Honest comment about Niners?

NotSoBigBen

From Dangerous Dan my 2011 Epic partner, training partner and he just happens to be my older brother :thumbup:

Keeping in mind that Dangle built him a Niner HT just a week before Epic, he had never ridden a Niner before! After his comment during the race 'hey Ben big wheel keep on turning' it has been christened 'Proud Mary' and he has just bought a Jet9 FS which is 'Proud Mary II' so he is for sure not unhappy!

Funny how ....

When I didn't have a 29" circus bike with ox wagon wheels (AND the compulsory red nose.. Oh sorry that comes from drinking too much!), everyone said that they are so much better than a 26", I had my doubts!

Now that I have one, everyone tells me how trash they are and that the 26" fairy toy bike is still the best by far. I have my doubts!

Wish they'd make up their minds!

Luckily I have both so I don't really care. If the one really is junk I'll ride the other and visa-versa.

By the way, for what it's worth, and I now have the experience (and the credibility, after riding Epic... on a 29" hard tail!) to say this .....

Both are great fun and not one is significantly better than the other (in some ways the one is better and in others not).

They different but the one is not significantly better than the other!

Those that say that are just justifying their purchase and fooling themselves (problem is they are showing those that know better how ignorant they are). Burry and Christoff at the XC champs were 2 places apart, Burry on his 29" Hard Tail, Christoff on his 26" Full Suspension. Yes Burry fell (2x) and bent his derailleur or whatever but still. I don't remember a 29" winning any of the races comes to think of it, I think that says a lot.

Regarding a 29" rolling over everything.... That wasn't my experience and Burry confirmed that on the last lap of the World Cup!

Bla, bla, bla, bla........

And I post this merely as a bit of fun so keep the flamethrowers in the cupboard :rolleyes:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been so tempted to upgrade/pimp/replace my 26inch hard tail, but all this talk about 29ers has put my plans on hold.

Well written!! Thanks for your honesty & well done on completing the EPIC on a HT nogal!!

Thought the same...29er better on technical sections...Burry only one with the 29er and fell twice on the technical section.

They need to make a bike that can take three size wheels. 26", 29" and 27.5" for the fence sitters. What would it need?

-adjustable fork

-adjustable dropout

-anything else?

"Both are great fun and not one is significantly better than the other" +1!!! :clap:

Congrats on the Epic finish! :thumbup:

You know, I thought I was special when I had both my 29ers before everyone decided to climb on the bandwagon.

I've now decided to sell them and rather buy a 24er for tight XC type terrain and a 36er for open terrain.

I have a 5inch trail bike (26) and a HT single speed (29). Depending on the ride I can choosen the best suited machine.

Horses for courses as they say.

Thought the same...29er better on technical sections...Burry only one with the 29er and fell twice on the technical section.

Not quite - Kulhavy finished 3rd on his Spesh 29er duallie. Personally I think the left line down the rock garden made a much bigger difference than wheel size...

If you look at pro results the trend seems to be 29er duallie for harsh stage racing (think top 10 at Epic), 29er HT for less severe stage racing (top 5 positions at Columbia Grape Escape were all 29ers), 26er or 29er HT for one day racing and 26 HT for XC.

Personally I think Sauser has it dialled - 29er duallie at Epic, 29er HT at Columbia Grape Escape and 26er HT at PMB XC.

It's all personal choice of course - if the difference is greater than 2% for or against a 26er duallie versus a 29er HT I'll be amazed.

Edit: The best way to find out if a 29er is for you is to ride one. Basing your decision on one crash is a bit silly - thats like saying I'll only buy a 29er if Burry wins Epic on a 29er...see what I mean?

Edited by Eldron

Not quite - Kulhavy finished 3rd on his Spesh 29er duallie. Personally I think the left line down the rock garden made a much bigger difference than wheel size...

If you look at pro results the trend seems to be 29er duallie for harsh stage racing (think top 10 at Epic), 29er HT for less severe stage racing (top 5 positions at Columbia Grape Escape were all 29ers), 26er or 29er HT for one day racing and 26 HT for XC.

Personally I think Sauser has it dialled - 29er duallie at Epic, 29er HT at Columbia Grape Escape and 26er HT at PMB XC.

It's all personal choice of course - if the difference is greater than 2% for or against a 26er duallie versus a 29er HT I'll be amazed.

Edit: The best way to find out if a 29er is for you is to ride one. Basing your decision on one crash is a bit silly - thats like saying I'll only buy a 29er if Burry wins Epic on a 29er...see what I mean?

I had a 29er...sold it after 6 months. Climbing sucks on it, the only positive thing about them is FROM MY EXPERIENCE is if you go and ride nice open roads. :rolleyes:

Everytime I hear "29er", my eye starts to twitch funny.

If someone comes up with another wheel size I am going to pop a vein! This whole debate, 29 vs 26 is stupid.

For a gizillion years we have been riding 26 inch.

NOT ONCE IN ALL MY 34 YEARS ON PLANET EARTH (PRIOR TO THE ARRIVAL OF 29") HAVE I EVER BEEN IN A RACE WHERE ANYONE EVER SAID: "HELL I WISH I HAD BIGGER WHEELS!!!"

Then some dope comes up with a 29 inch wheel and all of a sudden everyone claims to be Burry Stander!

Why stop at a 29"? Why not a 30"? Or a 29.5"?

If a 29 inch is the be all and end all to MTB, why did we have 26" in the first place? FFS, they send a man to the moon and cloned a sheep before they made bigger wheels!!!

ENOUGH with 29 er's already!!!

I had a 29er...sold it after 6 months. Climbing sucks on it, the only positive thing about them is FROM MY EXPERIENCE is if you go and ride nice open roads. :rolleyes:

Gotta love personal preference - I love my 29er HT - used it for Sabix, Sani2C, the full 2010 national xc series, most marathons, fun rides - hell I even rode a few loops of Suikerbosrand on it. There were some xc races where I thought a 26" might have been better suited though!

I think what most people seem to miss regarding 29ers is that it adds choice - I don't see 29ers as a replacement for 26er - they're just another option. The emergence of the 29er doesn't make everyone on a 26 wrong! Ease up there lil wheel riders :P

Everytime I hear "29er", my eye starts to twitch funny.

If someone comes up with another wheel size I am going to pop a vein! This whole debate, 29 vs 26 is stupid.

For a gizillion years we have been riding 26 inch.

NOT ONCE IN ALL MY 34 YEARS ON PLANET EARTH (PRIOR TO THE ARRIVAL OF 29") HAVE I EVER BEEN IN A RACE WHERE ANYONE EVER SAID: "HELL I WISH I HAD BIGGER WHEELS!!!"

Then some dope comes up with a 29 inch wheel and all of a sudden everyone claims to be Burry Stander!

Why stop at a 29"? Why not a 30"? Or a 29.5"?

If a 29 inch is the be all and end all to MTB, why did we have 26" in the first place? FFS, they send a man to the moon and cloned a sheep before they made bigger wheels!!!

ENOUGH with 29 er's already!!!

Ahhh the reaction expected of any man with 3" too little ;)

Dude - every "new" mtb technology has spawned mass debate with battle lines drawn and sides taken. Remember when rear suspension becaome common. Exactly the same debate raged for months.

Ditto the first carbon frame.

Ditto tubeless tyres.

Hell - even front suspension was first poo poo'd when first "invented".

Debate is healthy - sure 90% of 29er debate is fruitless but if you trawl through all the threads you should have a good idea of what it's all about.

This has stopped being a debate loooooooooooooooooooooong ago! All this has become now is: "What 3" can do for your cycling life..."

It is not how much you have, but how you use it.