Free Slipstreaming while training

W1Z@RD

Hi Guys,

I would like your opinion.

Yesterday i went for a training ride on the road. On my way back, I caught up to another cyclistd quite easily and as I caught him, we got caught by a traffic light. When the light when green, the other cyclists decided to go hard, I took a while to clip in and get into my stride but took me a bout a minute to catch up to him, sticking to my zone and pace. As I caught him, I didnt sit in his slip stream and went by. I rode the last part of my ride and put in a final push into zone 4 to finish up (this was about 5km flat)

As i tapped off I needed to cross lanes as my turn was right and I looked over my shoulder to make sure no cars were coming and this... for lack of a better word... ******** was not only sitting in my slip but his front wheel was overlapping my rear and I got such a fright that I almost dropped it into the pavement

Now, firstly.. if you training - what is the point of sitting on somebodies tail!

Secondly, if you going to sit on somebodies tail, surely it should be somebody you riding with or at LEAST ask/tell so that both parties are comfortable and aware!

This guy put me at risk and considering I dont know him from a bar of soap, I really think he should have either 1. asked 2. dropped off 3. gone past if he could.

What is the etiquette? If any? If I come past somebody, I always ensure i say passing right and good morning and then thanks.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude,

Relax you are seriously overreacting IMO you don't own your lip or the road behind you. somethimes its just nice to be shielded from the wind even on a training ride.

Perhaps he was training for bunch riding :rolleyes:

I used to ride in slips for my first six months of cycling :blush: untill a friend switched me :angry:

Now I ride alone, lost my confidence to ride the wheels in front :( You probably lost the opportunity to gain a riding partner because of your attitude. It sure seem that he would be able to ride with you seeing as you pushed it and he stayed with you :thumbup:

Give the guy a break as he clearly still needs some practice to not overlap.

Guest agteros

The owner of the front wheel being clipped will generally fall. You were in the front... Relax, and do not race on a training ride ;-)

I totally agree with Wiza@rd..

Its flippin annoying when this happens. And when you slow down delibarately then they slow down as well!!

I experienced this yesterday as well!

Guest agteros

Do tell what this person behind you guys took away from you?

Anybody spoke to one of the "wheel suckers"? How far they've gone? How the feel? etc etc

Also, if it so annoying why not either ride him of your wheel, or tell him it is annoying, or... suggest taking turns at the front....?

I almost always train alone, so any chance I get to practice "bunch" riding, I take.

I think the guy should have maybe asked you, or at least made his presence known, because you ride different (read safer) when you know someone's behind you.

Just my 2c.

I dont mind somebody slipping me, but my argument is that he didnt bother to make me aware he was there and when I tried to change lanes to turn right , he was right there front wheel overlapped- It was a very close call for me and I didnt appreciate the risk he brought to the situation seeing as though we were moving at 45km/h on a main road. If i did stray right he would have bailed and that would also be a bad thing. I guess I just expect people to be safe (the cars are dangerous enough and now to have to worry about other cyclists is an issue for me). I am not racing, but training and focusing on my zone

Quite easy - just say Passing right/left if you want to go past (which I do and many guys do) or slipping/rider behind - then hang on and enjoy the pull.

Logic.....

Daloco, I was not rude to the guy nor did I have the opportunity to teach he something about "wheel sucking" because as I saw he him and almost went ploughing into the pavement and bush he just kept going...

Agteros he took MY safety away... Good enough??

It is what it is, just would be nice to have some sort of "unspoken rule" for safety

I think the point being made here is that the 'slipper' was a surprise to W1z@rd when he looked back and saw this object very close behind him without a noise (read engine sound) behind him.

I would also sh!t myself if I was riding solo and when wanting to change lanes, I look behind me, and all of a sudden there is this large object behind me.

Lessons:

- The slipper should make his presence known.

- Hold your line even if you do get a fright unless you can actually see that you are in danger.

- The guy with the overlapping front wheel will be the one learning a bunch riding lesson, not you.

- Have fun!

Yah...I have also had my share of skriks when people suddenly appear when I am cycling, because I cycle alone mostly. :blink: It also tends to leave me less sanguine than normal :lol:

I dont mind somebody slipping me, but my argument is that he didnt bother to make me aware he was there and when I tried to change lanes to turn right , he was right there front wheel overlapped- It was a very close call for me and I didnt appreciate the risk he brought to the situation.......It is what it is, just would be nice to have some sort of "unspoken rule" for safety

Sure it was slightly odd for him to sit there and you got a fright.

You might want to have a think about how you didnt know he was there and your general awareness on the roads.

45kmh is very fast for someone to be overlapping your wheel. You can talk about other people and rules but 1st choice is always to look after yourself and know what is going on around you.

Edited by Joe Low

i find it easier to greet and tell the guy 'hook on'. it irritates me when i'm on a lekker easy ride and some dude flys past without greeting then looks back to see if you are there. thats when i chase and when(if)i catch, ask "do you mind if i sit your wheel"?