Riding when you are sick

Vetseun

I had a cold for about a week. Started feeling better last week Thursday. On Saturday went for a group MTB ride. 4 hours 85km. Never pushed myself too hard.Woke up yesterday feeling as if I had been hit my a train. Today Im man down with flu.

So what is the deal with riding when you are ill.

There are so many conflicting stories.Some say dont ride, some say ride if your body isnt sore, others say ride but keep your HR low. I really dont want to stuff myself up. Baviaans training is really going well . Any opinions out there of when one should ride again. Obviously I wasnt fully recovered and now Im back to square one. Its a f@ckup!! :thumbdown:

"So what is the deal with riding when you are ill."

I had a colleage who used to be a nurse in cardio. One day a superfit forty year old women is admitted after running with flu. She did not want to screw with her training schedule.

She died a short while later - there was nothing the doctors could do.

i am sure there are some far more knowledgeable than me.

the basics: have NO SYMPTOMS (coughing, runny nose etc) for two days before starting again.

i had to take two weeks off training (spread apart by about two weeks) because i got ill. frustrating, but very necessary.

also, certain viruses and bacteria going around that can only be treated by specific anti-biotics. so no point in taking a course that does nothing other than killing essential bacteria.

If you are sick it is your bodies way of telling you "I've had enough I need some Rest!!"

Some will give you the above and below the chest advice but your body does not get sick because it wants you to give it a pounding - Don't do anything until you are fully recovered - nuff said

Take the break, rest your body ... you're sick for a reason and your body needs to recover. My cycling doc friend tells me the ONLY way to sort out a cold or, in my case, bronchitis, is REST REST REST. Fighting illness takes a lot of energy and your body needs you to give it what it needs. I've always found that if I give myself enough rest and get back when my body really is ready, I pick up almost where I left off. Unlike when you get back on the bike too soon - and put yourself RIGHT back. The Baviaans will wait. Really. Get well soon!

Edited by Mushilele

Same happened to me. Went for a lekke 3hr ride before voting last wednesday. Got up thursday morning with a post nasal drip and slight wheezy chest. Was my off day so did nothing. Friday the wheezing was bit worse. Decided to do a race on saturday anyway. Now i have to sleep in a weird slightley upright position otherwise i cant breath. Funny thing is i dont feel sick really. Just my chest is really bad. So do i go for a light spinning class till it subsides or do i stay off the bike till im 100%?

Edited by Jaco-fiets

Guest agteros

I had a cold for about a week. Started feeling better last week Thursday. On Saturday went for a group MTB ride. 4 hours 85km. Never pushed myself too hard.Woke up yesterday feeling as if I had been hit my a train. Today Im man down with flu.

So what is the deal with riding when you are ill.

There are so many conflicting stories.Some say dont ride, some say ride if your body isnt sore, others say ride but keep your HR low. I really dont want to stuff myself up. Baviaans training is really going well . Any opinions out there of when one should ride again. Obviously I wasnt fully recovered and now Im back to square one. Its a f@ckup!! :thumbdown:

If it(pain/mucus) is above the throat you can carry on training, if it is in the throat or lower you stop your training. If you are on anti-biotics, be careful as there is a category of the stuff than can cause tendon ruptures (even long after stopping the stuff). If your heart rate is higher than what it should be when you train, you are sicker than you want to acknowledge and better back off/stop.

Being sick sucks, training for something and falling ill is the pits! thumbdown.gif

We've all done it and (typically) it sets you back big time. After trying to get back on the saddle too early I prolonged my recent head cold and even now feel that my cycle fitness has regressed significantly :thumbdown:

It's really worth watching your resting HR. if that goes up+- 5bpm or more, you really should be careful, go slow/ take time off. Also, watch your HR while riding cos if that is higher than it should be then something's going on. All kinds of viruses can affect your heart but not all cases of flu will and you don't even have to be that sick for it to happen. It's your immune system that gets confused by a virus so that it starts to target heart

cells which leads to myocarditis. It's possible that you don't realize how badly your heart has been affected and if you exercise the result could be permanent damage, or worse. I went riding with a 'mild' dose of myocarditis and managed a new HR max on an easy ride but I was REALLY lucky. it's like having a strained muscle (your heart is muscle!) but it literally flattens you. I'm not sure what factors affect your chances of your immune system and a virus interacting like this, but in my case I also rode when I started feeling a bug coming on But went home early cos i wasn't up to it. I'm almost sure that had something to do with it, but nothing I've read makes that link.

Take this seriously cos even if you're 'lucky' and don't land up in hospital it's not fun. And my last 2cents, this stuff about head or chest cold doesn't mean much. That might affect your breathing, but a sore throat is enough of a sign of the kind of virus that can affect your heart. The only way to have an idea of what's going on, rather than being completely neurotic is to watch your heart rate and if you have the aches, don't ride!

A long post, but I still can't believe it did happen. And when it did, I struggled to find good info on what was going on or how to handle it. It also stuffed up my training but, really, there is (??) always next year. Hope this helps!