Honest comment about Niners?

NotSoBigBen

I have done Epic and J2c this year

Personally I would ride Epic on a 26" Softail and J2c on a 29er

One of the things I did see is if you hit a tree stump flat out with a Niner it breaks

Hey at least it looks like those 9'er wheels held out well enough!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was spending money on bikes like I have done a few years ago I most probably would have had a 29 of some sorts in the room . But like I said on another thread , sanity prevailed and I am very happy with all my 26" bikes . But maybe one day just to say I have got one , I might actauly get one .

Wolweseun, I have a feeling that if you hit anything flat out it'll break, might be wrong though but I doubt it.

+1 - I reckon very few bikes would have survived that kind of impact without some damage!

+1 - I reckon very few bikes would have survived that kind of impact without some damage!

What I find amazing is that the down tube has broken! Typically alu tubes break where there is a stress raiser (a weld, cable guide etc.) - the crack starts there and "tears" through the tube. The top tube has loads of stress raisers but the down tue has none! To rip in in half must have taken some doing...

C'mon man - give us the dirt on the crash!

I am riding Sani2c next week and have a Sworks 29er ht and a 26 stumpy full sus. I personally (and my times prove it) believe that I am 10 - 15 minutes quicker in a race on my 29er than my full sus.

Before I bought my 29er my training mates used to beat me on average by 20 minutes and now on the 29er it is less than 5 minutes. There is no way that in 3 months I have miraculous gotten that much stronger when the gap has been 20 min for 2 years.

And who ever says that a 29er cant climb is smoking the good stuff because I have been climbing away from chaps on their 26" bikes that used to thump me when I was on my 26.

I kept my full sus thinking I would switch between the two and use the full sus on Sani and Karkloof and the longer technical rides and the 29er for everything else. The only time I have ridden my full sus in the last 3 months was when my 29er was getting serviced.

I have both and have been converted - Sani here I come on my 29er.

I have done Epic and J2c this year

Personally I would ride Epic on a 26" Softail and J2c on a 29er

One of the things I did see is if you hit a tree stump flat out with a Niner it breaks

You mean a 29er cant ride over everything??!! :clap: :P

I am riding Sani2c next week and have a Sworks 29er ht and a 26 stumpy full sus. I personally (and my times prove it) believe that I am 10 - 15 minutes quicker in a race on my 29er than my full sus.

Before I bought my 29er my training mates used to beat me on average by 20 minutes and now on the 29er it is less than 5 minutes. There is no way that in 3 months I have miraculous gotten that much stronger when the gap has been 20 min for 2 years.

And who ever says that a 29er cant climb is smoking the good stuff because I have been climbing away from chaps on their 26" bikes that used to thump me when I was on my 26.

I kept my full sus thinking I would switch between the two and use the full sus on Sani and Karkloof and the longer technical rides and the 29er for everything else. The only time I have ridden my full sus in the last 3 months was when my 29er was getting serviced.

I have both and have been converted - Sani here I come on my 29er.

psychological!! :P

I broke an ally frame in a similar way in 2005, came off a drop only about 5 bricks high, at speed, the back wheel got caught on something and I landed with my full weight going forward on a front wheel that was going no where...

The frame popped, with a ping, and I kissed the front wheel as I went over the bars, with the cabling holding me back. I was lucky to have a few big grazes, bruised knees/shins and a little whiplash.

Rubbish - it's all about how much you have. He who dies with the most toys wins!

Before you die here is a list of bikes/bike stuff you should own:

A single speed. - HAD ONE

A 29er.- HAVE ONE

A rigid fork on your mtb.- SAME AS NO 1 ABOVE

A full on TT bike. - WHY?

An old school, hand built 36 hole set of tubby road wheels.- WOULD BE COOL TO HANG ON THE STUDY WALL

A road fixie. - HAD ONE

Thats just a start - feel free to add...

I have been trying to get my head around this 29'er stories, but I am not sold. My buddy bought the new giant xtc. I tried it yesterday. I found that it definately rides alot smoother on the jeep track. Then we hit the single track, and man did he struggle. Previously he would fly down the single track no issues, but yesterday he had problems going over obstacles and conering. This is just my opinion and just wanted to share.

Guest Omega Man

Rubbish - it's all about how much you have. He who dies with the most toys wins!

A single speed.

A 29er.

A rigid fork on your mtb.

A full on TT bike.

An old school, hand built 36 hole set of tubby road wheels.

A road fixie.

DH Bike

DJ Bike

Cruiser BMX

AM Bike

Today i went into LBS and was really keen on buying a 29er after all the things everyone been saying about them. I have been patient and looking around for a while for either 26 or 29 inch mtb. So i asked them if i could just ride a 29er and they said no problem. I took it for a ride(not very far at all) and it felt very weird and it felt like i was been held back(hard to explain). When i got back i took a Scott Spark for the exact same ride and really enjoyed it.

When i got back i purchased the 26 inch Scott Spark 60 as i enjoyed it way more and was very comfortable.

I am not saying the 29er is rubbish its just that i enjoyed the 26 inch way more. I also know i did not do a long enough ride to make the best choice either.

Hope i made the right choice

Today i went into LBS and was really keen on buying a 29er after all the things everyone been saying about them. I have been patient and looking around for a while for either 26 or 29 inch mtb. So i asked them if i could just ride a 29er and they said no problem. I took it for a ride(not very far at all) and it felt very weird and it felt like i was been held back(hard to explain). When i got back i took a Scott Spark for the exact same ride and really enjoyed it.

When i got back i purchased the 26 inch Scott Spark 60 as i enjoyed it way more and was very comfortable.

I am not saying the 29er is rubbish its just that i enjoyed the 26 inch way more. I also know i did not do a long enough ride to make the best choice either.

Hope i made the right choice

You have just bought the perfect bike for riding around car parks... hope it works on the mountain!

You have just bought the perfect bike for riding around car parks... hope it works on the mountain!

If it works in the cars parks of Johannesburg, it'll be a breeze in the mountains...

A single speed.

A 29er.

A rigid fork on your mtb.

A full on TT bike.

An old school, hand built 36 hole set of tubby road wheels.

A road fixie.

A single speed - Does a track bike count?

A 29er - My road bike

A rigid fork on your mtb - Still got one, a Kona

A full on TT bike - nope

An old school, hand built 36 hole set of tubby road wheels - Had those. Gave them away.

A road fixie - Does riding a track bike on the rad count ?