comes down to personal preference. Like most things.

26' hardtail, 29er Hardtail, 29er dualie, road machine, I need them all and love them all. Imagine only eating one type of food for the rest of your life. How boring. If 27.5s become freely available,I will want to experience that as well. Probably need a SS fixie as well. Just havent tried it yet. And let us not get onto my wish list for my motorcycles. . . . .

2 Wheels and I'm happy :)

I hear what you are saying there is no doubt a 29er is faster on the flats but arent you suppose to climbing mountains on a mountain bike?

Funny enough i am faster on my 29er than i ever was on my 26". Granted i can flick my 26" around any which way i like but i feel more control and speed both on the up hills, technical, down hill etc. on my 29er than i had on the 26"

Edited by specializedfan

its quite simple.

29er - Marathons.

26er - XC.

If you can afford both and you participate in both disciplines then there's only 1 solution.

If you can only afford 1, like many people, you have to evaluate your rides, If you're a marathon racer/rider, like most people in SA now are, then the 29er is for you.

If you're a XC racer/rider then a 26er is for you, like somebody else said, most of the podiums at the world cup events were on 26ers, however, if you look at the marathon champs, (which i didn't watch), i can tell you without any background info that a much higher percentage of the riders were on 29ers. Because thats what they're suited for.

From personal experience, i prefer a 26er, having rode a 29er duel sus and HT.

But thats because my races are all short and the important qualities for me are almost exclusive to a 26er.

I agree yes and no. Last year Kevin Evins rode all the Marathon races on a 26er dual and won everything he then rode the Karoo2coast on a 29er hardtail and won easily again both were Volcans. After Karoo2coast he was back on the 26er and won everything again. So why not stay with the 29er? He now rides a 29er Scott but that is a new sponsor. So the question remains are these guys riding what they want to ride or what the sponsors want? I see Adrien Niyonshuti and Paul Cordes are riding Volcan 26er in Marathons and coming top 5 so why arent they riding the Volcan 29er?

Funny enough i am faster on my 29er than i ever was on my 26". Granted i can flick my 26" around any which way i like but i feel more control and speed both on the up hills, technical, down hill etc. on my 29er than i had on the 26"

How does it feel on short steep climbs, my friends with 29ers say they struggle with that. Also notice it in races. I would like mabe to get a 29er. I have Eselfontein 4kms away and a bit worried with those tight technical bits.

Edited by Ceres

We had the oppopsite when "dikwiel" were the dominant bikes and these "dunwiel" 26ers were suggested to be faster, better, lighter. Is this "REVENGE OF THE DIKWIEL" ?

Wie roep ?

How does it feel on short steep climbs, my friends with 29ers say they struggle with that. Also notice it in races. I would like mabe to get a 29er. I have Eselfontein 4kms away and a bit worried with those tight technical bits.

On the short steep climbs i just power to the top. Never been much of a climber so my new theory is just to hit them hard to get it over and done with. After watching some downhill guys using the berm to turn tight corners and "pumping" off that as well as learning to using boddy weight rather than "Turning" the bike i enjoy techincal tuning sections as well. That being said i also changed from 3 x 9 gearing to 2 x 10 and i am loving that even more now.(But that is a whole different debate.)

its quite simple.

29er - Marathons.

26er - XC.

If you're a XC racer/rider then a 26er is for you, like somebody else said, most of the podiums at the world cup events were on 26ers, however...

You need to watch more XC races - Jaroslav Kulhavy absolutely flattened the oppositon on a 29er this year. And a 29er duallie no less!

I used to think 29er marathon - 26er xc but all bets are off after the 2011 xc season.

That said - your are right - try both and buy the one you're fastest on (if you're racing), the one that's most comfortable (if you're scared of technical stuff) or enjoy most (if you ride purely for the fun of it).

You need to watch more XC races - Jaroslav Kulhavy absolutely flattened the oppositon on a 29er this year. And a 29er duallie no less!

I used to think 29er marathon - 26er xc but all bets are off after the 2011 xc season.

That said - your are right - try both and buy the one you're fastest on (if you're racing), the one that's most comfortable (if you're scared of technical stuff) or enjoy most (if you ride purely for the fun of it).

And thats the moral of the story!

Definitely 26'er. Unless you are very, very tall.

And secondly, if bigger is better... why stop at 29 inch ?

Who has the specific ratio in wheel size to terrain ?

Really. I don't know. So if someone can please explain to me. Why 29 inch as opposed to 31 ?

Where can I buy a 31er? Me wants iit

...and a little girl came wizzing past me on the flats. I had to pedal my mielie off just to stay with her.

If that is your problem, wheel size should be your last concern. Rather hang out on the Training & Nutrition forum.