Sani2C Tire Choice

Bike Mob

I haven't ridden a Sani this late in the year before and my last encounter was a mud fest... so what are the tracks going to be like, in the dry, after J2C and S2C adventure...

What rubber is going to be best?

Sounds like a semi slick will do but I'm not so sure :P

Faster the better,

most of the course is groomed and non technical, so big semi slicks are the way to go.

Maxis aspen 2.35 up front and Vredestine Killer bee 2.2 on the back. let it roll baby roll.

What if it gets muddy all of a sudden?

I think Renegade is putting all your faith in the weather playing along. The weather is not what it used to be.

I will be sticking to my original choice of Racing Ralphs 2.25 UST. Heavy but I remember a few sections with rocks that could cut a sidewall.

I asked a similar question here a while ago.

Monorail/Cross mark combo?

Mountain/Race King combo?

The rain had better stop!

Im gonna run the race/mountain king combo. For me I find them to be the best all round tyres. The race king is perfect in the mud, but its pretty darn good.

I'm thinking of riding Renegades...

I rode with a 2.1" renegade on the back last week with a little rain on Table Mountain and I would most certainly not recommend running this tyre in the wet ... this is Sani, I am sure it will be wet.

Take the tyre with in your overnight pack and use it on the back if you are confident that the weather will play along ... nice tyre in the dry!

What if it gets muddy all of a sudden?

I think Renegade is putting all your faith in the weather playing along. The weather is not what it used to be.

I will be sticking to my original choice of Racing Ralphs 2.25 UST. Heavy but I remember a few sections with rocks that could cut a sidewall.

How heavy are we talking? Want to get a Ron for the front and a Ralph for the rear

Gonna be running standard spesh Fast Traks with a Captain in the box for the front just in case.

mountain kings should work well, KZN mud isn't the same as anywhere else in Sa.

But if it is dry, I will probably use my Larsen TT's, with spare mtn kings in the blackbox

I am running a Racing Ralph upfront, with a Geax Saguro rear. I hope there is not much more rain..

I have a fastrak rear and a Ralph on front right now and it's great for tokai.. I could run fastraks on both...or a renegade on the back. Either way i will be taking a spare tire, I doubt I will need more grip on the front than a RR.

I am in the same boat, I currently run Maxxis Crossmarks.

They suck big time in the wet, Looking at either getting the Conti Mountain Kings or Kenda Karma's.

oooh i just remembered that renegades are going to be like wet fish on those floating bridges!

Expected dry combo: 2.2 Saguro front, 2.2 AKA back

Expected wet / varied combo: 2.4 mountain king front, 2.2 XKing back

I did a wet ride in Jonkers 2 weekends ago with the Saguro / AKA combo. There was not enough mud around to test the dry combo's mud shedding capabilities, but I did get a very wet and slippery Canaries ride in. The Sag/AKA combo was not very grippy over the wet roots and rocks, but traction was good on the ground cover and moving over wet roots and rocks was slippery, but predictable.

I am still waiting for my wet wheels and doubt if I will be able to test them in full wet conditions before the race.