Ideal jacket for winter riding?

Beer4Recovery

Hi,

With the colder conditions upon us, I would like to know what kind of jacket to choose when riding my mtb in the winter months.

At the moment i am using only arm warmers. And a normal fleece jackets gets too hot & sweaty. What is your winter apparel?

I came across this one

What do you suggest ? :unsure:

Edited by deftone

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Magneeto works like a bomb. Good ventilation and the arms are removable.

Well worth the investment. :thumbup:

Hi,

With the colder conditions upon us, I would like to know what kind of jacket to choose when riding my mtb in the winter months.

At the moment i am using only arm warmers. And a normal fleece jackets gets too hot & sweaty. What is your winter apparel?

I came across this one

What do you suggest ? :unsure:

I am buying mine today - the same, but for a cheaper price....

Dont pay that, shop around you get them for about R599 or so.

For the dead of winter get one of those cheapy chinese ones with the German lables. Cajees have them but then it's a bit more expensive. Try the chinese shops in your area. Between R100 and R200. That and a Thermal top underneath you are sorted.

I am buying mine today - the same, but for a cheaper price....

Dont pay that, shop around you get them for about R599 or so.

Hayley, where can you get one at that price?

I know of someone who is looking for one too.

For the dead of winter get one of those cheapy chinese ones with the German lables. Cajees have them but then it's a bit more expensive. Try the chinese shops in your area. Between R100 and R200. That and a Thermal top underneath you are sorted.

Magic brand,i have been out with mine at -4 deg with a thermal top underneath.It's not waterproof but for R199 it was a great buy.

I got a nice winter jacket for riding when I was in Germany last month. Good price as well since they are now into spring/summer.

I bought a Gore windstopper jacket in 2006. It has zip off sleeves. So far it has been fine to wear in winter with a undershirt. It cost $100 then.

I guess tomorrow morning will be a good test of it when I leave on my commute at 6am.

Is that that brand that offers everything from clothes to houseware to unicycles? Three letters?

Hayley, where can you get one at that price?

I know of someone who is looking for one too.

ja ekke! biggrin.gif

Edited by helloise

Is that that brand that offers everything from clothes to houseware to unicycles? Three letters?

Help a brother out and share the knowledge. What brand/shop?

Magneto to stop the wind, R99 base layer from MR. Price sport, jersey and arm warmers.

But depends also - mtb or road with the wind chill difference and how cold it gets where you stay

I would say a Gore jacket, I used it with just a base layer while commuting in the UK throughout winter - breathable and waterproof :thumbup: It will cost you a fair bit, but its something that will last a long time.

Help a brother out and share the knowledge. What brand/shop?

Not sure. I just remember three letters. Have a jacket at home. Will look for it and post tomorrow. TCM?