Gautrain and Bicycles

Frosty Ice

Gautrain and Bicycles  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Would you consider riding and using the Gautrain?

• Yes
    • No

So it seems that no bikes, except in travel bags will be allowed! Kinda odd.... I was really hoping a system like that in the Netherlands may be possible. Riding to the station and then from it would be enviromentally friendly and efficient.

I think some rethinking here is required.

Thoughts ... write to feedback@bombelaop.co.za, they may even listen??

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it seems that no bikes, except in travel bags will be allowed! Kinda odd.... I was really hoping a system like that in the Netherlands may be possible. Riding to the station and then from it would be enviromentally friendly and efficient.

I think some rethinking here is required.

Thoughts ... write to feedback@bombelaop.co.za, they may even listen??

Huge thread on this a while back - think it was from I-Fly. They made their own bag; but do a search the travelogue was quite comprehensive.

I have sent a few enquiries to Gautrain operators re same topic but it seems that they don't expect many cyclists to use the train as they are not planning to provide facilities in the train or at the stations.

A few emails from us is not going to get any results. I even doubt that an approach by CGC/NGC will get different results.

See reply from Gautrain on the subject on topic below:-

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/102184-petition-gautrain-for-bike-carry-on-facilities/page__p__1385701__fromsearch__1#entry1385701

Thanks, guys, sorry for the repeat topic, did do a search first???

I have transported a bike a number of times on the train already, mainly the airport route. The carages are often quite full, but there always seems to be space close to the doors.

I did a site visit to the offices and workshops last week, I will try and get the operations managers email address and chat to him a bit. He is a great guy and not a political appontment, engineer, so lets see what comes of it.

Just for the record 2 black bags also work and some tape. ;-)

I had a bag made out of black denim. It weighs 2,5kgs, folds up into a backpack,is still in good condition after 4 months of daily use and cost R750.

I also park my bike in the carriage doorway but I am currently the only bike commuter. What happens if there are 10 or so bikes?

was in Hong Kong just over a month ago and the foldable bikes (called a Strida, pictured below) are allowed on the trains (not all, but most).

Was considering getting one, just for the the sake of having a folding bike - 10.5Kg, folds up to 114x51x23cm (about the same size a Peg-Perego pram)

Weight limit was about 100Kg and anyone taller than about 190cm will be too tall

http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2008/05/07/strida_bike3_seeq1_15699.jpg

and it was only HK$4600 for the entry level bike up to about HK$10K for one with alloy wheels

I was in Belgium last year and they were doing a project to get cars off the streets and people onto bikes, buses, trams and trains.

If you were a local registered tax payer and signed up to this scheme then they'd give you one of these bikes (painted in bright yellow to match the transport authority colours.)

Makes you think about our transport "solution" !

was in Hong Kong just over a month ago and the foldable bikes (called a Strida, pictured below) are allowed on the trains (not all, but most).

Was considering getting one, just for the the sake of having a folding bike - 10.5Kg, folds up to 114x51x23cm (about the same size a Peg-Perego pram)

Weight limit was about 100Kg and anyone taller than about 190cm will be too tall

http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2008/05/07/strida_bike3_seeq1_15699.jpg

I considered bring one in but I was not sure how well the design would work for the amount of climbing I do (365m) on each leg.

I also remember that the gearing gave a low top speed (in 20's)

But it is a clever design

Metrorail in Cape Town are permitting bicycles on the trains, first time in eons, this coming Saturday, in celebration of the Big Ride In Cape Town - we'll continue pressing them for a more permanent plan.

CL

www.ridelife.co.za

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know if the Gautrain will allow bikes for the weekend of the 94.7 ? I'm coming from CPT and our bikes will be rolled as is from the airplane fully assembled and not in a bike bag. Going to Sandton station where our lift will be waiting...

Does anyone know if the Gautrain will allow bikes for the weekend of the 94.7 ? I'm coming from CPT and our bikes will be rolled as is from the airplane fully assembled and not in a bike bag. Going to Sandton station where our lift will be waiting...

Don't count on it: reason does not prevail with their security staff. Best bring a bike bag.

Contact Gautrain and the 94.7 Race Office. I know they've made some arrangement for race day and it may extend to the days on either side. I suspect it's also less likely to be a problem if you're coming from ORT, rather than on the commuter service.

In the UK you cannot transport a bicycle on the tubes BUT can take bikes on all national rail routes. I would certainly classify Gautrain as national rail. Going from JHB to PTA is just like crossing from one country to another :lol:

Seriously now the fact that they dont allow bicycles is very short sighted