What is your favourite SA Cycling Magazine?

FABNOW

What is your favourite SA Cycling Magazine?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite SA Cycling Magazine?

• Ride Mag
    • Tread Mag
    • Bicycling Mag
    • Do It Now Mag
    • gomulti mag
    • other

Because Cycle Sport offers the best coverage of the Pro Tour. They don't have any advertorials, and no mtb crap.

I like tread cause they dont have any roadie crap

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im very outspoken about how crap Bicycling mag is but i still end up buying it every month. Im sure most of us are guilty of that. Once last year i bought the may issue of american bicycling and the next month's issue of the SA bicycling basically had the same articles in. How is that for making a effort :huh:

Edited by Jaco-fiets

I know we should be supporting the local mags (and I do), but the quality is still not up to scratch compared to the overseas mags i.e. What mountainbike, UK mountain biking etc etc. There's just not enough content in the local mags. It ususally takes me like 30 minutes to read the local mags (especially Bicycling), whereas the overseas mags you can take a week and still not be done with it completely. And even once you're done with it, you go back again and again using it as a reference tool.

Seems you guys really rate the tread mag. I bought it once a couple of months back and never again. Dont know why cause it wasnt bad. I'll make a point of picking one up tomorow morning

We seem to spend a lot of time here grumbling about the local mags, and probably rightly so. I often wonder why, why we don't just ignore them and read overseas stuff, but maybe we need to keep trying them to find out if they are as passionate about bikes as we are? right now, who knows :)

For me:

Tread is getting the local-is-lekker thing right, and is a good read. Even if the paper smells.

Bicycling lost it when they found an editor who can't ride a bike. It shows on every page.

Ride feels like a Joberg newsletter, but the passion for cycling shows through the mag.

GoMulti is improving, but still feels like a KZN newsletter.

Do It Now tries to do to much, so the cycling content gets lost a bit.

My favourite was TopCycling, oh how I laughed.

So, the local offering is dismal.

What do we actually want?

Maybe if we all make an effort at telling the editors what is missing, the sharp ones will react?

My 2c:

More stories - long, well-written stuff that I can sit down with and get absorbed in. ten pages of images of guys on fixies doesn't do it for me. a ten page feature on keirin racing, and the bikes it has spawned, and the NY messenger scene, both of which combined to create the fixie 'revolution'... now that would make me buy your mag. Tell me what it is like to ride a stage in the epic, don't presume i know. there are plenty of great writer-riders, the editors just need to give them space to tell their stories, not cram it into a blog.

Depth and substance over rock hard abs, please.

i totally aggree!! :clap: but its still a nice mag tho! :)

Completely so ... ok I may be somewhat biased ;)

Was a hit with folk at the World Cup, loved it . . . :thumbup:

Favourite overseas mag is Bike!

I like tread cause they dont have any roadie crap

So would you say that there should be 1 mag specific for MTB and 1 mag specific for Raod?

Listen up.....according to the POLL RIDE MAG is still the Favourite Mag in SA.....

:huh:

We seem to spend a lot of time here grumbling about the local mags, and probably rightly so. I often wonder why, why we don't just ignore them and read overseas stuff, but maybe we need to keep trying them to find out if they are as passionate about bikes as we are? right now, who knows :)

For me:

Tread is getting the local-is-lekker thing right, and is a good read. Even if the paper smells.

Bicycling lost it when they found an editor who can't ride a bike. It shows on every page.

Ride feels like a Joberg newsletter, but the passion for cycling shows through the mag.

GoMulti is improving, but still feels like a KZN newsletter.

Do It Now tries to do to much, so the cycling content gets lost a bit.

My favourite was TopCycling, oh how I laughed.

So, the local offering is dismal.

I really think that you hit the nail on its head. We need to get the info to the editors and let them know what we would like to read. I also do think that it is very very important that the editor has some kind oof back ground with cycling! Thant is one thing about Tread and that is that they have a Businessman with a cycling background who is still very involved in Cycling world. Does the other mags have this as well?

I know Myles Kelsey who works for Bicycling who is a huge asset, because of his downhill riding, but i think he is involved in the Sales side of the business.

mmm...

What do we actually want?

Maybe if we all make an effort at telling the editors what is missing, the sharp ones will react?

My 2c:

More stories - long, well-written stuff that I can sit down with and get absorbed in. ten pages of images of guys on fixies doesn't do it for me. a ten page feature on keirin racing, and the bikes it has spawned, and the NY messenger scene, both of which combined to create the fixie 'revolution'... now that would make me buy your mag. Tell me what it is like to ride a stage in the epic, don't presume i know. there are plenty of great writer-riders, the editors just need to give them space to tell their stories, not cram it into a blog.

Depth and substance over rock hard abs, please.

I really think that you hit the nail on its head. We need to get the info to the editors and let them know what we would like to read. I also do think that it is very very important that the editor has some kind oof back ground with cycling! Thant is one thing about Tread and that is that they have a Businessman with a cycling background who is still very involved in Cycling world. Does the other mags have this as well?

I know Myles Kelsey who works for Bicycling who is a huge asset, because of his downhill riding, but i think he is involved in the Sales side of the business.

mmm...